FFVTTR Character tool won't create "custom" copy

Started by Bucky9000, March 26, 2009, 12:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucky9000

I just got  :ffvstr: and I'm excited to try out custom characters but everytime I try to make a custom character by copying a standard skin it just creates another standard skin and I can't do anything.  I've put things into my custom directory under users, tried to modify the art.ff file, pulled my hair out and now Im at at loss.

I'm on Vista.  Anyone have any ideas why this would be happening?  Every tutorial leads me immediately to "copy a skin to make a custom one" and I'm stymied right there. 

The weird thing is I can create a custom skin if I change the directory for custom in Character Tool but then I can't find anyway to take the process any further.  Help

GogglesPizanno

Where are you putting your custom meshes/skins?
I use:<Gamedirectory>\Custom\Art\library\characters

Then lets say that you want to create a custom character and skin for minute man.
Either extract the Minute Man mesh from art.ff to the above location (you dont have to extract it, you could just make a "minute_man\skins\<your custom skin name>" folder, but for clarity, lets assume you did). The same procedure applies to custom meshes, only you would extract them from whatever zip or rar file you downloaded as opposed to using the art.ff file.

The inside the Minute Man folder is a directory called skins, and inside that is standard.

SO the path wto the standard skin would look like:
<Gamedirectory>\Custom\Art\library\characters\minute_man\skins\standard

Copy the standard folder and paste it. It should make a folder called "Copy of standard"
Rename that folder to whatever you want your new custom character skin to be.
So now the new skin should show up, but since its just a copy, it will look exactly the same as the standard skin until you open the tga file up in a graphics program and edit it.