News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato's skinwork: Atomik (01/09/21)

Started by Tomato, April 19, 2009, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vamp

Looks really nice. I love the highlights, but I think it would be better if you did it in white instead of the green.

Gremlin

Ignore Vamp, he's crazy. Those green highlights make it pop beautifully, and it keeps with the whole Verdant Vowel schtick.

Courtnall6

Really nice work here Tomato...although the top half of the "A" could use some highlights...it's losing it's impact against the black. I like the bootcuffs...but I think you may have over done it a touch on the cloth folds.

Everything else is workin' for me :cool:
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Alaric

That's... just amazing.

Wait. That didn't come out quite right. Let me try again.

That's... just Amazing!

It's... the very embodiment of verdant vowelishness!

I can't decide whether I like it better with the green highlights, or the other ones. Whichever version I looked at most recently seems better  :D

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Fear the "A"!!!

Diablo

Quote from: Tomato on May 01, 2009, 11:43:04 PM

-Ignore the cape. It's from Ren's Supes, just using it as a placeholder until I skin my own.

:thumbup: thats great!

Tomato

Quote from: Courtnall6 on May 02, 2009, 01:52:40 AM
Really nice work here Tomato...although the top half of the "A" could use some highlights...it's losing it's impact against the black.

Yeeaaahh... that was actually supposed to be fixed, but PSP crashed while I was working on the Green areas and I forgot all about it amongst the loss of my recent layering data >.<

As far as the highlights... Personally I could go either way (I agree that the green looks good and fits the Verdant character better but there's a contrast to the gray-black I like too) and at the moment green seems to be overwhelmingly preferred, here and RL. So unless there's enough people who really don't like the green, I'm keeping it as-is.

Also, for those of you who'd like to go back and read through the archives... is there anything (sans Fighter, Two Face, and Lina Inverse, all of which have certain issues) that you specifically want me to release or re-release? Right now the list for NPI is:

Avatars (AA, Carr, Damnage, Hellscorp, Pod, Pwime, Rev, Syn, GodGirl)
Ch'nybe*
Cyclops
Darek
Kid Rocket
Mahty*
Marauder*
Red Ant**
Ultimate Spidey

*Will not go up immediately, redoing with new base
**I cannot find my copy of the V2 skin, if anyone has it I would very much appreciate it.

miguelyanke

Blkcasanova247

You've done it again. Very cool skin my man. Although I like the black....I don't know that I love the green highlights. ;)
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

Tomato

So, as is probably obvious, I'm beginning to gather everything up for it's inclusion in the new NPI website. However, since it's been ages since I've dealt with many of these skins, I am unsure as to whether many of them will work in regular FF. As I no longer own a copy (my CD is a coaster, and I've changed comps since last I ran it) though, so if any FF player wants to test out my stuff, s/he will get them a bit early.

Any takers?

Tomato

Don't forget to look at my last two posts, I'm still without aid on both Red Ant and FF.

Alaric

Y'know, I always enjoy seeing what the various artists in our community do with my avatar, and nothing beats the feeling I get when I see unsolicited artwork, of any sort, based on my avatar, and when it's by a talented artist (which admittedly we seem to have a lot of here) that's even better. As you've probably figured out, from my previous comments, my recent "Return of a Classic" posts, and my new choice of avatar pic, I love it! Can't wait to play around with it in-game!

Other people have done skins for my avatar before- Juancho did an amalgamation of the Vowel and the red Tornado (the Verdant Tornado!) for a skinning challenge, Lionheart did a substantial redesign as a Secret Santa gift, and TUE did a darker, hooded version, also as a Secret Santa gift, but, much as I've loved each of them, none of them seemed to fit my avatar character as I've generally conceived of him- I tend to think of them more as alternate reality versions, with Lionheart's being more of a conventional late '70s- early '80s superhero, and TUE's more of a darker, almost pulp-era-ish character. Both could be fun to explore someday-maybe I should write some short stories based on alternate versions of my avatar or something...

Anyway, yours is the first skin/mesh I've seen for my avatar that really captures the impressive, classic superhero with a touch of goofiness I've generally visualized him as looking like. I also love the hair- I think Juancho first gave him that hair, in his microhero version, but I think it very much suits the character.

Now, I still need to come up with a hero file I'm happy with (and anyone who knows something about my avatar character probably will understand how difficult that's going to be)...

(Note: You should probably include in the readme file that the visual design was created by MJB, with some additional tweaking by Glitch Girl and Juancho. Oh, and you could credit Gremlin for the "green highlights" thing...)
Fear the "A"!!!

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Gremlin

Freaking awesome, 'Mato! I love it! :thumbup:

Quote from: Alaric on May 03, 2009, 01:00:44 PM(Note: You should probably include in the readme file that the visual design was created by MJB, with some additional tweaking by Glitch Girl and Juancho. Oh, and you could credit Gremlin for the "green highlights" thing...)

I dunno, I think that might inflate my ego to popping. :P

AfghanAnt

Really great work on this one. I really like the coloring and hair.

Figure Fan

This is just awesome. Love the colors. So much character!

When do you think you'll be starting on a certain turquoise-y dude?

:cool: ;)

Tomato

I've got a few things to finish up for school and NPI, but once both are done I should be able to pound out you-know-who.

This is what House Quake and I (mostly HQ) have been working on of late. Just got my FTP account today, been uploading stuff most of the afternoon for the grand opening (which might be anytime between now and next year. It all depends on the other members.)

Gremlin

How sweet. And a conspicuous missing spot? Consider my interest throughly peaked, friend. ;)

Tomato

Meh, I hadn't intended on being mysterious on this one, if you cross-check the list it should be obvious who is left out... You see, my Damnage skin was eaten by my Shark-men skins for being too blue for them to handle. Yep, it has vanished from the internet forever.

*gives people offering to replace it dirty look* For.ev.er. Got me? *weilds giant metal stick threateningly*

*sighs mournfully* I suppose this means I'll have to add a new Damnage skin to my to-do list as well. Such a shame.

Alaric

I'll try to wait patiently.

...Is it up yet?

...How about now?

...Are we there yet?
Fear the "A"!!!

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Tomato on May 04, 2009, 02:52:25 AM
I've got a few things to finish up for school and NPI, but once both are done I should be able to pound out you-know-who.

This is what House Quake and I (mostly HQ) have been working on of late. Just got my FTP account today, been uploading stuff most of the afternoon for the grand opening (which might be anytime between now and next year. It all depends on the other members.)

Dang, that is cool. I can't wait till the site is up. :banghead:

UnkoMan

Site looks great. Skin is fantastic. My oh my.

Hmm... I might have that Red Ant. I don't recall, but I will look soon after I set up my computer again. I'll let you know probably by week's end.

EDIT: I lied! I don't have it anywhere. Sorry.

Podmark

Seeing all the skins together just reminds of all the cool designs you've done.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

pfft, that's just avatar designs. I'll be doing actual Originals for NPI, and that's where you guys need to be looking  ;)

billdamn22

Quote from: Tomato on May 04, 2009, 03:41:42 AM
*sighs mournfully* I suppose this means I'll have to add a new Damnage skin to my to-do list as well. Such a shame.
That is just terrible. :)

Tomato

Apparently one stupid mistake will nearly give you a heart attack, but TWO stupid mistakes will return two supposedly missing skins.

Ok, the sequence of events went like this: Sometime, I think last September, while I was away from home at college I lost access to my portable hard drive, which (at that time) contained all my main FF stuff, all due to some defective usb connectors. Not exactly good news for me, obviously, but when I was at home I was able to connect it to one of our desktop computers and transfer the "most important" stuff off the drive, and onto my server. Idiot that I am, I then deleted everything I moved. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Anyway, though I have since regained full access to the drive and previously attempted to move all of my important files off my server, the previous transfer did not, apparently, transfer everything. Of course, I did not find this out until I had let my yearly .com renewal die off, thus making me assume the site and files were gone forever.

Cue the (somewhat) happy mistake #2. My original hosting service, independent of the .com, has not yet been canceled. I assumed it had been, because I got emails about it around the same time I was getting 60 from godaddy telling me I was not renewed on my .com, but it is still up, and all my files were hidden safely in it's depths.

Thus, I am happy to introduce the final two stragglers coming from my skinned-but-not-released category(this excludes Fighter and Two-face, neither of which will be released in their previous form):

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Wow. Less then a day for the skinwork on this one... not done with the hex work on it (still hammering out details with animations), but I was too spazzy to work on that earlier this morning.

Tomato

Courtnall6

Solid work on the costume...but the face is throwing me off. His nostrils are too prominent and sharp...looks like Morbius's "nose" to me really. His lower lip could use more definition/shading too...I can barely see it in these pics.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

daglob