News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Monopoly Fears?

Started by TaskMasterX, January 28, 2009, 12:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaskMasterX

There have been some real concerns by others that there might be some fears of torrent-type mods taking away some of the "market" for others' content that isn't included in these types of mods. After reading a comment by Podmark, I came up with the extremely brilliant idea to actually ask the community who has these fears. So here it is:
Do you, as a content creator have any concerns over your own work not getting the amount of publicity that other content creators might get that are in torrent-type mods?

Now, let me display a few rules.
1. There will be no debating in this thread. As far as I'm concerned the debating is over. ONLY those that have concerns over their own material need to post in this thread.
2. Do NOT post here if you have no concerns about your own content, but you are concerned about others content. Speak only for your own content. If someone doesn't have an issue, then there's no need to have an issue for them. If someone does have concerns, I'd be one of the first to jump in to help provide solutions to help minimize or eliminate these concerns.

tommyboy

I am not concerned about my own material being distributed via torrent.
But, I would also like any readme's or credit.txt files to be included with whatever of mine is distributed.
My permission is given, should such a thing happen, and if there is any voting on it, I vote 'yes' provided creators wishes on the matter are respected, be they yes or no. Especially the No's

TaskMasterX

TommyBoy, this thread isn't about fears of one's material being included in a torrent. It's for stating fears that your material won't get as much exposure as you'd like due to the existence of a torrent-like package that your material isn't included in. Your post is more like what should be posted in the Permissions thread.

tommyboy

Quote from: TaskMasterX on January 28, 2009, 02:19:42 PM
TommyBoy, this thread isn't about fears of one's material being included in a torrent. It's for stating fears that your material won't get as much exposure as you'd like due to the existence of a torrent-like package that your material isn't included in. Your post is more like what should be posted in the Permissions thread.

Ahh, my mistake.
Sorry.
I have no fear a torrent that doesn't include my work would damage my exposure.
People either have a limit to the amount of stuff they download, or they dont.
Those that have a limit will get whatever they get, and stop, with whatever it is that they have.
Others will keep seeking out stuff. Some will seek out what they like only.
Others will seek out everything, in a "collector" style.
With the latter two, my stuff is available and easy to find for those looking for more. And those not looking for more aren't going to download anyone elses content anyway.

Vertex

I"m told on a regular basis people don't use my stuff because it doesn't match (apparently you're all women  :P ) so I would be like .. what's different?
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

Podmark

Quote from: ips on January 28, 2009, 03:42:33 PM
how about optoin 3: concerned about the effect such "monopoly" may have on the community rather than their own personal work - i offer this since this thread seems to be an effort to understand what i was talking about

IPS answer this in one of the other threads please just cause I want to keep this one on track. But what is it exactly you're afraid of. I'm honestly curious because I really don't see how a mass content package will have much effect on anything this late in the game. I could see it being a problem if we were in the first 3 years of the community but even then back then there were so many characters and meshes that weren't done that even if everything was in the package there would still be reason to check out all the the newest content.

Anyway for me it would have no effect. Honestly there isn't much out that would effect me other than someone banning nifskope and base skins (and I'm close to the point where I could make my own base).
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

TaskMasterX

IPS, yes this thread is an effort to understand what you were talking about and to find out if it's a valid fear. Yet, your suggestion is very close, if not already crossing over rule number 2. I think that what you've suggested would actually be covered under AA's Poll. Because, by what you said, you're imposing your concerns over the artist's and their wishes. Basically, what it comes down too is, should the community impose their will upon the creator's on how they should release their material in an effort to (what some see as) keeping the community from being damaged or degraded.

That being said, I'm going to allow your option as a choice for others. BUT, after this thread is finished, the results from AA's Poll should trump any concerns for the community using your option. If a majority in AA's Poll says that artist's have the ultimate control over their material, then all we need to be concerned with in this thread is the artist's concern about their work, not the community.

TaskMasterX

Well, AA accommodated TommyBoy by adding an alternate option that he suggested. I'm sure he'd do the same for you.

TaskMasterX

Now you're trying debate the true motive of this thread. I said no debating. I've allowed you to propose your concerns and even allowed others to use your same option. I think we all understand what you are saying. You're worried about the community itself and the consequences a torrent-type package might have on the community. If I didn't explain it correctly, I'm allowing you to clarify, but please use only once sentence as I have. If I'm asking opinions of others that have a right to voice their opinions on this subject, and they don't see what you are seeing, well then, anyone can follow that to it's own conclusion.

So, to summarize, please feel free to clarify your concerns, if you already haven't, or if I didn't say it correctly for you (in trying to understand what you're talking about). But, please PM me if with any concerns over the motive of this thread, don't post them here.

AfghanAnt

This thread has really done nothing but created yet another battlefield.

I urge people who are thinking about posting here to just ignore it.

Go back to the sections and threads on the forum you love and remember why you enjoy this place.

Don't be caught up in this never ending fight for who is right because from where I see it everyone involved has done something wrong.

TaskMasterX

Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 28, 2009, 07:40:06 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't see any battles here.

And why would you tell people who might have a legitimate fear about their content to keep their mouth shut?

I think AA's post needs to be removed. Thanks.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: TaskMasterX on January 28, 2009, 07:46:44 PM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 28, 2009, 07:40:06 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't see any battles here.

And why would you tell people who might have a legitimate fear about their content to keep their mouth shut?

I think AA's post needs to be removed. Thanks.

If you don't see that this thread and IPS' (I was about to post in his as well) is just continuing the complete outrageousness of this nonsensical fight for rights, I'm sorry.
I'm not removing my post because I said nothing wrong.
I'm no longer worried about anything but trying to get this forum back to the place it was before this started.

TaskMasterX

I'm sorry but I see both IPS's and AA's last posts are counter-productive to this thread and should be deleted by a Mod. Thanks.