News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato's skinwork: Atomik (01/09/21)

Started by Tomato, April 19, 2009, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naitvalis

Very nice! This one have an oriental misterious look thanks to that red dress while i expect one similar to Sherlock holmes from the shadow you show, this one is very original, also some mustaches like the mandarin could fit...however good job 'mato.

Tomato

Wait, Tomato done with a skin on a first edit? What mad sorcery is this!?!

I kid of course. Truthfully, this isn't so much a "new skin" as a quick mod of my Johnny Quick II skin, which will be packed with a more Kid-Flash esque version as well. When planning out designs for Talon and Sea Lord, I decided that I wanted to make 2 versions, one that could be paired against the canonical 60s Teen Titans (booty shorts and all), and one for more modern designs (such as BTAS Dick Grayson Robin). Super Lass also ended up with two designs, one to match her first outfit, and one to pair against her classic red w/stars look from the 70s.

And, well, if I'm doing 2 variants for most of the Terrors ANYWAY... may as well do a version of Kid Quick referencing Wally's stupid original costume.

Tomato

Finished the more classic, Kid Flash inspired look earlier today. Opted to go with the lightning bolt ears instead of the normal helmet bolts from Johnny Quick III because it makes the design feel more transitional.

Better shot of the face. I wanted something a bit younger looking and less stark than either his mentor or the older JQ3 face.

And hey, quick note since I was just posting about it elsewhere: I post a lot of designs and WIPs for my CSA works over on the Freedom Reborn Discord. Feel free to join us.

Podmark

Very nice. I really like the classic style Kid Quick. It's a nice conversion of Wally's outfit.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Talon is progressing. Like KQ this one is another two skin deal, so I'm basically working on both skins at once. Right now I'm focusing on the "Classic" version (while setting aside any pieces I'm sharing), which is VERY loosely based on his design from Countdown. There's also going to be a second, which is basically a Talon-ified version of Dick's TAS design.

Podmark

Looking good. Can't wait to see the final version.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

spydermann93

Little did you know, that is the final version

Muahahahaha

Tomato

spydermann93

UnkoMan

daglob

Tomato

Spydermann requested I post this awhile back, kept forgetting to actually post it. I opted to give evil Richard a nightwing mullet, mostly for Benton's amusement, and had posted it in the Discord, just not here.

Finally getting off my butt to get both Talon and Kid Quick released, hopefully within the next hour (almost done). I'm excited to finally let you guys get your hands on these, I hid an easter egg in one of them when I was setting up my skopes that I can't wait to see y'alls reaction to.

Edit: They're up. Have at it guys. I'll be on vacation soon so I won't have computer access to dive into the next skin right away, but in the meantime... I know it's *usually* a faux pas to post images in a skinners thread, but if someone wants to share pics of that easter egg I mentioned...

Cyber Burn

:banghead:   Aaahhh!!! I can't find them!!! Nooo!!!    :banghead:

Cyber Burn

I would have put this in my thread, but it's pretty much extinct. I'm going to assume that this is the secret 'Mato was referring to:

Spoiler

Though I could be wrong.

Tomato

No, it absolutely is. It's a reference to something I came across when coming up with ideas for the skin.

SickAlice

Between you and Pod are my inspirations when it comes to texturing. You in particular caused me to try and do more study and do more with textures then just flat bases, like I did for most of the Lantern Corps. Great to see you are still dedicated to the craft.

Klauser

Tomato

daglob

Tomato

I should note that, like with both Talon and Kid Quick, I'm making two variants for Sea Squire: One more reminiscent of his original design (long sleeves, underoos) and one that's closer to his N52 Titans appearance (no sleeves, pants, tattoos on the arms). As such, priority RN is to skin areas that'll be the same for both before splitting work between both versions.

Tomato

Sea Squire is slowly coming together. This is obviously the "Classic" version (aka the one with the booty shorts) but I've been laying groundwork for both as I go.

Podmark

Looking good. Can't wait to see the final version.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

windblown

Tomato

He's pretty close to done now... sort of. The hair is the last major piece, but the "Modern" skin was also meant to have some arm tattoos. I've got a few options in mind, but I'm waiting to hear back from Benton on it before I start making them.

Which, considering Benton's been eaten alive by his job lately... might be awhile.

Tomato

So as I said, I was planning on giving the "Modern" Sea Squire tattoos from the start (his design is loosely based on Garth's post-rebirth Titans appearance) but I had a few different ideas for what they could be that I was bouncing back and forth between: Kaldur'am's tattoos from YJ (or some reference to them), the aforementioned post-Rebirth design, and the Aquaman tattoos from BvS. What I finally decided was to go with what I felt was more edgelord try-hard (which, tbf, was part of the reason I included them to begin with) and really, what's more try-hard than Zack Snyder's DC films?

That and, frankly, the rebirth tattoos don't make any sense. Why would an Atlantean have tiger stripe tattoos? The eels on Kaldur make sense, and even the weird tribal fish scale tattoos of BvS have a logic to them. But Tiger stripes, specifically a tiger stripe band? Why?

windblown

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Quote from: windblown on January 22, 2020, 12:38:30 AM
I really like the "modern" design.

I'm not gonna lie, I like the Modern one the most. Admittedly, the "Classic" costume is more niche... it, like the Talon skin, is meant for anyone who for some reason wants him to be paired against the classic 60s Aqualad, while the "Modern" is for everyone else.

Speedy's counterpart is likely next (He's pretty simple, while WG's gonna be a whole thing) but I'm at a loss for their names. I'd rather not just use Supergirl, but... MAN Amaxon Thunder is not great (canon E3 counterpart to YJ's Wonder Girl).

Tomato

It's coming along. Apologies to anyone expecting me to use Archer's color scheme from CotE... but I'm saving that one for Crimson Archer whenever I get around to the Adult Terrors.