How do you use a hero file in FFVTTR

Started by dman, February 07, 2009, 04:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman

Hi Guys,

I recently reinstalled  :ffvstr: and found all of these incredible custom heroes and this most excellent community!

FFX is great, though I still haven't begun to figure out all of the options and custom powers.

I've been messing around a lot on my own to figure out how to incorporate new meshes and skins into the game.  So far I've figured out that you can copy the nif and skin files into the custom directory, but I'm still stumbling around trying to figure it all out. 

Can someone kindly point me to a guide to help out with this?
Can you tell me how to use .hero files in  :ffvstr:?

I realize these are probably newbish sorts of questions, but I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks for all you do.

GogglesPizanno

A lot of the basics can be found here:
http://frworld.wikispaces.com/

As for the Hero Files, When you create a new character in the game, it creates a hero file. They are usually located
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes

You will have to turn on hidden files in windows in order to navigate there as its a hidden folder.

Now if you download hero files from someplace (such as USAgent's pack) you just have to move those files into this directory. But you also need to make sure that whatever mesh and skin the downloaded hero file uses you have installed or else it wont show up in game. You can use a tool like Alex's EZ Hero to view/edit a lot of the nuts and bolts of hero files (including mesh and skin paths).
http://www.alexff.com/ezhero.php

dman

Thanks very much, GP!

I will delve in and see what I can figure out.  Your help is much appreciated.

Figure Fan

How about in Vista, because I can't any of these folders. I also can't find a tutorial around :-/

Previsionary

Same deal in vista, but with a minor change. Keep in mind that the folders are "hidden" until you change your settings.

QuoteC:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes
Disappear when you least expe--

Figure Fan

Hurm, well, I'm not sure how to make them visible now. I thought I already did that, but apparently not.

USAgent

Also if you do use other's hero files like Taskmaster's or mine and you don't have the exact mesh/skin that the hero files use you can easily use Alex's hero tool to point the hero file to the mesh that you use for that character but you may have to go in game to edit the keyframes to match up with the attacks better.
Example: If I used Renagade's Captain America mesh for my hero file and you used Grenadier's Cap America and want to use my hero file you might have to edit the keyframes in game because I may use say, melee_2 for a punch using Ren's mesh and your Gren's mesh's melee_2 might actually be a "kick" animation.

stumpy

Quote from: Figure Fan on April 22, 2009, 05:59:38 PMHurm, well, I'm not sure how to make them visible now. I thought I already did that, but apparently not.

There's a note on making hidden file and folders visible in the Game FAQ. It was written for XP, but I think the process is essentially the same.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Figure Fan

Quote from: stumpy on April 22, 2009, 07:13:07 PM
Quote from: Figure Fan on April 22, 2009, 05:59:38 PMHurm, well, I'm not sure how to make them visible now. I thought I already did that, but apparently not.

There's a note on making hidden file and folders visible in the Game FAQ. It was written for XP, but I think the process is essentially the same.

Hmm..I can't follow those steps though because Vista doesn't let you view folder options and whatnot.  :(

stumpy

I don't have Vista, but I think you can do the same thing from the Control Panel by clicking the Appearance and Personalization widget (or Folder Options -> View in the classic control panel view). There should be a Show Hidden Files and Folders section there.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Figure Fan

Thanks for the help guys. I got it now :-)