News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato's skinwork: Atomik (01/09/21)

Started by Tomato, April 19, 2009, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

"My name is Oliver King. For 5 years I was stranded on an island with only one goal: Vengeance. Now I will fulfill my father's dying wish, and use the list of names he left me to eliminate those who could stop me from conquering my city. To do this I must become someone else. I must become someTHING else. I am... the Emerald Archer."

BentonGrey

Hey 'Mato, that is just fantastic!  I love the metal rivets on his cowl!  His expression is perfect, and the non-mask is also just right.

Did you model his face after the TV version?  He reminds me of him, but I'm not sure if that's just because I know the backstory here.

Either way, he's perfect as an evil Ollie!

I like the parody/inversion bio!  Great!  :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

I actually did base my face skin off of Stephen Amell, the actor who plays Oliver in Arrow, yes. Granted, it's been pretty heavily modified and what's left is buried under layers of facepaint and beard, but I'm glad it does still show through a bit.

For those who haven't guessed, Emerald Archer is the CSA equivalent of Green Arrow, who pulls inspiration from a couple sources. The most obvious from a design standpoint (at least once you compare them) is Archer from the Crisis on Two Earths animated film, though he's now more in keeping with my "keep classic colors" mentality. The green greasepaint is a bit of a nod to S1 Arrow (though it's also to tie it to someone else later on) which is also SORT OF inspiration for the more muted green, though that's also to make EA stand out against a classic Green Arrow in-game.

Tomato

Aaaand done, more or less. Need to test in FF and make sure it doesn't act funky, make the portrait file, and write up a readme, but it looks like this grinchy villain will be ready for a Christmas release.

BentonGrey

Oh, he is perfect, 'Mato!  What a great skin and what a nice design!  Yeah, your work on the face is fantastic, and it is notable that it is still recognizable.  I love the layers that you've folded into him in the 'grim and gritty as evil counterpart' vein.  :D  :thumbup: :thumbup:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

So after spending like 20 minutes figuring out how to log in, Heroforce has been updated.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Tomato on December 22, 2018, 06:27:05 AM
I actually did base my face skin off of Stephen Amell, the actor who plays Oliver in Arrow, yes. Granted, it's been pretty heavily modified and what's left is buried under layers of facepaint and beard, but I'm glad it does still show through a bit.

For those who haven't guessed, Emerald Archer is the CSA equivalent of Green Arrow, who pulls inspiration from a couple sources. The most obvious from a design standpoint (at least once you compare them) is Archer from the Crisis on Two Earths animated film, though he's now more in keeping with my "keep classic colors" mentality. The green greasepaint is a bit of a nod to S1 Arrow (though it's also to tie it to someone else later on) which is also SORT OF inspiration for the more muted green, though that's also to make EA stand out against a classic Green Arrow in-game.

I just watched this over the weekend (for the 500th time  :D ) and I was wondering if there was meant to be any reference to it. Gotta admit though, I would have really loved to have seen an Alt Costume in Red. That said, beautifully done "Mato, you definitely haven't skipped a beat.

Tomato

I feel like I'd rather keep red in reserve for Roy/Speedy counterparts down the line. Also, the earthy green is partly due to something Benton's doing, which is building off the core idea behind Sea King in the new 52, an homage to the grim and gritty 90s look. I do enjoy Arrow, but there's no question season 1 was trying too hard to be Batman.

Edit: So for those not aware, Benton has been using the FR Discord I set up to discuss ideas, but I've been posting previews and concept stuff there too. Everyone is still free to join https://discord.gg/TUDyUQh

Tomato

BentonGrey

She's coming along really well, 'Mato!  I really like the design that you've come up with.  It seems nicely sleazy and fitting. 
God Bless

Tomato

It is indeed a photoskin. I tend to try and pull eyes from various sources (in this case the actress who legitimately plays Black Siren, but I've even based eyes off action figures), but I end up stretching them around with the warp brush to get them the right size and shape, or even just paint new eyeballs, pupils, and irises over top of them if I'm not happy with how they look.

Need to skin the knives. She's almost done though.

Edit: So since this is the first version I've posted with the facepaint... this is the reason for the warpaint on Emerald Archer. Ironically, Canary's is based on her appearance in the Smallville series, and is something Benton asked me to include.

Tomato

Black Siren is up on Heroforce. Has been for a few days now actually, I just forgot to actually post it. Whoops.  :blush:

spydermann93

Hey Tomato, I seem to be getting a "Heroforce Refuses to connect" error when I try to download Black Siren. Emerald Archer works fine though!

daglob

Hmmmm... I'll run a virus check from my end, but the site tells me I can't enter with Chrome until I download a security program, and if I try to use Explorer/Edge it redirects em to a realtor's page who wants to rent me an apartment.

Ah! The links through the picture try to take me to the old site; the link on the upper menu takes me to your stuff. But I can't find either of these two wonderful scopes. <_<

Tomato

Ah. Dreamweaver didn't upload it properly, it should work now.

spydermann93

Yep, works on my end, now! :thumbup:

@Glob: Check the DC section of Tomato's stuff. They should be there.

daglob

Tomato

Finally getting around to this guy. He's been a long time coming.

BentonGrey

God Bless

murs47

I've been waiting for Silhoutte-Man for so long! Good job, Thomas J. Ato!

Tomato

So... um, long story short after losing progress on this multiple times and I was having a ton of issues with it anyway due to trying to wrap my head around the colors, I set this one aside for... 6 months apparently, jeez.

Anyway yeah, for those of you too foolish to join the Discord, this is Luthor, leader of the heroes of Earth 3. Like with Emerald Archer, the idea is to take the design from CoTE and make the color scheme a little more Luthor-y, as well as add the beard of the original. Problem is, if I made it the typical neon green armor, it'd look too much like a normal Lex Luthor armor, since there's no REAL set design for them and they tend to blur together a bit, so I inverted his normal color scheme for Mirror Luthor.

Still have a bit left to go, the face hasn't been started and I have to still do the gauntlets and shoulder pads. But he looks a LOT better now that I tweaked the colors and finished the torso armor, believe me.

OrWolvie1

Looks awesome! I can't wait to see the final product

Tomato

deanjo2000

Very nice. I always liked lex with facial hair.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

Podmark

Very cool design. Great to see more work from you.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Tomato

Alternate skin. Probably won't do this for any other Anti-Earther inspired by CoTE, but I get that the weird gold look is inspired by the Alexander Luthor from CoIE... even if I find that frustrating for a number of reasons. Using Lex's more typical Green/Purple color scheme and the beard of OG E3 Lex feels more like a counterpart to Lex tbh.

Podmark

Sweet alt! I'm a fan of the gold design from that film.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato