Please help with iron man mod-error in DL'ed file. Any help welcome!

Started by splunge, February 06, 2009, 01:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splunge

My 8 year old son is a big Iron Man fan.  I found the Iron Mod on the Comprehensive ist of Mods here on the website and DL'd it.  When i try the autoinstaller, it stalls saying a file (desert texture, I believe) is an invalid format and quits. I tried the DL several times, even using a different browser with the same result. 

Does anyone use that mod? If so, how did you get around the trouble?  Alternatively, does anyone know of another mod with "shell head" or a mesh/skin for him?  The Avenger's mod at the mod graveyard looked promising, but my virus scanner found a trojan is the executable.  I've looked for meshes/skins but the number of sources for meshes/skins is large and joining yet another dozen Yahoo groups in hopes of finding what I want is daunting!

Thanks for any help

tommyboy

Hi, welcome.
Are you referring to the AvengersSpecial Mod at the graveyard?
Because I just downloaded it and scanned the exe file with Nod32, AVG, Comodo AV, and Spybot Search and destroy. None found any hint of a problem.
If it is the AvengersSpecial, can you please tell me what Antivirus software found the problem, and the name of the Trojan it found, as it would be nice to either clean the files, or to put your mind at rest.
i'm 99% sure the Mod is clean, it's mine, I uploaded it, and just checked the exe myself. But obviously if there is any doubt, I'd like to sort out the problem.

splunge

Thanks TommyBoy.  I'm at work now.  Can I PM you with that info when I get home?
Do you like the Avengers mod?  Does it include Ironman?

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm pretty sure he means the actual Iron Mod, which worked last time I tried it, although that was an old download, not the current one that I actually tried.

Also, tommyboy made the Avenger's Special, so asking him if he likes it isn't exactly the best question.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

ffjands

I vaguely remember the auto-installer software (clickteam?) would occasionally give a false trojan warning. Does anyone else remember that issue?

splunge

I got the defective file warning on Iron mod with the autoinstaller stopping.  I got the virus warning the the executable in the Avengers mod (? the 5th piece downloaded)  the warning came from Avast home edition, and as I'm not at home to try it, I can't tell you what the virus warning was.  I'll try a DL here at work and test with the office Symantec.
edit:came back clean

catwhowalksbyhimself

Antivirus programs do give false positives from time to time.

Anything linked to from stickied topics can be safely considered safe if posted by established community members.

splunge

I ran the file through virus total and it came clean except for Avast and GData which reported it as Win32:Spyware-gen and AhnLab-V3 which reported it as Win32/IRCBot.worm.variant.
I agree it sounds like a false positive, but you can appreciate my being paranoid.  I've lost my harddrive to viruses on 2 occasions.

tommyboy

Quote from: splunge on February 06, 2009, 07:10:17 PM
I ran the file through virus total and it came clean except for Avast and GData which reported it as Win32:Spyware-gen and AhnLab-V3 which reported it as Win32/IRCBot.worm.variant.
I agree it sounds like a false positive, but you can appreciate my being paranoid.  I've lost my harddrive to viruses on 2 occasions.

No worries, if my AV picks up something, I'm a little paranoid too. I think its quite reasonable to be.
If you retain any doubt, no Mod is worth that much risk, (particularly not mine).
There are plenty of other Mods, and I hope you can get the rather good Iron Mod to work, too.

splunge

Thanks TommyBoy!

Any more thoughts on getting IronMod to run.  I'm home and the error message is, "Art\library\area_specific\_textures\terrain_desert.tga: This file contains incvalid data. (error 21FC)"

Mean anything to anyone?  Anyone know of another source for it or how to work around this with the auto installer?

GogglesPizanno

It sounds like a corrupted download.
Have you tried downloading it again? Sometimes that will fix the problem.

splunge

I re-downloaded, downloaded with firefox instead of Internet Explorer, I tried hitting run instead of save when I DL'd, all hitting the same error.
Anyone know, is there another source for the mod?  Can anyone send it as an attachment/bit torrent (I'm a little shaky on how that works though)
Heck, anyone know an Ironman mesh/skin.  My 8 year old would be happy to run him in the danger room.

cryonic2099

heh, just go to Tommy's site...he's got all the Ironman you could ever want.

splunge

GogglesPizanno

If you're new to the community and are looking for skins and meshes, in addition to Tommyboy's site and scouring the yahoo groups, there are also a few of the remaining big sites that are pretty standard for getting new stuff:

Renegades Mesh site also hosts some of C6's skins which has a few Iron Men as well.
http://www.renegadetoybox.com/

There's Alex's site where you can get all manner of stuff from numerous people.
http://www.alexff.com/

Also new power inc which hosts a lot of Valandar's and Vertex's VxMeshes.
http://newpowerinc.com/

There are others you kind find listed here and in the wiki, but these offer a lot of bang for your buck in terms of content and creators in a centralized location.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I would actually suspect a corrupted upload.  The file in question is on my website.

I'll look into it.

splunge

TommyBoy, I played the first successfully.  The second (which is epsiode 4) on install says it requires all three prior to run.

Catwhowalksbyhimself, I'll wait to hear back.

Thanks everyone for the assistance!  Great community!

tommyboy

Quote from: splunge on February 08, 2009, 05:05:11 AM
TommyBoy, I played the first successfully.  The second (which is epsiode 4) on install says it requires all three prior to run.

Catwhowalksbyhimself, I'll wait to hear back.

Thanks everyone for the assistance!  Great community!

Sorry about that. I know I must have had Episode 2 and 3 at some point, because I still have the mod installed, and the readmes for those episodes are in the Mods folder.
I'd offer to zip up the whole Mod, but my own version has been altered as I've substituted various meshes and skins over the years, so it wouldn't be right to redistribute someone elses Mod having altered it.
I hope you've at least enjoyed the first bit..

splunge

That's cool TommyBoy.
BTW, I reported the likely false psoitive to Avast, so I imagine pretty soon they'll change the definitions to allow it.

itachi1

I found the four-eyed Avenger's old page at

http://web.archive.org/web/20040805071532/http://www.anycities.com/jbodin/ironmod.html

And there's episodes 1-5 and a patch for level 5.

I was actually able to find one of the dates archived that had the zips for eps 1 and 3, and I'll keep trying for 2, 5 and the patch.

The files were hosted at http://irlheat.bhmotorsports.com/FF but the index page in the archive seems to be worse than the other one for a complete list of links.

Anyone get all 6 parts?  Anyone in touch with jbodin/four-eyed?  (who also hosted the two other mods I asked about in another thread)  Maybe we can put up a full copy of the stuff somewhere.  It's just a shame for any of this stuff to get lost forever due to apathy when others could be introduced to some good work and get jazzed by it.

hurm.