News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

AFK...

Started by MJB, March 09, 2009, 06:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJB

Having PC issues. I think my video card just died on me. My monitor won't work and goes into sleep mode. This tells me that there isn't a signal coming from my card. I tested this with another monitor and got the same results.

If anyone out there has any tips on how to fix this please post here. I'll try to keep up with this using my PS3.

-MJB

AncientSpirit

I've had this problem recently with TWO computers... my home PC and my office PC.   The end result - no monitor use - was the same.  The cause for each was totally different.

On my home PC, somehow both memory modules in my machine went bad at the same time.  I found this out when my IT people at work couldn't fix the machine but replaced it.   It was working fine with the minimum memory they put in, but as soon as I swapped in my old memory, the exact same condition occurred.   Since I had reinstalled my video card, sound card and a couple of other cards at the same time, I took out and insert each one at a time, until I was confident it was the memory.   After buying new memory, everything went back to normal. 

That was the good news scenario for me.

My office PC was an entirely different issue.   Tried the same trick with no results and discovered it was a problem with the motherboard.  That machine had to be replaced.

Don't know if either of these "fixes" is what's going on with your machine but thought I'd share my experiences with you.

Nothing sucks worse than computer problems.   I feel for you.

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

MJB

Thanks for the response, AS.

After reading that I got a little scared and decided to make sure it was a video card issue. I switched my monitor to the on board video card and the picture came up just fine. Checked the nVidia stats and it's not reporting so I guess it's fried. Ordered a new one and it'll be here soonish.

The funny thing is I haven't been having problems with the card. No flickering pictures or anything. Was on the internet while playing a video and had a bad sound loop. It crashed the PC and when I went to reboot it my card was dead. :(

PS: I'm still using the on board card so I guess I won't be away from CoH. I can still run the game but at the minimum settings.

-MJB

Midnight

<3

Decent vid cards are <$100. I can send you my (damaged but functional) Geforce 7600 if you're really hard up.

MJB

Thanks for the offer Middy but we already ordered one.

Upgraded from a 7300 to a 8600.

-MJB

MikeB7

Bah, I've got issues now too.  I got the 'login-logout loop' virus.  There's a solution, but an issue with Dell installations means I need a Win2K CD to boot from and access the Windows recovery console.  My brother-in-law should be able to get me a disk this weekend.  Until then, I'm stuck on this old pooter.   :(

MJB

That sux Mike. I know that playing on the old machine is a big step back from your other one. IT CAME WITH A T-SHIRT!!

-MJB

rain

Quote from: MikeB7 on March 12, 2009, 08:32:56 PM
Bah, I've got issues now too.  I got the 'login-logout loop' virus.  There's a solution, but an issue with Dell installations means I need a Win2K CD to boot from and access the Windows recovery console.  My brother-in-law should be able to get me a disk this weekend.  Until then, I'm stuck on this old pooter.   :(

I have this one too.... waiting until I have time to reformat to come back on
-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

Ephemeris

Now it's my turn again.... :angry:

Why does my number keep coming up?!  Everything seemed fine until my computer froze up and when it tried rebooting, my windows wouldn't load up.  It says my system32/.../system file is missing or corrupted.  Every diagnostic I've had says the hard drive is ok.

I'm getting a little p.o.ed.

Previsionary

Quote from: Ephemeris on March 14, 2009, 07:41:46 PM
Now it's my turn again.... :angry:

Why does my number keep coming up?!  Everything seemed fine until my computer froze up and when it tried rebooting, my windows wouldn't load up.  It says my system32/.../system file is missing or corrupted.  Every diagnostic I've had says the hard drive is ok.

I'm getting a little p.o.ed.

Ive had that, or something similar, happen to me before. I was able to fix mine easily by replacing the file using windows recovery/ms-dos.
Disappear when you least expe--

MikeB7

My brother-in-law and I spent four hours today messing around with finding a solution.  Eventually he just installed a second version of Windows so that I could back up files - and then did a complete reformat.  Reinstalling stuff now, but I've been awake 24+ hours...that's like 16 hours more than usual.  :P  I should be back in-game soon after I wake up and finish reinstalling.

Ephemeris

My computer is 'fixed' again...I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.  When I do get my computer back, my game time will be limited because...

Saturday evening, my mom fell and severly broke her upper arm in three places.  After a couple long days/nights in hospitals while doctors decided whether or not to operate (my mom is petrified of hospitals), she returned home last night with a brace (surgery remains an option until 4 weeks out).  My mom seems like she is doing better (is more comfortable) now, but she needs a lot of assistance.  With my father, my brother, my sister-in-law and I all living in the house, my mom will have plenty of help around.

Hope to see you guys in game when I can.

MikeB7

gah, sorry to hear that Eph.  Hope surgery isn't necessary and she can stay comfortable.