Star Trek (2009)

Started by Midnite, March 06, 2009, 07:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

You have another link to that trailer, because I can't find it on that page anywhere.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Sevenforce

I so need booze -_-

captmorgan72

Looks like Shatner really wanted in this film http://www.moviemake-out.com/2008/10/17/abrams-to-responds-to-shatners-explanation-of-nixed-star-trek-cameo/

What do you guys think about this? I personally think that Shatner wanted the spotlight on him.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Can't see that one either.

Whatever site is hosting the film must be being blocked by something.  Oh well.

Actually, Shatner's not being too petty and is saying nice things about both Abrams and the movie in his answer on youtube, so it isn't really as big of a deal as some people are trying to make it.

TheMarvell

People are going to think I've been under a rock, but I've never really seen anything Star Trek. I think when I was little I saw one of the movies, but was too young to really remember it or grasp what was going on. I just remember what I THINK was the Enterprise crash into the ground with a lot of grass flying everywhere. Anyways, I don't have a reason, I just never got into it. That being said, this movie looks pretty cool and will probably go see it, if only to say "yes, I've seen something Star Trek from beginning to end" lol.

Dr.Volt

Looks AWESOME.  I'll be there opening night most likely.

Podmark

I'm excited about this movie. Not sure if it will turn out well but I'm hopeful.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

It seems a surprise screening of star trek happened this week. As of now, it's getting great reviews.

some early viewer reviews (1) and (2).

I was going to post a third link, but not only is it spoiler heavy, it's also swear filled. Let's just say he loved it, the surprise, and the appearance of Nimoy at said screening.  ;)
Disappear when you least expe--

GogglesPizanno

I'll one up prev with video from the actual Nimoy event.
http://blog.originalalamo.com/2009/04/07/leonard-nimoy-beamed-into-the-south-lamar-alamo/

I'm still not that excited about the movie.
But it woulda been cool to be there.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The fact that a room full of people who were fans enough to turn out for a Wrath of Kahn screening loved it, gives me great hope.  If my fellow nerds like it, than I probably will to.

Spring Heeled Jack

Should be an awesome movie. :D

I was slightly skeptical at first about handing over the project to an "outsider" like Abrams, but if he can revitalize the franchise, I'm all for it. Huzzah!

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 09, 2009, 04:37:51 PM
The fact that a room full of people who were fans enough to turn out for a Wrath of Kahn screening loved it, gives me great hope.  If my fellow nerds like it, than I probably will to.

Actually I think they are the worst guage for this kind of thing. I have friends that are huge Star Wars fans that still try and argue that Episode I-III were really good and not as bad as people say. Even though I can have my fanboy moments, I think fanboys are THE WORST people because they/we tend to be too forgiving, apologetic and self delusional to a beloved series...

Quote from: Spring Heeled Jack on April 09, 2009, 04:41:06 PM
I was slightly skeptical at first about handing over the project to an "outsider" like Abrams, but if he can revitalize the franchise, I'm all for it. Huzzah!

I'm a fan of handing things to outsiders, especially franchises that are so inbred with the original creators/overseers. So when I heard about it, I was intrigued. But Im not a fan of Abrams and the more i read about how it was still trying to retain connections to the original series etc... that when i started losing interest. I mean if your going to reboot a stagnant franchise with all new people, reboot it, re-imagine, re-interprid... give it a kick in the ol keester.

Spring Heeled Jack

Yeah, that's a tricky line to walk. Trying to reinvigorate a fictional universe without discarding too much--yeesh.

You're right about needing to hand the properties to an outside creator who isn't "inbred." It can really work sometimes, provided said creator respects the world he's stepping into. I'm not a fan of hacking something apart and picking out the most commercially viable segments. If that's the case, create something new.

But yes, I'm interested in what Abrams will do. :D

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on April 09, 2009, 05:19:42 PM
Quote from: Spring Heeled Jack on April 09, 2009, 04:41:06 PM

I'm a fan of handing things to outsiders, especially franchises that are so inbred with the original creators/overseers. So when I heard about it, I was intrigued. But Im not a fan of Abrams and the more i read about how it was still trying to retain connections to the original series etc... that when i started losing interest. I mean if your going to reboot a stagnant franchise with all new people, reboot it, re-imagine, re-interprid... give it a kick in the ol keester.

I like the idea of handing it an outsider.  And unlike you, Goggles, I have no particular qualms with Abrams work.  I'm not a huge fan of his but I like his work. 

However, for the most part, I am NOT much a Trek fan.  I have watched it before.  I watched TNG off and on when it was first on and occasionally in later seasons.  And I certain was not much of a fan of the the spinoffs nor the original series.  However, I liked the earlier Star Trek films, mostly from "Wrath of Kahn" until "First Contact".  The biggest turn-off for me are some of the fanatical fans who treat Trek as though it was a religious experience of some kind.  I've gotten better about it as I have gotten older but it still is a bit of a turn-off. 

What I am more interested to see is if Abrams can make the series interesting for me as a non-Star Trek fan (which from the previews it seems he has) as much as the die-hard "Kirk and Picard are deities" Trekkie fan.  I suspect (and maybe hope) he does the former more than the latter.

Spring Heeled Jack

Pfft. Everyone knows if you want a god, you get a Sisko. ;)

Good point, though. I've always been very enthusiastic about Star Trek (especially DS9 and Voyager, though TNG is classic), but I've never tried to convert someone. If this new film can become a more mainstream experience for moviegoers, that would be great. If they're less wonky about continuity and all that stuff, I'll live.

BWPS

I KHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN'T wait to see this, it looks like a really fun scifi action movie from the previews, but also like it tries to nod to the original series well which is cute.

I'm not much of a Trekington, but I love Wrath of Kahn, and I really liked watching TNG and Voyager as a kid/teenager. I also like a lot of the people cast and just want to see them play the familiar roles.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Podmark

I'm not a diehard trekkie, but I am a Star Trek fan. Deep Space Nine is one of my all time favorite shows and TNG and Voyager are both favs of mine as well.

But Voyager was getting tired before it ended and Enterprise was worse. Trek needs something new to breath some life back into it, and I hope it's this movie.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

stumpy

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on April 09, 2009, 05:19:42 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 09, 2009, 04:37:51 PMThe fact that a room full of people who were fans enough to turn out for a Wrath of Kahn screening loved it, gives me great hope.  If my fellow nerds like it, than I probably will to.

Actually I think they are the worst guage for this kind of thing. I have friends that are huge Star Wars fans that still try and argue that Episode I-III were really good and not as bad as people say. Even though I can have my fanboy moments, I think fanboys are THE WORST people because they/we tend to be too forgiving, apologetic and self delusional to a beloved series...

Just to expand a little on who we trust to give us an idea of whether we'll like something, I tend to agree that the fanboys can be a poor gauge, but their it's-all-silver-linings view of the franchise is sort of half the reason why, IMO.

The fanboys can be extremists at both ends. Of course there are the uncritical enthusiasts who will love any expansion to their favored stuff, even when it's marginal or outright crummy. But, the other problem with fanboys is that there are also ultra purists who will rail against any change in the material, even if it works well. And, while I am not a purist, I do tend to dislike change just for change's sake or just to bring in standard template story devices that don't really help the movie. But, I also realize that there are reasons to make changes at times and sometimes the best movie isn't the one that stays closest to the source material or which keeps absolutely everything from previously established continuity.

All that said, as with any critics, fanboy opinions can be helpful if you know where they are coming from and which parts of what they have to say will reflect your views. When someone says Superman II has Kal using Cellophane Vision and it sucks because there were a million other ways for him to do what he did without giving him some embarrassingly dumb power no one has heard of, I tend to agree. But, when someone says LoTR sucks because they left out Tom Bombadil, I think back on the books and realize that it's one of the things a movie could easily do without, and I ignore the criticism. Just as with professional critics, the key is calibration of what they care about to what you care about.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

The Hitman

I just hope they save some giant whales in this movie.

yell0w_lantern

No, LoTR sucked because they made Arwen a GRRRRRRL. Actually, I rather enjoyed Fellowship but I felt no need to see the other two.

The 2 main things I look for in a Trek movie are a good story and entertaining character interaction. I loved the interplay of the characters in 2,3 and 4. Part six had some decent moments and I felt that First Contact was the best of the Next Generation movies for those 2 reasons.
Yellow Lantern smash!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, comments by people who've seen it are still 100% positive, as was the Rotten Tomatoes rating last time I checked.

It seems that the in-universe explanation for the reboot has satisfied the purists who would otherwise be screaming bloody murder at any changes they make.

I also like that fact that the second world release event was for the soldiers posted in Kuwait and they brought all the stars along to visit the troops, made it as big a to do as the main premiere.  That was a good thing of them to do.

Glitch Girl

Gonna open soon...

And on a note of subtle yet ballsy advertising, last night's Fringe (also an Abrams production) had a crazy guy who claimed that there was a secret group converting people into soldiers for a war with renegade Romulans from the future send back to change history and that he himself was Spock, their target (which also fits with the clip for the new movie they showed during a commercial break).  It fit in context of the show and didn't feel like and advertisement, but still sneaky sneaky.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 06, 2009, 02:18:49 PM
Gonna open soon...

And on a note of subtle yet ballsy advertising, last night's Fringe (also an Abrams production) had a crazy guy who claimed that there was a secret group converting people into soldiers for a war with renegade Romulans from the future send back to change history and that he himself was Spock, their target (which also fits with the clip for the new movie they showed during a commercial break).  It fit in context of the show and didn't feel like and advertisement, but still sneaky sneaky.

Yeah, I saw that too, and thought something similar.  Thought it was a nice touch they used someone from the original series as the crazy dude.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Glitch Girl

That too.  I forgot to mention that. 

During the episode it drove me crazy, I couldn't place him until he started talking Trek and then suddenly all became clear. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on April 11, 2009, 01:52:30 AM
No, LoTR sucked because they made Arwen a GRRRRRRL. Actually, I rather enjoyed Fellowship but I felt no need to see the other two.

The 2 main things I look for in a Trek movie are a good story and entertaining character interaction. I loved the interplay of the characters in 2,3 and 4. Part six had some decent moments and I felt that First Contact was the best of the Next Generation movies for those 2 reasons.

BWA? I'm a bit perplexed by this statement of Arwen as a GRRRRL... you mean them glamming her up as played by Liv Tyler? Or something I'm not quite catching. While at first I am really surprised someone wouldn't want to watch the other two; everyone is so different that thinking it over I cannot say I am surprised that there is someone out there that wouldn't want to.

I might actually go see this, I've seen some of the Star Trek movies but I don't actually care for Star Trek. Some of the flicks I have enjoyed others meh... this one does look entertaining. They can do whatever and I'm cool with it as long as it is a good movie. Though I will be a bit dissapointed if Kirk doesn't sleep with at least one strange alien woman preferably a green or blue one.

Reepicheep

I have watched neither episode nor movie of Star Trek.

But Simon Pegg is Scotty.

Thus, I am seeing this.

stumpy

Quote from: Reepicheep on May 06, 2009, 07:44:40 PMBut Simon Pegg is Scotty.

Thus, I am seeing this.

That is über awesome (übsome)! I didn't know he was in the movie. He was great in Hot Fuzz and other films.

I probably would have gone to see it anyway, though. I have probably caught repeats of most of the original series and ST:TNG over the years, and scattered episodes of the ST:DS9 and ST:V. But, with the good things I have been hearing so far and the fact that Sylar (the best part of Heroes) is Spock, I will probably take an afternoon off sometime in the next week and catch this.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

detourne_me

I'm going to see Star Trek tonight at the IMAX,  I can't wait!
Hopefully there will be some funny as hell interactions between Scotty and Sulu,  two of my favorite comedic actors.
I'm hoping i don't geek out too much about it since I'll be with my girlfriend, but other folks are coming too,  so i could geek out with them haha