News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato's skinwork: Atomik (01/09/21)

Started by Tomato, April 19, 2009, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Ohh, I love that!  Really nice work, 'Mato, and you're doing some interesting things in the adapation of those designs.  I love the scar, and the tattoos are really cool...though I still think they should glow! ^_^  I like the work around the collar, that is a nice detail.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

This work Benton?

A few things done before I go back to playing ME2 and no one sees me again for 12-24 hours. Also, a few notes about this skin before I go:

-The greek words on his arm DO have an actual meaning, but I'll leave it for ya'll to figure out.
-I haven't done the refl on the gold areas yet because I'm going that all at once... saves me the headache of trying to replicate the exact process days apart.
-While I wasn't that fond of John's designs on the whole, I did want to take a moment and give him full credit for the idea of the dead left eye, and the scars around it.
-The arms (both the chain mail and the tatoos) caused me such a headache... apparently someone altered the uv map when they were doing their Aquaman skope, and it caused the refl and glow layers to be slightly off around the forearms. I wasted a good 30 minutes on the right arm trying to figure out what was going on with the stupid refl layer.

*just walks away, 'cuz it's not like you all can do anything anyway*

Outcast

Nice touch on the tatoos Tomato. I think Benton's suggestion to make it glow is a great idea. I think i've seen some aquatic/water characters use such glowing tatoos/markings effects in a show/movie before but i can't remember where exactly.  Hmmm....making it glow does kinda make me think there's magic at work there. Maybe it could become the source of sorts for his telepathic ability to communicate with the sea creatures? :)

No idea on the Greek words though. But i'm guessing it's...."Ode to Benton..." or something along those lines. :P

The return of C6?!  That certainly is exciting news! :agentclap  :drool:

Tomato

Outcast

Not trying to mess with you Tomato. I was just kidding with the Ode to Benton part...sorry if it appears that way.

Tomato

ok then:

-Tattoo glow comes straight from Aqualad in Young Justice, which you should be watching religiously lest I destroy you.
-It's more stuff like king of atlantis.
-C6 thing is a total lie. I heard he was doing something months ago from another creator, but in the case of half the creators here going from "is working on" to "is ready to show off" and then "will actually release" can be a year long process.

still, with the release of a certain movie, it might be good timing...

Cyber Burn

Guess I jumped the gun on bumping C6's skin thread then, bummer.

Antiverse Aquaman is looking really nice so far. Did you settle on a name yet?

Tomato

Sorry about that... I was basically doing a "look over there at the shiny object! *slips away unnoticed*" type joke. In my head, I was thinking of this red vs blue scene (note: link is to a red vs blue clip. stark language is a given.)

Seriously, I don't know what the flying monkey fruit C6 is doing. Heck, I didn't even know half of Heroforce was ganging up on my avatar until tue's skin showed up on my tumblr.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on October 04, 2012, 11:56:02 PM

Seriously, I don't know what the flying monkey fruit C6 is doing. Heck, I didn't even know half of Heroforce was ganging up on my avatar until tue's skin showed up on my tumblr.

You mention tue's skin showing up on your tumblr but don't give us a link to see it?!?!  What's wrong with you?!?!?!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

because A. it's already posted on his skin thread so anyone who doesn't use tumblr has seen it, and B. I reblogged it with my tumblr, so anyone who does have tumblr and was following either one of us should have already seen it.

Outcast

Quote from: Tomato on October 04, 2012, 10:15:08 PM
-Tattoo glow comes straight from Aqualad in Young Justice, which you should be watching religiously lest I destroy you.
-It's more stuff like king of atlantis.
-C6 thing is a total lie. I heard he was doing something months ago from another creator, but in the case of half the creators here going from "is working on" to "is ready to show off" and then "will actually release" can be a year long process.

still, with the release of a certain movie, it might be good timing...

Oh, i see. I honestly didn't know the tatoos were also part of Aqualad's design in Young Justice. (Which i know you watch religiously) I guess this was what
you must have meant about me messing with you. I don't watch TV that much anymore. But i think it was in some other show that i saw the glowing tatoo on a character as well.

As to the C6 thing, it's too bad that it was a lie. I'm sure i'm not the only one who would love to see some new work from him, even if it's just a wip or a teaser.

If it's got something to do with upcoming superhero movies...i have no clue as to which one it is. He's done almost all of them i think. Unless there's a new costume design i don't know which he fancies. :huh:

Tomato

I don't want to reveal anything more about it, since he's clearly not ready to show anything yet and I'm not even 100% sure he's working on it still. Only reason I heard about it was because someone was helping him with some skopes and asked for me to do a mesh piece.

murs47

If those are supposed to be glowing tattoos perhaps you should give them a glow effect rather than an embossed effect. Other than that, this skin is still awesome and I'm very much waiting for it's completion...so hurry up.

PS I turned some of your relatives into a smoothie this morning. It was delicious.

UnkoMan

Dude, I just saw that Deadman... and I love it.

This alternate Aquaman you're working on now is coming along very nicely, too. The shadows on your skin tones are always a bit light for me (especially in the faces), but the tones themselves are nicely done. That gold collar really pops, and the tattoos look awesome. Oh man... remember animated skin? Imagine doing a water ripple glow effect over that tattoo? Imagine it!

Tomato

Quote from: murs47 on October 08, 2012, 06:36:30 PM
If those are supposed to be glowing tattoos perhaps you should give them a glow effect rather than an embossed effect. Other than that, this skin is still awesome and I'm very much waiting for it's completion...so hurry up.

PS I turned some of your relatives into a smoothie this morning. It was delicious.

I don't entirely know what you mean here, but I'm assuming you're referring to the fact that I added a shadow around the tattoos rather than letting them blur out. I do want to dial that back a bit, but the reason I added it was to help sharpen the edges of the tattoo.

PS: I made one of your clones into a smoothie and sent it to DJ. He thought it was delicious.

Quote from: UnkoMan on October 12, 2012, 03:36:59 AM
Dude, I just saw that Deadman... and I love it.

This alternate Aquaman you're working on now is coming along very nicely, too. The shadows on your skin tones are always a bit light for me (especially in the faces), but the tones themselves are nicely done. That gold collar really pops, and the tattoos look awesome. Oh man... remember animated skin? Imagine doing a water ripple glow effect over that tattoo? Imagine it!

I think it has to do with the fact that I tend not to do very many actual shadow layers on my skins... I usually work up from a base color with highlights. It's weird though, because I feel like overall my caucasian skin tones tend to be much darker/more tan then what I see from other skinners. As for animated textures... I've never done them before, and it's hard enough for me to finish one skin without essentially having to do multiple versions of it.

Anyway long story short, I'm sorry I haven't been working on this, all I can say is that life stinks. I've had one person at my workplace quit and another one's mother had a heart attack, so she's been gone for over a week and will be gone next week as well. Long term it'll be a good thing, because I'm essentially taking the former's full-time position (I've been "part-time" working full-time hours anyway, and this puts me on 1-9pm/3-11pm shifts instead of the 11pm-7am shift that's been destroying me) but short term it means me and my other night-shift coworker are working almost every night shift. Still, it's my weekend off, so maybe once I've gotten my 24 hours of recovery sleep in I'll get some work in on it.

Tomato

Got as much work as I could in before I went to bed for the day.

Outcast

The design and skin is shaping up quite nicely there Tomato. I like how you did the yellow gold scales in the costume. The chest straps for his shoulder armor pad looks cool too. Another awesome skin in the making. :)

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on October 12, 2012, 10:35:26 PM
Quote from: murs47 on October 08, 2012, 06:36:30 PM

I don't entirely know what you mean here, but I'm assuming you're referring to the fact that I added a shadow around the tattoos rather than letting them blur out. I do want to dial that back a bit, but the reason I added it was to help sharpen the edges of the tattoo.

PS: I made one of your clones into a smoothie and sent it to DJ. He thought it was delicious.

That's what that was you had me drink...hmmm...might have to have another one of those, though it needed a little more booze in it.

Tomato

I'll make sure the next clone is drunk before I turn him into a smoothie. Shouldn't be that hard.

Tomato

Mostly done at this point, just gotta do the trident and fins.

Also, I think I've finally settled on a name for this particular version: Aqualord. It's a bit closer to his E1 counterpart then the other CSA members, but it's also a call back to the old Justice Lord episodes (Old episodes... ugh, I still remember when those aired. I feel depressed now.) and I think it fits nicely with the whole "worship me because I'm totally the legitimate king" thing we had going on for him in the "Ode to Benton" thread.

Sioux City Dynamo

Hi Tomato, I love the way this character is looking.  I can not wait to see the final product.
Io

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on October 15, 2012, 11:51:40 PM
I'll make sure the next clone is drunk before I turn him into a smoothie. Shouldn't be that hard.

Good, that should make things all better then.

BentonGrey

"I'm the totally legitimate king who is totally legitimate and in no way illegitimate...so, yes, yes....totally legitimate...that's me....KNEEL!"

I love it, 'Mato!  He's fantastic!  Now THERE is an evil Aquaman!  Take that Flashpoint with your weak redesign!  He's recognizably Aquaman, recognizably evil...it's a great design.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Aaaaaand DONE! WOOOOOOO!!!!

So yeah, that was fun. And by fun, I mean that my experiences with that trident can be summed up in this one sentence:

Spoiler

I mean really, for something that looks like it should be so amazing, that trident has the most horrible mapping EVER. UGH.

Podmark

That is an amazing design, bravo Tomato.

I hear ya on the bad mapping, I've had a few like that before.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Forgot to mention: Yes, I did do two versions of the tattoos: One glowing, one regular.

Imma sleep now, but when I get up (if, y'know, I have some time before work, meh) I'll be prepping some mesh stuffage in preparation for the next antiverse character on my list.

Cyber Burn

The finished product looks great 'Mato. Will this be releasable? And I look forward to seeing your next anti-verse character.