News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Cyber Skins

Started by Cyber Burn, February 01, 2009, 08:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martialstorm

I already loved Saturnian but Turbo is a very cool idea!

Amazo Version 2.2

did you keep the fx on titano sphere?
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Cyber Burn

I did two skopes, one with the FX emitter, and one without. I spent yesterday trying to update some of the skins, so I'll post pics soon.

Cyber Burn

I'm going to dust off this thread to preview a WIP. Thanks to murs for letting me use his base skin for this.

docdelorean88

VERY nice! Wonderful work! Keep it up!
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

martialstorm

Looks great Cyber, very clean :thumbup:

Amazo Version 2.2

i'm not sure i like the spilt colored mask, but thats just my own personal prefrence. i can tell that you put alot of thought into this. great stuffage.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

laughing paradox

Cyber, this latest skin came out so well! Really, you've improved so much from your early work.

I would love to see some highlights in your skins. You're definitely at the level where you can rock out some good ones. Have you ever checked out Murs' tutorial on how to create highlights for a skin? He had it posted on Youtube, but I don't recall the link. Hopefully someone can post a link.

John Jr.

FRP2 have a lot of Mur's tutorials, I believe the one about highlights is one of them.

Previsionary

Quote from: John Jr. on October 05, 2011, 05:15:40 AM
FRP2 have a lot of Mur's tutorials, I believe the one about highlights is one of them.

Correctamundo. Most, if not all, of Murs's tutes are on FRP under his own little tag.
Disappear when you least expe--

murs47

Excellent tribute to Flash. He would love it if he could see it now. Excellent work, CB. :)

Cyber Burn

Quote from: murs47 on October 05, 2011, 02:18:57 PM
Excellent tribute to Flash. He would love it if he could see it now. Excellent work, CB. :)

That means alot murs, thank you.

I'm always hesitant to try new stuff when skinning, I think I'm more critical about my work than others are. I have always felt that by keeping things simple, I won't mess them up. But LP's right, it's time to step up. Time depending, I will check out murs' tutorials.

QuoteCyber, this latest skin came out so well! Really, you've improved so much from your early work.

I give murs credit for this, his Base_Skin just complimented the skope really well..

bearded

i appreciate your minimalist style. i think they look bright and shiny ingame.

Cyber Burn

Inspired by "Mato's Ode to Benton thread, I had to jump on the Earth 3 bandwagon.

Killshot the Archer - Antimatter version of Green Arrow.

The Aquatic - Warlord Emporer of the Seven Seas.

Obviously, both need a lot of work, but at least the concepts came out the way that I wanted them.  :D

Sioux City Dynamo

Nice job!  I love your originals!
Io

laughing paradox

These are pretty cool designs, CB. I am really diggin' the Aquatic. I might recommend putting some subtle refl on him to give him a 'wet' look. (Don't forget your highlights!)

Tomato

I was going to comment on the design over in the Ode thread, but you've obviously worked on it more since the initial post, so I'll comment on it here.

I'm going to say up front that I really do love the design of Aquatic. It's on the simple side, but unique in a way that I rather like. With a bit of tweaking here and there, I could easily see this as one of the top designs in the thread. I'd be proud to use it.

That said, where this falls a tad flat is more on the side of execution. I don't want to go too in-depth about it because I'd probably overwhelm you (unfortunately I get more picky with things I actually like) but I'll make a simple suggestion:

-With extras, especially those that are supposed to be metal, gradients are your friend. Some simple gradients on the yellow pieces would help give them a bit more depth, and it'd really make the skin pop.

Cyber Burn

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys.

'Mato, what kind of changes were you thinking about?

It's been a while since I've skinned so I know I need a lot of practice. In regards to the extras, the gradiant didn't show up very well, I need to use more of a contrast in the yellows.

Podmark

Very nice designs.

When it comes to extras I usually like to lighten or darken the edges depending on where the light will hit. Basically it depends if they're usually facing upwards (gloves) then I lighten, or downwards (a shoulder pad) I darken. Gives it a more 3D look.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

UnfluffyBunny

nice designs, and yellow is an evil evil color to skin >.>
I'd like to echo Podmark's advice, it always helps to take a step back and think about lightsources, and also how edges appear, the very edge of an object is important to establish to bring in depth, a usual representation is a lightness towards the edge followed by a sudden dark representing the actual edge, if that makes any sense atall >.>, but the most dynamic effects (in my oppinion) comes from working out the balance of where to put your lightest point and where to put your darkest, maybe i'm just rambling.... feel free to ignore me XD
aaanyway, before I derail myself, I like that you've kept the mesh effect to the shirt, but I can barely make it out, adding some highlights into those edges will help establish what they are.

Cyber Burn

Working little by little on the extras, but trying not to go overboard. Still got a lot to do before I re-submit to Tomato's thread. I'm working on gradiants, reflections/lightmaps, and shadows. That said, I haven't touched the male_basic portion of the mesh again yet.

Tomato

MUCH better. Really starting to see the detail on the extras now, makes the skin pop quite a bit more.

As for what I was going to suggest... it's mostly on color usage, but I did a quick edit of your screen just to show it better. Putting in spoilers so as not to derail the thread too much.

Spoiler

-Beyond this, I'd suggest incorporating the scale mail texture you used into the refl a bit more... I usually keep a texture like scales mostly to the refl and only slightly on the standard tga, gives it a better effect overall. Also, don't be afraid to experiment with the yellows a bit, to make them more of a gold color then a shiny yellow... look at AA's femLoki or C6's Red Robin.

Cyber Burn

Thanks 'Mato, I'm having trouble getting the yellows to mach, but I am working on it. As for the belt, I did try the lines at the top and bottom, it's just not showing, I think I overdid the reflection on it. Facial alteration, I'll try it when I get back to the main mesh. As always, I appreciate the feedback.

Tomato

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 27, 2012, 05:21:24 AM
Thanks 'Mato, I'm having trouble getting the yellows to mach, but I am working on it. As for the belt, I did try the lines at the top and bottom, it's just not showing, I think I overdid the reflection on it. Facial alteration, I'll try it when I get back to the main mesh. As always, I appreciate the feedback.

Actually, it's more likely you're putting the lines on the wrong part of the wireframe. The "top" of the belt is not the top of the wireframe... most belt maps have sections at the top and bottom for where they go into the torso.

Spoiler

Most belt wires aren't exactly like this, but the one on my av was the best example I had on hand from my own skins and I mapped the bevel sections a bit smaller then most male belt versions. Basically, the things you want to note here are:

-the highlight at the top and shadow at the bottom are both slightly inside the boundaries of the middle section... if you put them centered on the line they tend to look goofy.
-On my belts, I usually darken the space in the top and bottom sections (I don't know why I made the bottom section is brighter under the shadow line... but wevs, you never really see it anyway) to put more emphasis on the raised portion of the belt.

One thing you might also look at it the belt on Teknos... for that one, I used highlights on both the top and bottom of the skin. It doesn't look right on all belts, but I usually experiment with it because every so often a highlight at the bottom will make the belt definitions a touch sharper

Cyber Burn

So I decided to strip the effects and redo the basics, I took some of Tomato's advice (Face and belt) and am pleased so far. I'm still trying to get all the yellows to match after playing with the gradient tool, but I'm still struggling there. Made some changes to the base design (Boots and gloves).

The helmet is really throwing me off in regards to getting the colors where I want them. Once I'm satisfied with that, then I'll redo the reflections. Any and all advice is always welcome and appreciated.  :thumbup: Thanks for all I've gotten so far.

TonmaFan

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 28, 2012, 12:39:05 AM

This looks great! Don't worry about the helmet, it'll look amazing with reflections added :)
I have a Yahoo group now, click here!

Cyber Burn

Thanks TonmaFan.

Here's the final version.

Cyber Burn

Updated WIP of Killshot: My CSA's version of Green Arrow.

I kept the red because I do not like working with yellow.

Tomato

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 28, 2012, 03:50:21 AM
Updated WIP of Killshot: My CSA's version of Green Arrow.

I kept the red because I do not like working with yellow.

So instead of the biggest pain in the tucas color, you're using the second biggest pain in the butt color? I guess that makes sense, sort of.

Cyber Burn

But I at least like red.  :P