GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Movie Super Bowl Clip Online

Started by Flying_Infant, February 01, 2009, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figure Fan

Hmm..

You know, it actually doesn't look that bad, but I can't shake the feeling that some of the shots are..under developed. Granted, there is still a 6 month stretch. Destro seems interesting, but why are people bouncing around in Halo (the game) suits?

zuludelta

It looks okay for what it is... I'm just glad that we're finally getting a live-action GI Joe film after something like two and a half decades after the property was first optioned... just to give you guys an idea of how long the live-action movie has been in development limbo, I still have the issue of the original series where writer Larry Hama, in the letters page, talks about how actor Louis Gossett Jr. was in talks about playing Roadblock. Freaking Louis Gossett Jr.!!! He's gotta be at least 70 years old by now.   
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

GogglesPizanno

Aside from the generic "black leather body armor" posters, everything else about this film is looking more and more sorta tongue in cheek and cartoony. Which actually has me more interested. The idea of trying to do a totally serious GI Joe movie based on the source material is kinda ridiculous. But if he goes more the route he did with the Mummy movies, then I am actually intrigued.

BentonGrey

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on February 01, 2009, 08:13:37 PM
Aside from the generic "black leather body armor" posters, everything else about this film is looking more and more sorta tongue in cheek and cartoony. Which actually has me more interested. The idea of trying to do a totally serious GI Joe movie based on the source material is kinda ridiculous. But if he goes more the route he did with the Mummy movies, then I am actually intrigued.
(Emphasis Added)

Goggles, did you ever read the Hama comics from the 80's?  They were serious, or mostly so, and were FANTASTIC.  He was a Vietnam vet, and the comics were shot through with brilliantly subtle, human moments for his characters, fascinating social commentary (for a kid's comic), and true heroism.  This movie looks to embarrass itself in comparison. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

GogglesPizanno

I did in fact go through my GI Joe comic phase. And I liked them. I petered out after a while, so I don't know if I got to the truly serious storylines. But when I say source material, I mean the cartoon, as this movie is clearly based on the cartoon mythology and way less the comic book.

Which is why when a lot of people see potential sillyness I get a little excited. I mean if they have anything even close to the MASS Device (which the eiffel tower scene looks like it could hint at that kind of thing)... then its not meant to be taken seriously at all.

And realistically even if you tried to do some kind of legitimate serious take with social commentary etc... the fact it is being tied to the brand name GI Joe -- hampers that approach by sheer association as way more people are going to go into this through the eyes of a cartoon/toy line and not some semi serious comic book from the 80's.

That's the inherent problem of doing a GI Joe movie is that the line you have to walk to make it credible to all the various perceptions of the characters is so fine.

Silver Shocker

I kinda don't know how to feel. Somehow I just know this movie is going to be incredibly bad, it just seems so wrong.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

To me, the whole G.I. Joe concept is just about perfect for a serious movie.

You have a terrorist organization causing trouble and war on the terrorists being run by a secret branch of the military.  Fits right in with modern times.

There aren't really too many fantastic elements to begin with.  You just have a good potential for a serious movie.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

zuludelta

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on February 01, 2009, 10:29:40 PM
That's the inherent problem of doing a GI Joe movie is that the line you have to walk to make it credible to all the various perceptions of the characters is so fine.

Good point. The producers probably decided early on that they would base the movie more on the cartoon than the comic book, seeing as how more people got exposed to the former than the latter.

But like I said earlier, at this point, I don't even care if they base the movie on the horribly-received early 1990s DiC cartoon. As a fan from way back in the day of the RAH toys and comics, I'll take a live action GI Joe movie any way I can take it. The classic Hama comics will always be there for me to read and enjoy if I want what I think of as "my" GI Joe (and he's also writing an upcoming rebooted series for IDW comics... I read a sneak preview in this month's Toyfare and it's awesome so far... much more Tom Clancy than Saturday morning cartoon from the looks of it) and I don't think this GI Joe film, no matter how bad it might turn out to be, will diminish what's gone before (and really, it doesn't look all that bad considering how many more ways Hollywood could have screwed it up). 

TheMarvell

it looks like a potentially entertaining summer action movie, with lots of explosions and high arse-kickery. Kind of like the Transformers movie, which paved the way for this film to happen. And honestly, that's all I'm expecting. This is merely a cash-in on a once popular toy line, while hopefully at the same time rebooting interest in a nostalgic franchise. The teaser has my interest, and I suppose that's all that matters. However, while I really liked the first two Mummy movies, the directors third movie after that was Van Helsing, which was downright terrible. So I hope it's much more like the fun action-adventure Mummy movies (especially the first one) and much less like the shriek-infested, cheesy crapfest Helsing.

Glitch Girl

Personal impressions:

It goes very fast, hard to pick out many characters beyond Baroness and Snakeyes.

The green stuff eating the Eiffel Tower makes me think of the Mass Device mini series, the one that started the cartoon series.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.

"From the Director of the Mummy".  I hated the Mummy, so not a selling point to me.

Snakeeyes looks frickin' awesome. 

Stalker does too...oh wait, it's NOT Stalker.  (yeah I know, but I'm still wondering why they decided the go the route they did)

Lots of leaping around and stuff exploding, typical summer movie fare, neither good not bad at this stage (for example, Iron Man could be called typical summer movie fare, and it rocked)

I'm sure more will be leaked as time goes on, we'll see how it goes.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

cmdrkoenig67

Possible spoilers....
Why does the Baroness look just like Lisa Loeb?  Why are the Joes wearing a lot of black leather-like clothing (the Matrix syndrome strikes again?)?  Why is Eccleston not wearing a silver mask?  Why does Snake Eyes have, what appears to be superhuman abilities?  Do these films really have to have this much CGI? 

I agree with CatWhoWalksAlone about the concept being great for a serious film (it could be a fantastic film, if done well), but I am doubting this film will be it.

Dana

crimsonquill

Spoiler
Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on February 02, 2009, 04:55:56 PM
Why does the Baroness look just like Lisa Loeb?

It's really just because of the actress picked to play the part.. who is more or less a cute popular actress. Put her in a black wig, fake glasses or sunglasses, and a skin tight leather outfit with two guns and you end up with a villian who looks like a popular emo-looking singer who is armed. Baroness is supposed to be gorgeous and yet deadly scary at the same time... like her wrapping her arms around you being totally seductive as she snapped your neck and just before you die you realize she also had her gun at your head too. Don't quite get that feeling in the clips they showed. I'll hold my full judgement until I get a scene with actual dialogue and hopefully a scene with her seducing Destro and being blown off because he rather blow up a few Joes.

Why are the Joes wearing a lot of black leather-like clothing (the Matrix syndrome strikes again?)?

GI Joe is a stealthly strike force that doesn't "exist".. so standing around wearing colored (often neon-colored like the later toys were) individualized costumes and yelling "Yo Joe!' at the top of their lungs before attacking terrorist agents who are also trying to hide in plain site (at this point) doesn't really work too well. Since the movie is about the origins of both Cobra and GI Joe I'm sure that the more recognizeable elements will appear in the movie towards the end. And come to think of it....I'm sure we will get the line-up of GI Joe in their official uniforms (or some variation of them) going "Yo Joe!" at least once at the end when the team is introduced to the world after the events of the movie.

Why is Eccleston not wearing a silver mask?

I'm getting the impression that since Eccleston requires "face time" they just took part of the roles of Tomax and Xamot and blended them with Destro. Hence we have Destro playing two roles.. A businessman with lots of polictical power in public and does his secret arms dealing in the underground market while weaing his "family" mask.. but when he must deal with GI Joe interfearing with his business dealings then he will join the big battle at the end along with his private army.

Why does Snake Eyes have, what appears to be superhuman abilities?

He is a Ninja and a Commando... Add those two things together in a big budget movie that must compete with superhero movies and giant transforming robots. You end up with a super ninja that can rival any character seen in an anime series that can do martial arts plus can alter physics and slow down time for action shots.

Do these films really have to have this much CGI? 

This question is answered above... "big budget movie that must compete with superhero movies and giant transforming robots".

- CQ

"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Figure Fan

BentonGrey

The Destro bit is unforgivable.  They should have cast someone with a good voice (his really isn't all that impressive) who wouldn't worry about wearing a mask.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

crimsonquill

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 03, 2009, 02:40:34 AM
The Destro bit is unforgivable.  They should have cast someone with a good voice (his really isn't all that impressive) who wouldn't worry about wearing a mask.

I wouldn't worry about Destro's voice too much... yet....If they plan on keeping his "masked" life secret then he will most likely have an altered voice when wearing it and it will probably be deep and metallic. It would explain why Eccleston needed face time because if he masked up as Destro and wouldn't be recognized visually or by voice as the actor then he would need to be seen on cam for awhile.

I don't count Snake-Eyes under this rule too much because Ray Park is used to being masked up and silent.. they just made his face shield slightly transparent so they can do those close up shots of his eyes when they need an emotional moment from him. I'm not sure if they might have some flashback face time with him in his pre-war days so we can get some idea of how close he was to his fellow teammates before he was muted and disfigured. And please don't tell me I'm spoiling the film by telling this detail about him... if you are reading this thread then you read the comic or watched the cartoon.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

zuludelta

Quote from: crimsonquill on February 02, 2009, 08:24:44 PM
It's really just because of the actress picked to play the part.. who is more or less a cute popular actress. Put her in a black wig, fake glasses or sunglasses, and a skin tight leather outfit with two guns and you end up with a villian who looks like a popular emo-looking singer who is armed... I'll hold my full judgement until I get a scene with actual dialogue and hopefully a scene with her seducing Destro and being blown off because he rather blow up a few Joes.

It's probably an age thing, too. The actress playing Baroness looks relatively young. In my head, I've always pictured her as the sexy older type. I would've cast Monica Belluci, personally, but then again, I'd probably cast Monica Belluci in every movie.

Why are the Joes wearing a lot of black leather-like clothing (the Matrix syndrome strikes again?)?

I don't mind that the producers/designers decided to go for a uniform look for the Joes, but yeah, the all-black get-ups aren't really doing it for me... for one thing, it makes Snake-Eyes and the Baroness look somewhat less unique (the Baroness, particularly, could just as well be Scarlett or Lady Jaye but with glasses on and darker hair).

Quote from: crimsonquillGI Joe is a stealthly strike force that doesn't "exist".. so standing around wearing colored (often neon-colored like the later toys were) individualized costumes and yelling "Yo Joe!' at the top of their lungs before attacking terrorist agents who are also trying to hide in plain site (at this point) doesn't really work too well

Good point.

As an aside, black isn't a very stealthy color choice for a uniform in today's modern battlefield. Black shows up much more readily under IR and night-vision devices because of its tendency to absorb all sorts of emitted radiation. In fact, the current ACU (Army Combat Uniform) has eliminated black altogether from its camouflage patterns, as they actually stand out the most in virtually all types of combat environments (night and day) as tested by the scientists at the Natick Soldier Center (there aren't very many tactical environments that consist of extensive solid black areas... even at night, a person wearing solid black tends to stand out from the rest of the darkened environment).

That being said, I think most "civilians" still think that "black = stealthy," so I can't really fault the guys behind the movie's costumes for going with it. Having the Joes suited up in sage green and gray (the dominant colors in most modern military camouflage patterns) would probably have even more fans howling and shaking their fists in rage. 

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: crimsonquill on February 02, 2009, 08:24:44 PM
Spoiler
Why does the Baroness look just like Lisa Loeb?

It's really just because of the actress picked to play the part.. who is more or less a cute popular actress. Put her in a black wig, fake glasses or sunglasses, and a skin tight leather outfit with two guns and you end up with a villian who looks like a popular emo-looking singer who is armed. Baroness is supposed to be gorgeous and yet deadly scary at the same time... like her wrapping her arms around you being totally seductive as she snapped your neck and just before you die you realize she also had her gun at your head too. Don't quite get that feeling in the clips they showed. I'll hold my full judgement until I get a scene with actual dialogue and hopefully a scene with her seducing Destro and being blown off because he rather blow up a few Joes.

GI Joe is a stealthly strike force that doesn't "exist".. so standing around wearing colored (often neon-colored like the later toys were) individualized costumes and yelling "Yo Joe!' at the top of their lungs before attacking terrorist agents who are also trying to hide in plain site (at this point) doesn't really work too well. Since the movie is about the origins of both Cobra and GI Joe I'm sure that the more recognizeable elements will appear in the movie towards the end. And come to think of it....I'm sure we will get the line-up of GI Joe in their official uniforms (or some variation of them) going "Yo Joe!" at least once at the end when the team is introduced to the world after the events of the movie.

Why is Eccleston not wearing a silver mask?

I'm getting the impression that since Eccleston requires "face time" they just took part of the roles of Tomax and Xamot and blended them with Destro. Hence we have Destro playing two roles.. A businessman with lots of polictical power in public and does his secret arms dealing in the underground market while weaing his "family" mask.. but when he must deal with GI Joe interfearing with his business dealings then he will join the big battle at the end along with his private army.

Why does Snake Eyes have, what appears to be superhuman abilities?

He is a Ninja and a Commando... Add those two things together in a big budget movie that must compete with superhero movies and giant transforming robots. You end up with a super ninja that can rival any character seen in an anime series that can do martial arts plus can alter physics and slow down time for action shots.

Do these films really have to have this much CGI? 

This question is answered above... "big budget movie that must compete with superhero movies and giant transforming robots".

- CQ

You just have all the answers, don't CQ! GGGRRRRRRR!  :angry:

;)

billdamn22

Figure Fan

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

GogglesPizanno

Furthering my theory of it being a train wreck of epic proportions, I cant help but be excited by the prospect of so bad its good!

Ajax

Cheer up. The animated G.I. Joe movie will be coming out soon and will be airing on AS. Behold I am the bearer of good tidings for this actually looks good. :D

http://www.theterrordrome.com/2009/04/finally-a-gi-joe-resolute-premiere-date/

catwhowalksbyhimself

The thing is, Cobra Commander is pretty much the easiest characters get get right as far as looks goes.  You pretty much have to not even try to get the character right to get him wrong, which is obviously what happened.  He isn't even wearing a military type uniform any more.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

GogglesPizanno

I saw this this afternoon.
I still think it looks like an trainwreck of awesomeness.
Even more so now... Underwater bases, crazy green supergoo missiles, robotic armor suits...

BentonGrey

Wow...you know, I was actually considering seeing this, just to enjoy Snake Eyes being awesome...but I don't think I can forgive that crime against humanity which is their design for Cobra Commander.  I really, REALLY love CC...and I just can't handle that.  So, I'll be skipping this film.
God Bless

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Midnite on April 04, 2009, 01:27:37 AM
:spoiler:

First look at Cobra Commander  :banghead:

I choked on my own siliva when I read the comments of the guy who posted the pic:

QuoteWEARING A SLEEVELESS TRENCHCOAT.
HAS A BAZOOKA WITH FIRES A LARGE Bible.
HAS TUBES CONNECTING HIS HEAD AND CHEST, TO EITHER TRANSPORT CHESTJUICE TO HIS SKULL, OR SKULLJUICE TO HIS CHEST.
AND HIS HEAD IS A GIANT CRUNCHBERRY.

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad.  Look at the viper mask in the trailer, I'd imagine CC's won't be that much of a departure and quite frankly, I didn't expect a full faceplate or a hood even.  But according to what they've said so far, CC is supposed to be like the Emperor from Empire Strikes Back, which means his presence will be minimum with Destro and the Baroness being the lead baddies.

What I still find most unforgiveable is the lineup of Joes.  Of course you could hardly go wrong with Hawk, Duke, Snake-Eyes and Scarlett, but Ripcord?  Heavy-Duty?  And I know he's an original, but Breaker?

And STILL, WTF is with those damn suits?  I'm getting a little use to them and I'm glad I see they aren't exactly as static as they look(I detest the idea of everyone looking alike), but still...  :thumbdown:

detourne_me

http://superherohype.com/news/gijoenews.php?id=8296

New trailer.
Looks ok i guess. i never really got into gi joe when i was a kid (i always thought they were like the village people of saturday morning)
It's interesting to see Stormshadow and Snake Eyes.
Also i find it interesting that this is another summer hit movie with a Korean in the cast (posing as a Japanese character). Living in Korea we get a lot of media hype when movies have Korean supporting actors. For example other movies with similar situations are Wolverine, Star Trek, and Speed Racer.