Wonder Woman animated film

Started by 77, February 22, 2009, 12:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I watched, didn't seem that great but I enjoyed some of the one liners

stumpy

I liked some of the comedic bits, too. That scene with Trevor getting hammered was pretty funny.

But, overall, somehow, it seemed a little... uninspired?

The characters didn't particularly sound right to me, though it's tough to say why. Maybe Keri Russel just doesn't sound like I expect Wonder Woman to sound, though Susan Eisenberg hit it the first time I heard her on the animated Justice League series. And, Lucy Lawless was excellent in Justice League: The New Frontier.

The art wasn't really much to write home about either. The direction was fine and the battle scenes were well done. But, the characters didn't look especially distinctive. Diana could really have been any tall, dark-haired woman. Visually, she didn't really stand out from the other Amazons, or the other human women for that matter, except for height. I understand that part of the issue there is that she spent most of the movie not in costume. But, I think Bruce Timm set the standard for DC to meet in these movies, and his Diana looked distinctive to me, even out of costume. There wasn't any difficulty in telling Diana from, say, Lois Lane or Carol Ferris. And, though some credit for that goes to Timm's stylized drawing, I think JL:TNF also managed to portray a distinctive Diana. Somehow, they missed the mark this time.

Don't get me  wrong. None of it was really terrible. But, nothing really stands out as excellent, either, which I think leaves a 'meh' impression. Probably most of the several Diana-centric episodes of JL and JLU are better.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

kaflinkle

I agree with stumpy, it was very uninspiring, I'd go as far to say a bit flat.

The problem was also Aries, to have a good hero/herione, you have to have a good villain and Aries was just plain boring and all that 'I'm now more powerfull than all the gods' bit at the end was very cliched.

So far only 2 out of the 4 DC animated films I've seen (Batman: Gotham Knight, JL: A New Frontier, Superman Doomsday, Wonder Woman) have been any good. That is obviously Superman Doomsday and Justice League. Obviously my opinion.

I did enjoy some parts; the interrogation of Steve Trevor on the Island (I'm not going to try and spell it) with the lasso, Steve Trevor getting drunk, the fight with the snake beard demon thing was fun. Steve Trevor was a good supporting character.

I've just seen the Hulk vs films as well and I have to say they were fun. The Hulk vs Wolverine was really good and if Deadpool is half as good in the Wolverine film as he is in Hulk vs Wolverine, then it'll be good.

thalaw2

I agree with the rest of you.  Not a great movie.  I'm glad I didn't buy it.  What saved this movie was good acting for me.  The animation was par for the course.  Also, there was too much unexplained (e.g. the Invisible Jet). 

I also liked the Hulk vs. Wolvie move too.  I wasn't too happy about
Spoiler
Wolvie beating the Hulk!!!  Come on!!!!!!
but the movie was very entertaining.
革命不会被电视转播

Xenolith

I would also agree about the Wonder Woman movie.  It wasn't one of DC's best, but it was still better than most of the Marvel films.

Talavar

Quote from: thalaw2 on March 05, 2009, 09:18:19 AM
I also liked the Hulk vs. Wolvie move too.  I wasn't too happy about
Spoiler
Wolvie beating the Hulk!!!  Come on!!!!!!
but the movie was very entertaining.

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.  In the first go-round, Wolverine gets the upper hand (certainly not a clear win) and then they both got tranq-ed out of their gourds.  In the final go-round we get a Rocky II ending, precisely so they don't have to show one or the other character actually win.

Mr. Hamrick

Apparently, the live action Wonder Woman movie may be back in the pipeline soon.  I understand from an actress who I am acquainted with that she submitted an audition video recently.  I don't know if that means anything but I have seen the video and its not bad.