News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

FFVSTR Meshes and Converting FF Basic Meshes

Started by Torch, March 02, 2009, 10:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torch

Hello all.  I am new to the forums but have been playing  :ff: since it first was released.  I recently purchased and have started playing  :ffvstr: and had a few questions.  I have browsed the 'Meshes' forums and looked over 'FR World'.

I realize there is an issue with some of the original  :ff: meshes and  :ffvstr:  It appears that some of the modding community did not appreciate this when  :ffvstr: was released.  I notice Tommyboy has done an outstanding job of releasing a large number of meshes that appear to work with  :ffvstr:  Bravo and Thank You!

I also notice that when I copy and paste the basic meshes from  :ff: into the appropriate folders of  :ffvstr: it doesn't recognize them (male_basic, female_basic, etc).  What I then decided to do was copy the male_basic skins I had into the nocapeman folder.  It works to some extent, but since the base nocapeman mesh has a deep blue and red combo, many of the skins have the blue and red bleeding through (or maybe it is because the skins are for a slightly smaller mesh?).  Either way they don't look very good.  What has been the community fix?  Is it to move on with exclusive  :ffvstr: meshes and skins and ditch the old ones?  Or have the  :ff: meshes been converted and available for download to be compatible with  :ffvstr:?

Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Gremlin

Actually, the modders DID appreciate the switch. The meshers we had still around mostly switched to FFvTTR, like Vertex and Renegade, not to mention all the skopers. A lot of people have dedicated a lot of time and energy into this game, please don't knock their efforts. You probably don't mean to insult, but just keep that in mind. ^_^

The problem you're having is because the character.nifs for FF are not compatible with FFvTTR. However, there's a quick solution! The FFvTTR modding tools come with a nif convert, or even better, Lightning Man created an EZNifConvert tool on Alex's Freedom Fortress. Once you go through your meshes with the conversion, you'll be set. Careful to only do that to copies, though, because you can't de-convert meshes back to the original game!

The problem with nocapeman is the refl and glow files, parts of the skin that give it effects. Just throw a little black square .tga file (I don't think dimensions matter) and name it nocapeman_glow.tga and nocapeman_refl.tga to get rid of the bleeding.

Welcome to the boards, Torch! ^_^

Torch

Thank you for the info Gremlin.  And I meant no disrespect at all!  On the contrary, I am very much into modding games and appreciate all the TLC modders contribute to a game.  I am very glad Irrational chose to make this game so easily customizable.  I had just read somewhere that some skinners weren't happy that all the effort they put into skinning the meshes for  :ff: appeared to be wasted (maybe only at first?) on the meshes for  :ffvstr:, since they were different.

Also, thanks for the welcome!  :thumbup:

GogglesPizanno

Actually a lot of meshes for FF1 work OK in the new game. Only the occasional one will need to be converted so I would definitely try them in game or in the character tool before going through the effort of converting all of them.

And If I remember correctly a lot of the skinners had issue with the DDS file format being lesser quality than the TGA files from the first game.

daglob

Actually, Gremlin is wrong on one point: for best results the size of the black files needs to be some part or multiple of 3.667 inches by 3.667 inches square. Although I have had cases where a 1"x1" black square worked just fine, other times things got a little weird.

Previsionary

Quote from: daglob on March 03, 2009, 02:59:27 AM
Actually, Gremlin is wrong on one point: for best results the size of the black files needs to be some part or multiple of 3.667 inches by 3.667 inches square. Although I have had cases where a 1"x1" black square worked just fine, other times things got a little weird.

It goes by multiples of 2 pixels.
Disappear when you least expe--

Gremlin

Ignore this man. He's obviously crazy. I'm never wrong.

daglob

Actually, I was wrong too. It should have been 3.556 x 3.556 inches. Be careful what you write when you are running on antihistimine.

GogglesPizanno

I just tried cutting some files from my drawer into squares that size, but they just cover up the screen so i cant see the game...  :P

Grayve

Couple of problems. I'm running Vista which is probably the major cause but when using the .nif converter, the process claims to be successful but when opening the files to CT2, I get the error that it can't load the mesh. These files are the basic FF1 models (male_basic, female_basic, etc.) I'm just trying to convert to FFvTTR. I've tried to convert them singly and enmass. Also when trying to install EZNifConvert, it tries to install .NET 1.x when I have 3.0 and won't install. Any suggestions?

GogglesPizanno

I'm pretty certain that .NET installations can exist simultaneously by design, so you can technically have 1.x and 3.x installed at the same time without issue -- at least on win2k and XP.

I believe this design falls apart a little with Vista as it ships with 2.0 or better which supposedly will handle 1.x applications. However there are still applications that explicitly are looking for 1.x or they wont work right. EZNifConvert may be one of them. It should be  possible to get 1.x installed on Vista, but its not so cut and dry. Thanks to Google I found this if you want to go that route.

http://geekycoder.wordpress.com/2007/10/08/installing-microsoft-net-11-framework-on-windows-vista-without-tears/

However, there are several people on the boards who run Vista, so there may be a very simple answer that doesn't involve all this .Net hoop jumping and system tweaking.

Previsionary

That article was from 2007. I would like to think some advancements to the system would make things a bit simpler. ^^. All I did, when I had eznifconverter installed, was install .Net and went on from that point. Also, Ctool can't open every mesh depending on whether or not it has effects or how it was made. Male_Basic is an IG mesh. right? Those can be converted with some effort, but they may not always show up in ctool. They may work fine in-game, however.

As a side note, meshes based off of male_basic/female_basic/etc. show up fine in ctool as far as I have noticed.
Disappear when you least expe--

Grayve

Yeah, the _basic meshes were from the original FF and I've noticed the same thing that any meshes based on these work fine for some reason. Just thought it be nice to make characters based on the rotund and suit meshes. Ah well.

qwert44643_39

Im running windows 7 64 bit and i cant find the required version of the framework anywhere to insstall to get the  EZNif Converter to work.
Qwert
qwert_44643@yahoo.com

Cyber Burn

I could be wrong, but I believe that there is a Link to what you want at Alex's Freedom Fortress: http://www.alexff.com/goodies.php

Look under EZ Nif Converter 2.0, and you should see the Link.

qwert44643_39

yeah i  found it but it keeps saying i need an old version of ,netframework and it wont work even tho i have a modern version of .netframework
Qwert
qwert_44643@yahoo.com

WyldFyre

For Freedom!