News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Cyber Skins

Started by Cyber Burn, February 01, 2009, 08:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

Thanks for the compliments guys, Golden Age was defenitely the feel I was going for.

I found a plug-in pack for my Paint.Net and it has offered new stuff to try out.

laughing paradox

I like the designs on these, Cyber Burn. I actually like your personal avatar the best. They really look like characters I could imagine in an old comic. I would like to suggest some highlights and seams on your skins, so we can see the boots raised off the skin, or the chest logo having a more pronounced look.

daglob

Golden Age? Look Silver Age to me.

Whichever it is, they look great!

Podmark

Cool skins. I like the designs for Cyberburn and Crimson Crusader best.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

Thanks for all the comments guys.  :thumbup:

Quote from: laughing paradox on October 03, 2010, 05:55:21 PM
I like the designs on these, Cyber Burn. I actually like your personal avatar the best. They really look like characters I could imagine in an old comic. I would like to suggest some highlights and seams on your skins, so we can see the boots raised off the skin, or the chest logo having a more pronounced look.

Cyber Burn is defenitely one of my favorites. After the last crash, I really struggled to replicate him, but in the end, I decided to go for more of a heroic look.

I agree about the highlights, but I'm not really sure how to do those, I need to go back through the tutorials and see what I can do. I thought about adding seems to Crimson Crusader and Mega Power, but I wasn't sure where to add them to get the best effect.

The logos defenitely need improvement, but when I have tried to add to them, they end up looking really cluttered.

Amazo Version 2.2

dude, did you ever finish up the skins for the other team of characters you had started? i know you were struggling with one of the skopes, did you ever figure it out?
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Cyber Burn

No, I never was happy with "Titano Sphere", so I still need to redo the skope. The only one that I actually finished is "Dark Saturnian".

Dark Saturnian is the leader of the PSA - Power Squadron of America. Along with other members: Titano Sphere, Turbomaster, and the Bronze Bat; the PSA enforce a swift and violent brand of "Justice" in Golden City. Their methods often lead them into conflict with the American Defense League.

In keeping with  :ffvstr: Four Man teams, I've decided to limit all of my teams to four members.

martialstorm

Great design for Saturnian, also like the backstory for the PSA.  Looking forward to seeing the other characters!

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: Cyber Burn on January 11, 2011, 12:06:49 AM
No, I never was happy with "Titano Sphere", so I still need to redo the skope. The only one that I actually finished is "Dark Saturnian".

Dark Saturnian is the leader of the PSA - Power Squadron of America. Along with other members: Titano Sphere, Turbomaster, and the Bronze Bat; the PSA enforce a swift and violent brand of "Justice" in Golden City. Their methods often lead them into conflict with the American Defense League.

In keeping with  :ffvstr: Four Man teams, I've decided to limit all of my teams to four members.

i like how dark saturnian turned out, good texture on the hammer. i know you had a couple of other characters for your american defense league, if you're keeping the team at 4 members, will you still finish the other characters? do you have other plans for them?
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Cyber Burn

For the most part, the skins for the SA are at about 80% complete, I'm holding off finishing them till the arthritis in my hand mellows out. As for the other characters who got dropped from the ADL, I do have plans for them. Eventually anyway. Thanks guys for the compliments.

Cyber Burn

Would anybody have a plug - in for GIMP for (DDS) files that they could send me? Or could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

ow_tiobe_sb

Clicky.  Incidentally, Paint.NET, another very nice, free digital graphics programme (which also handles layers), has native DDS support.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

detourne_me

If the plug-ins don't work I highly recommend amd's compressinator as a standalone app to convert files to DDS. I've had a higher success rate and with near perfect quality than conversions with the DDS Converter 2 program.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on January 22, 2011, 12:43:32 PM
Clicky.  Incidentally, Paint.NET, another very nice, free digital graphics programme (which also handles layers), has native DDS support.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker

Thanks tiobe, I'll check out your links. The problem with Paint.Net, is that some skins get opened up and their color change. So I am just looking for alternatives.

Quote from: detourne_me on January 22, 2011, 01:34:19 PM
If the plug-ins don't work I highly recommend amd's compressinator as a standalone app to convert files to DDS. I've had a higher success rate and with near perfect quality than conversions with the DDS Converter 2 program.

Thanks DM, I'll check this out too.

daglob

That stand alone converter does not work with Windows 7, but if you don't have that it probably won't be a problem.

detourne_me

Quote from: daglob on January 23, 2011, 02:35:34 AM
That stand alone converter does not work with Windows 7, but if you don't have that it probably won't be a problem.

Which one Daglob?  I've found both work for me,  for the compreesonator just make sure you get the right msi to install it, 32- or 64-bit

daglob

DDS Converter 2. It lets me navigate and choose files, but the Convert button stays grayed out. I load up Virtual PC and it will let em convert stuff.

The plug in for Photoshop I have that would let me work on DDS doesn't work with the new version of PS. I'm going to try the one for Gimp and see what happens.

detourne_me

Oh yeah... You need to click on the [..\] button first then you can convert.  It's like if you were changing the directories, but it doesn't really do anything except allow you to convert. 

Yeah you're right about the new PS plugin too.   Not happy about that.

I really cant express enough how great the compreesonator is though

Cyber Burn

I normally use Paint.Net, but I am trying to expand myself artistically, which is why I started playing around with GIMP.

DDS Converter 2 wouldn't let me convert, I don't remember what the problem was, it's been a while since I've tried it.

That all said, the weather is warming up out here, so the arthritis isn't as bad. I'm hoping to at least to finish some of the skins and skopes that I've started.

Cyber Burn

OK, all 4 members of the Power Squadron of America.

Bronze Bat = (Batman)
Spoiler

Dark Saturnian = (Superman)
Spoiler

Titano Sphere = (Green Lantern)
Spoiler

Turbomaster = (Flash)
Spoiler

I'm not real happy with the Bronze Bat, so he'll more than likely get re-skinned when I get the chance. Comments and critiques welcome. I promise I won't be offended. :P

BentonGrey

I like the designs you've got here CB.  I think the ones for Saturnian and Turbomaster are particularly nice.  I think Turbomaster's torso could use a little something more, though.  Maybe you should continue the motif from his legs onto his arms?  Perhaps a symbol on his chest?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 03, 2011, 05:37:21 AM
I like the designs you've got here CB.  I think the ones for Saturnian and Turbomaster are particularly nice.  I think Turbomaster's torso could use a little something more, though.  Maybe you should continue the motif from his legs onto his arms?  Perhaps a symbol on his chest?

I think I agree with you about the motif continueing from the legs to the arms, I may have to give that a try. As for the chest area, here's the original:

After looking at it for a while, I just went "UUGGHH!!" But nothing else seemed to work either, so I just left it out.

Podmark

Neat designs, but Bronze Bat seems too much like Batman.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

daglob

If you start with a dark bronze color and use the dodge and burn tools, you can get a "metallic bronze" color, although you will find that you never get the same effect twice.

laughing paradox

As I've said before, I dig your designs. I agree about Bronze Bat, though.. he's much too similar to Batman. Out of this group, I really like the Dark Saturnian's design the most, but Turbomaster is up there.

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: Podmark on February 03, 2011, 01:33:16 PM
Neat designs, but Bronze Bat seems too much like Batman.

Quote from: laughing paradox on February 03, 2011, 05:33:43 PM
As I've said before, I dig your designs. I agree about Bronze Bat, though.. he's much too similar to Batman. Out of this group, I really like the Dark Saturnian's design the most, but Turbomaster is up there.

sorry pal, i gotta agree. i think the other characters turned out really well though.

Cyber Burn

Yeah, I thinks I gots myself some more work to do before releasing these.

UnkoMan

I think the logo is what kills Bronze Bat. Maybe instead of a cross, try making the yellow part into a stylized bottom bat shape?
Oh, and... make it bronze! A bit browner, and get some refl on there. You don't always have to go all out with refl either. I find using it subtley for various surfaces looks quite good.

I see on Turbomaster you have started a bit of seam stuff. Seams are good. Very good. I highly encourage them. They can turn a just okay skin into a darned good one. I did a tutorial for those somewhere, and you could probably find others. Check a skin that you like to see if you can emulate it. You'll come up with your own way of doing it eventually.

Also, try more contrast in highlights and shadows. I see you played with it on Titano Sphere, but perhaps just actually changed the contrast? This ends up making things look grainy (as you can notice in the mask area). A better way to do this is to draw the shadows and highlights on different layers over top of the skin itself, and blend them in.

You've got interesting designs, but I know you can do recolouring now. I'd like to see these kicked up a notch. You're totally ready.

John Jr.

Great designs, they look a little with their counterparts, but in the classic "Alternate reality/divergent history" take.
Dark Saturnian is looking very good, maybe he needs a little more detail in the boots, like seams or some play with the dodge and burn tools.
Titano has a very creative design, and i really liked the colors and details. Great work!

Cyber Burn

Thanks for the kind words guys. And I defenitely appreciate the tips, I've been re-working the Bronze Bat, but I just can't seem to get the look I had in my head. I'm going to take a break from him and see what I can do to improve the others. Again, thanks for all the advice. :thumbup: