News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Generic Voice Pack Project

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, March 17, 2009, 04:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

In collaboration with Mr. Hamrick, I'm announcing the GVPP.

So what I need is requests.  What generic character type would you like to see?  It will be targeted toward FFvTTR, but a FF version can be made as well.

Some guidlines

1.  I want generic types useable for custom characters, not specific characters
2.  You are welcome to post a script as well, but I will write one if you don't.
3.  General villain and minion voices are allowable as well, if requested
4.  Avoid specific powers if possible and focus on personality.  Some exceptions will be allowed.

Planned voice packs so far:

Red = planned but not being worked on
Blue = script in progress
Purple = script sent in for recording
Green = done

Male

male_conspiracy_nut
male_fast
male_sarcastic
male psychic
male medieval
male marksman
male patriotic American
male imp
male_innocent_paragon

male psychotic
male european dictator
male scary
male robot

male fanboy teen
male tough
male egotistical
male monstrous
male alien
male scientist
male sports fan
male prankster
male_paragon
male stupid
male southern gentleman
male brief

Female

female nature
female marksman
female amazon
female police

female scary
female_conspiracy_nut
female psychotic
female psychic
female robot

female southern belle
female egotistical
female monstrous
female alien
female gangster
female scientist
female prankster
female medieval
female_fast
female_innocent_paragon
female American patriot

I need ideas, folks, and fast!
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Previsionary

Good deal.

Male and Female psychic
Ego driven male/female
Monstrous male/female
Alien male/female
male/female gangster

It'd be nice to have more variety in languages, if possible.

Disappear when you least expe--

catwhowalksbyhimself

Don't know who all is available, but make the suggestion and I'll ask.

If it's in another language, though, I won't be able to write the script.

Gremlin

Male and female each:

Jokester/prankster type
Terrifying shadowy horror (Batman in a bad mood)
Cheesy boy/girl scout
Snide, snarky and condescending
Feral (screeches, grunts, etc.)
Bumbling fool

Mr. Hamrick

Just to add this in here.  Several of the actors and actresses that I have willing to do this also do accents.   Also, may do a couple of different versions of a few of them.   So don't be afraid to ask for accents.   I know a few of the actors definitely would like to do some work with different accents.

As for other languages . . . Spanish is possible, would you like a Mexican or Spanish accent?  I believe German is too.  and I will look into Vietnamese and Thai and Chinese but I don't know that those actresses are still fluent in that language. 

The actors and actresses doing these packs are all professionals who have done film, commercial, industrial, and/or theater work as well as other work. 

Also have a few people from a really excellent improv troupe who might be on board this project as well.

A couple of additional notes:

1) The actors and actresses who do the voice packs will be listed in a readme file with the download.  Anyone using these voicepacks with a mod, I request that you list the voices in the credits if possible. 

2) Some of the voice talent will be using these works on their professional reels. 

3) We do not have time to write the scripts ourselves.  I apologize for this.  We are working on no less than 8 different productions right now and more are on the way.  Thanks for understanding.

Oh and Cat, I think I have people in mind for about half of these right now.  One of the actresses in fact said if you did some sort of teen_female voice pack that she could do the voice for it. 

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'll update my first post with Gremlin's ideas tomorrow.

In the mean time, wow, quite a list already.  I think the biggest limiting factor will be my ability to churn out scripts, so anyone willing to write lines for some of these would be welcome.  I have a template you can have, if you wish.

Previsionary

Cat, I'll gladly help you with the script writing (when I have the time). So, if you can send me the template and such, that'd be uber cool, yeah?

Gremlin

I could help with scripts and even do a pack or two. I'm pretty busy, so it'd take awhile, but feel free to pester me to pick up the slack. ;)

Volsung

That's a damn good project!
That's brilliant guys!  :thumbup:
Custom voice add a real soul to a character!

Stuff  hosted by the courtesy of http://www.freedom-asylum.co.uk/

tommyboy

Male and female speedster- fast talking, lots of references of an "I'm too fast, you're too slow" nature.
Generic Euro-nobility-evil. You know, your Dr.dooms, Red Skulls, etc; "you DARE!?" "How predictable, how....american.."
scientific type- "you are being illogical" "I have the solutions to your problem" "give me an hour in the lab and I'll beat anything!"
Generic Archer/marksman- "straight and true" "Bullseye!" "you may as well have a target on your head" etc
Sports Fan- "ohh... it's outta the park" "home run!" "batter up" "TKO...."

Outcast

This sounds like a really great project. I remember wishing there were some generic voices i could use when i was creating custom original characters for the game. I'm surprised no one ever thought of making this before.

male/female flyer/pilots?
male/female ghosts/phantom like?
male/female guncrazy types?
male/female ninjas/samurai?
male/female cowboys?
male/female angel/devil?
male/female cowardly?
male/female defender/tank type (like in COH)?
male/female blaster type (an idea also from COH)?
male/female knights?
male/female magicians?
male/female beast like...( ala sabretooth/tigra)?

catwhowalksbyhimself

He's my male medieval to use as a template.

Hamrick, feel free to request changes to the format to make it easier for them.

Spoiler

Attacks
Surrender, knave!
(Yells)
Vile miscreant!
Fear mine wrath!
Thou shalt not prevail!
Yield!

When KO'd
I am undone. . .
Avenge me . . .

Waiting for orders
It is dishonorable to do nothing

Surrendering
What dost thou desire to know?

Hypnotised
What vile sorcery is this?

Using a healing bonus
I am renewed!

Attacking with bonus power
You will fear me!

Healing an ally
I shall tend thine wounds

Unable to comply
Thou darest to offend me?

Dodging
(grunt)

Defending
Thou shalt not harm me!

Unable to interrogate enemies
Thine enemies are still about

Taking a lot of damage
(loud yell)
I must endure!

Taking less damage
(grunt)
(subdued yell)

Spotting enemies
Enemies approach!
Drawn thy swords!

Responding to orders
As thou comandest

Recovering from status effects
I have recovered

Mentally blanked
uh?

Selected by player
Command me!
As thou wishest!
My lord?
I am thine servant
What is thy word?

Enraged
You will feel my wrath!

Panics
Wizardry!  We can not prevail!

yell0w_lantern

male_paragon
male_innocent_paragon
male_speedster
male_conspiracy_nut

female_speedster
female_innocent_paragon
female_conspiracy_nut
Yellow Lantern smash!

catwhowalksbyhimself

If you start writing one of these, just let me know so I can mark it as in progress.

I think I'll shy away from speedster and go for the more generic "fast" which could be used on peek human speed or agility as well as super speed.

Some good ideas there.

Tame Fisher

I'd totally be willing to script the psychotics, conspiracy nuts, heck, even the scary folk. Are there specific limits to the number of lines per state?

daglob

Dense Thug (comedy relief; WB cartoon character was named Mugsy), saying things like 'Duuuh, yeah boooss', 'Duuuhiiiiiieeedunno', or 'Shoo' t'ing, booooss'.

Mr. Monosyable. Most responses are words of one sylable (three at most), most responses are a single word (no more than three). Now, this doesn't sound like much of a voicepack, but it would be personality-driven. It could substitute for Batman, The Shadow, The Spider, The Punisher, or similar character. How much personality can an actor get in one word?

Southern Gentleman

Mr. Nervous (like Don Knotts' old character, much of which became Barney Phyffe)

Female Patriot might be good too.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI'd totally be willing to script the psychotics, conspiracy nuts, heck, even the scary folk. Are there specific limits to the number of lines per state?

Use the template as a guildline.  I also wrote up a rather detail wiki article on this.  Here it is.

http://frworld.wikispaces.com/How+to+make+a+voicepack

I've marked the ones you mentioned as in progress.

Previsionary

I've started male_psychic. Should the scripts be posted here for feedback or should I just send them to Ham myself?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Go ahead and send them straight to him.  Just let me know when you do.

Tame Fisher

Just sent in male_conspiracy_nut. Starting on psychotic now. This is fun.  :D

Previsionary

male_psychic, male_speedy, male_ego/sarcastic, and female_nature (natural?) are done and I'll email them to Hammy Ham laterage.

Panther_Gunn

I haven't seen this one covered yet, but I could be wrong:  male_voice_synthesizer (and a female version could be useful, too).  For those characters that either are having to converse using artificial means, or are using it to mask their normal voice.  Not necessarily from a suit of powered armor, but it could be used for that in a pinch.  They could be irritated that they're forced to talk in this manner, or they could be doing it out of arrogance.  They could also be despondant about it.  I think I would prefer some sort of attitude to come through rather than just neutral (I'd prefer a little bit of the first, perhaps a bit hotheaded).  I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to accomplish, just regular vocals thrown through a specific filter.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm sending in a bunch today myself.

As for your concept Panther--interesting.  I kind of question whether I should add it, since the effect would be similar to male armored or some such, but I'm leaning towards it, especially once we have some of the others done.  The FX part would be quite easy to do, so no worries there.

Sledgehammer

This is an excellent idea! Cat and Mr. Hamrick, you'll be adding some great stuff to the Voicepack section!

First, I have a question:

Are these packs going to sound closer to the FF voicepacks? Or closer to the X-Men Legends/MUA/Justice League Heroes tone? I mean, are they going to be sort of campy, or a little more serious?

I'm wondering this because my suggestions may differ depending on which angle you are deciding to take. For instance (and I'm thinking out loud here), a male_irish kinda XML/MUA would be excellent in order to have a pack that I could use for Banshee. But that is still generic enough for other people to use it for their respective Irish heroes.

If you're going the "Right makes might!" way, there are other ideas crossing my mind right now.

Either way, as a VP creator, I'll enjoy this immensely. There's always room for more packs. I'm willing to provide you with scripts for my suggestions, too.

yell0w_lantern

That's an excellent question, Sledge. I had just presumed it would depend on the particular voice pack.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Previsionary

Who was doing female_cop/police? I ask because I finished a script awhile ago and just noticed it was in progress.  :doh:

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI had just presumed it would depend on the particular voice pack.

That would be the correct answer.  They should have a similar voice quality, but I want them to be usable for a lot of different settings.  Some will be more serious than others.

QuoteWho was doing female_cop/police? I ask because I finished a script awhile ago and just noticed it was in progress.  doh

Me, but it hasn't been typed in and isn't 100% complete.  In fact, I had stopped working on it, so by all means, use yours.

Previsionary

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 18, 2009, 05:02:04 PM
QuoteWho was doing female_cop/police? I ask because I finished a script awhile ago and just noticed it was in progress.  doh

Me, but it hasn't been typed in and isn't 100% complete.  In fact, I had stopped working on it, so by all means, use yours.

Good deal. It's been sent off.

yell0w_lantern

I'm taking a stab at paragon innocent.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Previsionary

female_psychic (mean telepathic variant :P) will be sent off later today.