News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato's skinwork: Atomik (01/09/21)

Started by Tomato, April 19, 2009, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detourne_me

i think i showed up to one of them....  i got a bit drunk last night, and when i woke up today there was a livestream page for you on my pc.

Tomato

So it was you then! there was a second follower for the first stream (the one where I did the shield) but only UE was talking.

Quote from: Tomato on August 27, 2013, 01:47:50 AM
Glasses are just skinned on. I thought about doing a mesh, at least for the frames, but I felt like this turned out good enough that it wasn't necessary.

Finished this during the second stream, which ran from about 5p-7p, but no one showed up. Shame.

Edit: Quoting so people don't go back a page

detourne_me

yeah, im not sure about the timing of everything,   it was my bday yesterday so a bunch of us were out drinking,   a friend gave me red vines from the states,   i just remember going home, passing out in front of my computer and eating the whole box of licorice.

Tomato

So in case anyone hasn't noticed, I've been posting regular updates to this skin on my tumblr, and I've been announcing livestream sessions there as well.

Deaths Jester

My only complaint about the skin revolves around the eyes...they just seem a bit flat and "one coloured" (not overly detailed with multiple colours used to enhance depth).  The only other thing I want to complain about is you forcing us to watch your tumbler account...I don't want to join anything else...I'm fine where I am....
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

Well, part of that is that the eyes are actually photoskinned on... I'm using a combination of regular skinning techniques and photoskinning for my facial work here, and Lewis has such dark eyes it's hard to get a ton of detail from the photos I've found.

That said, I did add a bit of shine to them, so that might help

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on August 28, 2013, 03:01:41 PM
Well, part of that is that the eyes are actually photoskinned on... I'm using a combination of regular skinning techniques and photoskinning for my facial work here, and Lewis has such dark eyes it's hard to get a ton of detail from the photos I've found.

That said, I did add a bit of shine to them, so that might help

Ahh..didn't know you were using photo-skinning techniques on this one, which makes more sense on how it looks (I never was ever really happy with how photo-skins I made came out, just so you know).  The shine did add some realism to them on the skin.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

I've always been iffy when it comes to pure photoskins (they comes out nicely on occasion, but that's pretty rare), but I've found that using a hybrid of photoskinning and regular skinning techniques does a much better job of capturing a person's likeness, without being jarring against the rest of the skin (particularly in my case since my style tends to be more on the cartoony side).

Artemis

looks great, i think the photoskinning combined with your own style creates something really unique.

BigD

I agree with you on that one 100% Artemis ^_^, it does look great and furthermore the progress on it is looking excellent so far :). I do hope that there will be a finished version soon enough, and I also do hope that you keep up the good work one way or another Tomato so that you can get this one done without any problems :D. Until we meet again my friends, CUL8TR ;)!

BigD
:cool:

Tomato

Mask is done.

Edit: So, I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma at this point. I've just about wrapped up the skin itself, barring any minor tweeks I make based on people's suggestions, and we're at the point where I'm starting to look at weapons... now, the Dragon Dagger is a given (It's a huge part of both the Green Ranger motif and AT4W) but I'm trying to decide if it's worth doing any other weapons. I'm a bit vague on my memories of the MMPR show, but from what I've been able to google, the only other weapon associated with the Green Ranger is the Sword of Darkness, and I doubt that will ever appear on AT4W because, y'know, evil sword of evil. Conversely, Linkara HAS utilized the MMPR era Battle Blasters... but that's a weapon the Green Ranger doesn't have a need for, since the dragon dagger does about the same thing.

Now, the gut instinct is to say "DO ALL THE THINGS" but keep in mind, this is not a Green Ranger skin, so much as it is a Linkara skin in his Green Ranger morphed form. Plus, the sooner that I can finish this skin, the sooner I can start the next one, and the sooner this skin will get released.

What do you all think I should do?

Amazo Version 2.2

i'm not familiar with the linkara character, but i would say to stay true to him
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Podmark

Great job on the helmet. Have you shown this to Linkara yet?
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

I've emailed him about it, but I don't know if he's seen it yet or not. That being said though, it WAS picked up by "linkarafans" on tumblr, which he follows, so I would assume though. I'm trying not to be a pest about it, but I will likely be emailing him once again when it's up for download.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious... I plan on doing Doug as well.

Tomato

TGWTG Green is up for download, for those who missed it via tumblr and on the herforce page.

also, skope is finally done on the NC

Skin is still mainly a placeholder (Basically a recolor of my green ranger skin and jnman078's black ranger helmet) but it should give you a good idea of how the skope looks.

Tomato

Made a bit of progress before needing to pass out.

Cyber Burn

I'm not familiar with the characters that you're skinning, but as with everything else you do, the quality is top notch.

Tomato

You might not be familiar with Linkara, but I'd be very surprised if you haven't heard of Nostalgia Critic. Click the image for a link to the review I'm basing this on.

It's Pandering Time.

Cyber Burn

Is there an Emoticon for embarrassment? I haven't heard of Nostalgia Critic either. But great job on the Photoskinning.

spydermann93

Quote from: Tomato on September 10, 2013, 12:46:35 AM
You might not be familiar with Linkara, but I'd be very surprised if you haven't heard of Nostalgia Critic. Click the image for a link to the review I'm basing this on.

It's Pandering Time.

I freaking love the Critic! Always remembering so we don't have to.

A true hero.

Podmark

The face looks great, but does he have no eyebrows?  :huh:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

detourne_me

Tomato

Quote from: Podmark on September 10, 2013, 03:22:59 AM
The face looks great, but does he have no eyebrows?  :huh:

Because I hadn't really skinned them yet  :P

Hard to see the the glasses, but they are there now.

Outcast

Not really a fan of the rangers, but great work in skinning the little details like their insignia?, masks, and of course the photo skinned faces and glasses too.

I'm sorry but i just have to say, that Black Ranger's face looks just like you Tomato. No offense intended.  :unsure:

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Outcast on September 11, 2013, 03:32:34 PM
Not really a fan of the rangers, but great work in skinning the little details like their insignia?, masks, and of course the photo skinned faces and glasses too.

I'm sorry but i just have to say, that Black Ranger's face looks just like you Tomato. No offense intended.  :unsure:

Oh my gosh...it does...that is cool!

Outcast

Quote from: Cyber Burn on September 12, 2013, 03:45:37 AM
Quote from: Outcast on September 11, 2013, 03:32:34 PM

Oh my gosh...it does...that is cool!

I'm just glad i'm not the only one who thought there was a resemblance.  :wacko:

Sorry Cyber, just remembered i have this important appointment i have to go to.  ^_^

*quickly teleports back to another dimension...leaving Cyber Burn to face Tomato's wrath alone.*

Tomato

no comment on Outcast's insanity.

www.livestream.com/tomatoisjp

Edit: Stream over. Just a quickie to finish a few pieces, I'll be doing more of the work when I don't have to finish cleaning my apt.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Tomato on September 15, 2013, 11:52:01 PM
no comment on Outcast's insanity.

www.livestream.com/tomatoisjp

Edit: Stream over. Just a quickie to finish a few pieces, I'll be doing more of the work when I don't have to finish cleaning my apt.

Just curious as to what I missed being streamed.

Tomato

I tried to save it, but for some reason it didn't save like it was supposed to... I basically finished the hat sections (the regular NC hat and the Sun Visor)

Give me a second, I wanna get this stupid save thing working anyway, so I'll do a rotation of each as they currently look

Edit: K, I figured it out. Rotation is just me showing a quick rotation of the heads, Hats is the NC work I did today, and I also added the two dragon dagger streams I recorded.

Tomato

DOUG IS DONE!!!! Woo!

I expect he'll be going up on Heroforce sometime tomorrow, but in the meantime, have some pictures! Also, I'm gonna quote part of a post I made a week or so ago, mainly so the people who aren't following my tumblr can read it.

QuoteI'd love to do more renditions of the TGWTG producers, but I'm already kinda committed to doing the Power Rangers thing with Doug and Lewis. That becomes a problem ESPECIALLY if I limit it to the Mighty Morphin Rangers because, at the end of the day, there are only 6 legitimate Rangers, and dozens of amazing producers on TGWTG. It's not fair for me to pick one over another when they all are worthy of being shown.

I could easily expand it beyond Mighty Morphin into the other eras of Power Rangers, who says which ranger team each person falls into? I prefer the Lightspeed Rescue uniforms over pretty much every other version, but what if the producers I put in those uniforms don't care for that ranger design?

So yeah, my preference is to just avoid the conflict entirely. But if anyone on TGWTG wants to contact me or whatever I'd be totally down with doing more of these.