News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato's skinwork: Atomik (01/09/21)

Started by Tomato, April 19, 2009, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detourne_me

These guys are pretty cool, are they some more YouTube guys?

Tomato

Det, I can't just give you the Achievement. You have to Hunt for the identity of the Lads!

(But seriously, I am just riddling these posts with keywords. The thread titles alone should lead you in the right direction)

detourne_me

Hahahaha  I've got it now!  I've only ever watched one video of that particular show, when they were skydiving in GTAV.

I feel like such a chicken, but i'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth.

Outcast

Originally i thought they were some original design creations by Tomato. But going by the keyword clues, i think i found where Tomato got the costume design and the reference (partially photoskinned?) faces of the men wearing them. Still pretty cool.  :cool:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/6ad0ee1689f2f7b11f14933258cf7193/tumblr_mq2d47HwQu1rzq3e9o1_500.png

Not sure if they are from Roosterteeth store, or have anything to do with being Achievement hunters? :huh:

Tomato

Oh no, the faces are photo skinned. The characters are "X-Ray and Vav," which is a looooong running joke between Gavin and Ray of Achievement Hunter (the video game sister site to Roosterteeth, creators of Red Vs Blue and RWBY). As for the other references...

Lads- The six main members of Achievement Hunter will often split into two teams for lets plays, with the older players on one side ("Team Gents") and the younger members (Ray, Gavin, and Michael) on the other as "Team Lads"

Cakeless- In one of the minecraft lets plays, they had a couple pieces of cake down to help restore your health. Ray chose to forgo the cake, and "I'm going Cakeless" was then a meme. And also a shirt.

People like Grapes- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1QRxumbmtM

UnkoMan

Augh. I missed a ton of awesome skins.
I got to say, though, I freakin' love that Yellow Jacket design.
Actually, all these are great. Dang.

murs47

These are really good. 'Specialy that yellow Ant-Man. Well done, you single seeded tomato.

Tomato

Couldn't think of a better way to celebrate X-ray and Vav's premiere than to release the skins. Enjoy!

spydermann93

Great work, Tomato! :thumbup:

Can't wait to check these out in-game!

Outcast

That video premiere of Xray and Vav was very entertaining Tomato. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see the next episode too.

It's nice to finally see the skins and hex/skope up close using the character tool. :)

Just a slight critique on their capes though. I noticed that their feet passes/overlaps their capes in certain animations like flying and running.

Tomato

I think it might just be an animation issue... I've tried them with keyframes meant for male_cape meshes, and it works fine. I'll try to get a hold of Ren's male_cape compatible Superman keyframes and reupload them.

Outcast

Quote from: Tomato on November 29, 2014, 04:26:34 AM
I think it might just be an animation issue... I've tried them with keyframes meant for male_cape meshes, and it works fine. I'll try to get a hold of Ren's male_cape compatible Superman keyframes and reupload them.

Thanks, the male_cape keyframes did the trick and fixed the animations. Didn't realize their meshes were compatible with other keyframes besides the one that came with it.

Tomato

If it's something I've done, I almost always make it compatible with any Male_basic style keys, unless specifically stated in the readme

Outcast

Tomato

You're fine, it was something I really should have been paying attention to anyway. The release has Male_Cape keys now, so there shouldn't be any more problems.

(but yeah, I try to keep my meshes/skopes open to whatever keys people want to use, for the same reason I leave most of them as FF even though I personally only use FFv3R... so they can do what they want with them.)

Tomato

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Tomato on December 07, 2014, 09:10:14 AM
WIP. Will probably do his boss as well.
No clue who this is but cool photoskin.

EDIT: Cool autocorrected to color. :)

Tomato

It's progressing. I've still got one more piece I need to mesh (I don't even know what to call it, but it's part of the kilt I believe) and then I need to skin the rest of the extra mesh pieces.

That said, I want to point out that I think I must hate myself a lot right now, because I seem to keep making decisions that make my life harder. Skinning on the plaid was a pain by itself (and by pain, I mean I spent a good hour or so trying to figure out how to adapt a 2d plaid texture to look correct on a 3 dimensional object) but then some stupid part of my brain went "oh, lets add ridges to the socks, it'll make them more interesting visually" and then I spent way too freaking long adding straight lines to the knee-high socks.

WyldFyre

Yes but, they DO look more interesting visually.  And I, for one, appreciate all the little details that you put in.
For Freedom!

SickAlice

Agreed with that. Using fabrics is just a better look. I'm a slacker and tend to just toss a pattern on there or use a texture filter and it doesn't end up as sharp looking as what you've done here. And nah, it's not a stupid part of brain. It's your adept analytical side. I have a detailed dress to do this week and I'm already plotting how to remap the models textures just so the end texture will have the least amount of stretching. It just makes sense to do it the way you choose to. Nice job on this.

daglob

If you mean that thingie in the front it's called a sporran. Someone told me once it was like a purse (no pockets in the kilt), but he may have been pulling my leg.

Tomato

Ah, that makes sense. I'm basing this off a cartoon, and so at the time it just looked like this weird tie floating in front of the kilt (it doesn't help that you don't see it most of the time he's in frame).

Ryan Haywood, aka The Mad King has arrived! I'm gonna hold off on any sort of release for the time being, since I've already started preliminary work on Geo... I mean... the Corpirate. Since 90% of the actual work will just be the face, it shouldn't take too long to knock out though (No, seriously, I've got the rest of the skin done already. Did it while I was feeling a bit burned out on The Mad King.)

AfghanAnt

Outcast

Cool! Soon you can now pit X-ray and Vav against the villains in their show. :P

Tomato

still working on this, but it's coming along. I might have more tonight, but I have to work.

Cyber Burn

I have to admit, it's really cool seeing these Characters getting made that are just out there. It one of the things that I really appreciate about Daglob as well, Characters that would normally never see the light of day are being introduced into the FF Universe. It's just fantastic.  :D

Tomato

Well, it helps that I've been a HUGE Achievement Hunter fan since well before the series started (the X-Ray and Vav skins are based on the real costumes that the two wore for extra life) and almost all the characters have thus far been winks and nods to the Achievement Hunter crew. Corpirate here is actually played by Gavin and Ray's boss, Geoff Ramsey (who, for those not aware, also voices Grif from Red Vs Blue)

Also:

With that, he and Ryan are just about ready for release, I've just gotta get a few things together. I'll probably hold off until friday for the actual release, to coincide with X-ray and Vav's third episode.

Tomato

Or I'll do it today, since I can't sleep and I got all the portraits and stuff done really quickly. For those curious, I'd like to keep doing more of the X-ray and Vav characters (I'd like to at least cover the core 6 AH crew) but I'll be doing so on a character by character basis.

Outcast

I'm not familiar with all of the crew. But i'm interested to see who they are and what they look like. :)