News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Microsoft Excel game for Marvel fans

Started by Sledgehammer, March 25, 2009, 02:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sledgehammer

(I don't know if this is the correct section for this topic - If it's wrong, please, move it accordingly)

Here is a little experiment I've been doing lately. It's still unfinished, but I've been constantly working on it. Just want to know if you would be interested.

Here are a couple of pictures, and then I'll describe the whole thing, so you get the idea:

http://www.zshare.net/image/5762388245490b62/
http://www.zshare.net/image/57623977ae1b7170/

This is one of those Microsoft Excel games in which you have to fill the blanks until you complete the whole board. I wanted to try it with Marvel characters. Your job is to introduce each character's codename, and the game will tell you if you are right by adding his/her full name right below. There's a counter in the upper right corner, so you can keep track of your correct answers.

This game will contain 500 different characters (not entirely true - you may get the same character but under a different codename, but not two 'Spider-Man/Peter Parker'). Each row has 5 characters, and they are linked in a special way (they belong to the same team, or share some common trait). If you answer correctly the whole row, the game will inform how the characters are linked or affiliated. For example (I'll use DC characters), if you get Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Flash, the game would say 'Justice League'. But only when you have guessed all 5 of them.

Something I would like to clarify beforehand: These affiliations are somewhat arbitrary. It doesn't mean that the characters involved weren't part of other groups, or that they are necessarily the most prominent members of that group. For the sake of including more and more characters, sometimes you'll end up with second or third string characters in a given group, because the more prominent ones were included somewhere else. For instance, Cyclops has been part of X-Men, X-Factor and X-Terminators. If he's in the game, he'll appear in just ONE of those groups. The others will include other members, but not him.

The game oscillates between well-known characters and some obscure ones (as you can see from those images). This is the first one, so it will include most of the powerhouses. The second one (if it's ever created) will be more difficult.

We could have a thread in which you may ask for those characters you can't guess. Usually, in these quizzes, the threads CAN'T CONTAIN THE ANSWERS. Other players provide some indirect clues, and thus, keeping the game interesting.

I would like some feedback, to see if this interests you, or I'm just wasting my time.

AfghanAnt

Outcast

Wow. That's an impressive game you have created there in Excel. The presentation is really nice and neat. I didn't know it was possible to program pictures to change like that in Excel. It's really an interesting and unique game idea too. I wouldn't mind trying to play it. ^_^