News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

i cast...Magic Missle!

Started by bearded, April 05, 2009, 12:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

how would you do the classic dnd magic missle?  it never misses, so i think direct attack.  is there a way to do direct attack with missiles that go from caster to target?  and what would be the perfect fx for them?  i've never really been clear on what a magic missle should look like.
i'm on a dnd kick for the mages in dnd right now.  any ideas for other classic spells?
how would you do the first edition summon insects?  it would make a target helpless for a round or 2.  maybe the ffx cage power with mobile fx?  could that be done?

herodad1

i'd just give the missles the homing attribute!

cmdrkoenig67

I know so little about D&D, except what I've read in the old handbooks and from watching the cartoon...

So I used the electric projectile fx for the Magic Missile...I don't even know how accurately I did it.  I didn't know that it never missed, though (Venger missed plenty of times on the D&D cartoon).

Dana

bearded

QuoteA missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.

The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can't be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.

For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you gain an additional missile—two at 3rd level, three at 5th, four at 7th, and the maximum of five missiles at 9th level or higher. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage.

so, you get a multiple low level damage missle.  i've always pictured magic arrows.  homing with high accuracy does seem right to me.  i wish there was a way to get more missiles with higher levels!
there needs to be a venger mod!
the yoda mesh could be skoped into dungeon master...

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: bearded on April 06, 2009, 11:01:05 AMso, you get a multiple low level damage missle.  i've always pictured magic arrows.  homing with high accuracy does seem right to me.  i wish there was a way to get more missiles with higher levels!
there needs to be a venger mod!
the yoda mesh could be skoped into dungeon master...

I did start a Venger Skope...I should probably get back to him.

Dana

TrajkLogik

Here is the description from the 2nd Edition AD&D Player's Handbook:
QuoteUse of the magic missile spell creates up to
five missiles of magical energy that dart
forth from the wizards fingertip and unerringly
strike their target. This includes enemy
creatures in a melee. The target creature
must be seen or otherwise detected to be hit,
however, so near-total concealment, such as
that offered by arrow slits, can render the
spell ineffective. Likewise, the caster must
be able to identify the target. He cannot
direct a magic missile to "Strike the commander
of the legion," unless he can single
out the commander from the rest of the soldiers.
Specific parts of a creature cannot be
singled out. Inanimate objects (locks, etc.)
cannot be damaged by the spell, and any
attempt to do so wastes the missiles to no
effect. Against creatures, each missile
inflicts ld4 + 1 points of damage.
For every two extra levels of experience,
the wizard gains an additional missile-he
has two at 3rd level, three at 5th level, four
at 7th level, etc., up to a total of five missiles
at 9th level. If the wizard has multiple missile
capability, he can have them strike a single
target creature or several creatures, as
desired.
I played Baldur's Gate and I remember the MM was small pinkish-purple spheres of energy that flew about and then struck the target. Maybe you could use a projectile with low accuracy, but with homing and very fast speed to make it look like they swirl around and then home in and strike the target.

Panther_Gunn

I've always pictured them as something about dart or dagger sized, either just spheres of light or some sort of wedge shape, similar to Dagger's projectiles (shape and color dependant upon which source the mage originally learned the spell from.....it's entirely likely that individual mages would create their own modified versions of the spell, with signature colors and/or shapes, but with all the same effects and characteristics....which is probably how Snilloc's Snowball came about).

I can't remember if there were any beams that had effects that would look like a projectile (pulse bolts comes to mind, but it's not quite right), but I would definitely go with homing and flight spawn (for the number you want).  You could always use Dagger's light dart or Archangel's wing blade FX, or some other small shape of colored light.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

herodad1

when i first started messing with computers baldurs gate was my 1st fantasy game and it was VERY fun.i'd be up way into the night/next morning playing it.

Brodie

I'm a dungeon master for my friends when I'm home from college over the summers. Generally, you're allowed to pick what your magic missiles look like, as long as you don't have some effect that shouldn't be included in the spell (like creating the illusion of a dragon's head spitting out the missiles). I have a gay friend whose wizard shot out glowing hearts for magic missiles. My other friend shoots out green pew-pew lasers. I've always kind of envisioned them as generic blue energy bolts.

To recreate the spell, I would use homing and flight-spawn with 4 instances. Give the missiles very low damage with no knock back and no stun, with low or no energy cost (high level wizards/sorcerers can throw around magic missiles all day).

bearded

thanks, another gamer!
got any other conversion ideas for classic dnd spells or items?
i wish there was a way to randomize fx.