News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato's skinwork: Atomik (01/09/21)

Started by Tomato, April 19, 2009, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Haha, I am just loving these, 'Mato!  I've already given you some feedback on Discord, but allow me to reiterate my fondness for these designs! 

First off, those Aqualad designs are just fantastic!  The classic one is good, but that modern one is just too awesome!  I LOVE the gray pallor and dark eyes, along with the evil mullets.  I didn't notice them before, but I think your choice for gloves is really interesting.  They're quite cool, and it gives the character some of his own personality.  Of course, the tattoos are a stroke of genius.  They perfectly capture the tone of satire for modern comics excesses which I love for these CSA characters.  "edge-lord try hard," ha!

As for the Speedy counterpart, it's coming together really nicely.  I think that color-scheme is really going to suit that design.  In terms of names, how about:

Speedy: Dread Arrow, Dead Arrow, Crimson Bow, Blood Bow?  I think I quite like "Dread Arrow."
Wonder Girl: Power Princess, Fury Girl, Nike...hmm, this one is tough!

Incidentally, I'm really curious what you'll come up with for her.  I know neither one of us was content with the Crisis version.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 28, 2020, 02:46:30 AM
I didn't notice them before, but I think your choice for gloves is really interesting.  They're quite cool, and it gives the character some of his own personality. 

TBF there, the gloves and belt are both ripped from movie Aquaman. I had tried to rip the boots too, but the way they were designed just didn't really work over the FF model, especially for the leaner male_teen body.

Ironically though, I used them in the first place because they were very similar to those elements of Sea King's design, particularly the belt area.

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 28, 2020, 02:46:30 AMOf course, the tattoos are a stroke of genius.  They perfectly capture the tone of satire for modern comics excesses which I love for these CSA characters.  "edge-lord try hard," ha!

TBF that's a thing that's come out of our discussions, but I felt it was particularly relevant with the Terrors because of their ages. These are the proteges of some of the most evil people on their earth, it seems wholly appropriate that they'd be try hard young idiots at that age.

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 28, 2020, 02:46:30 AMAs for the Speedy counterpart, it's coming together really nicely.  I think that color-scheme is really going to suit that design.  In terms of names, how about:

Speedy: Dread Arrow, Dead Arrow, Crimson Bow, Blood Bow?  I think I quite like "Dread Arrow."
Wonder Girl: Power Princess, Fury Girl, Nike...hmm, this one is tough!

Incidentally, I'm really curious what you'll come up with for her.  I know neither one of us was content with the Crisis version.

For Speedy's counterpart, it's actually kind of ironic that "Speedy" is taken for the main universe, because that's actually an amazing name for a drug dealing punk kid. The name I've been tentatively using is Quickdraw, mostly because I'm trying to keep to a one word name to match Speedy's if possible.

For Wonder Girl... I feel like Power Princess is kinda taken. I dunno, I kind of want "Super" to be in there, but unfortunately the only non-Supergirl name that keeps coming to my brain due to the alliteration of it is one I don't want to use for several reasons, not the least of which being the fact that it's a violation of board rules.

Tomato

Face is done. As I mentioned in the discord, I made a point of avoiding facial hair for teenagers, but... I REALLY hate that stupid soul patch nonsense he had during the Outsiders book (a book I've come to dislike more and more as I've gotten older) so I'm including it on Roy's counterpart as an expression of said hatred. Also did the super short cut from YJ's Arsenal. I came across it when looking up references for the facial hair, and it just seemed... right.

Also grease paint mask, because why not?

Podmark

Great job, I love how you do two versions. And it's interesting hearing your design though process.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Quote from: Tomato on January 28, 2020, 04:01:51 PM
TBF there, the gloves and belt are both ripped from movie Aquaman. I had tried to rip the boots too, but the way they were designed just didn't really work over the FF model, especially for the leaner male_teen body. 

Ironically though, I used them in the first place because they were very similar to those elements of Sea King's design, particularly the belt area.

Well, I like the fingerless gloves, in addition to the scalloped design.  It is a very modern-ish touch and feels very fitting for the vibe we've been developing.  What did the boots look like?

TBF that's a thing that's come out of our discussions, but I felt it was particularly relevant with the Terrors because of their ages. These are the proteges of some of the most evil people on their earth, it seems wholly appropriate that they'd be try hard young idiots at that age.

Yes indeed.  I think we've really hit on something with this approach.  It makes sense, and it's just a fun twist on the designs.  Take the angst of modern comics, multiply it by the natural angst of teenage characters, and then multiply THAT by the incredibly dysfunctional relationships these characters would have, and you've got the most emo posers ever.

For Speedy's counterpart, it's actually kind of ironic that "Speedy" is taken for the main universe, because that's actually an amazing name for a drug dealing punk kid. The name I've been tentatively using is Quickdraw, mostly because I'm trying to keep to a one word name to match Speedy's if possible.

Ha!  Yeah, Speedy for a drug-dealing version (I don't remember if I've told you, but I love that angle, ha!) would be quite fitting.  Quickdraw works and is nicely parallel in structure, but it doesn't sound terribly malevolent.  Of course, the main CSA member's names don't either.  Ultraman could easily be a heroic name, as could the others, so in that sense, it is fitting.  I suppose I tend to go to the more blatant in my naming choices.

For Wonder Girl... I feel like Power Princess is kinda taken. I dunno, I kind of want "Super" to be in there, but unfortunately the only non-Supergirl name that keeps coming to my brain due to the alliteration of it is one I don't want to use for several reasons, not the least of which being the fact that it's a violation of board rules.

Hahaha!  Now who's being blatant?  Ha!  Yeah, that would certainly fit, but it is perhaps a bit too on the nose.  It would be really good to keep the continuity of "Super," but I'll be darned if I can think of a good way to do that.

Oh man, I love the close-ups!  The soul-patch is perfect, and I love, love, LOVE the guy-liner/grease-paint mask.  Ha!  Once again, so very modern and 'edgy', and very fitting for this guy.  Great work, 'Mato!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

The Aquaman movie boots were similar to the gloves, but with a lot of jutting bits that made scaling down a pain. Also, the model was made with Momoa's huge calves in mind, so the shape of them just made it look like he was wearing clown shoes.

As for the fingerless gloves, those were mostly due to some yj style adult tempest fanart, but also due to a specific style of swim gloves.

For Quickdraw's grease paint mask, it's to keep anti-roy consistent with EA and Black Siren.

daglob

Tomato, have you tried sculpting stuff in Blender? Sometimes it works, other times...

Tomato

I mean, I could do that, or work to modify it in max, or whatever. Big thing was though, they didn't look great, and part of the intent was to emulate Sea King... Who doesn't have boots either.

Speaking of... Whenever Super Starlet gets done, I was thinking of doing some of the new 52 CSA... Not of the main 5, I've done them to death, but Sea Squire got me itching to try my hand at Sea King, and I've been meaning to do my own take on Death storm for awhile.

deanjo2000

Beautiful work, I always enjoy seeing csa stuff from you as you always seem to nail them :D as for a name maybe 'quick-fix' or is that too on the nail?.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

Tomato

See, I ultimately kept Quickdraw because it seemed to be in the same naming sphere as Speedy. It's a different name for the same sort of idea, that he's quick with a bow.

Speaking of, Sea Squire and Quickdraw have both finally been released. They've been done for a bit now, I just couldn't be bothered to make read-mes/portraits/preview images.

daglob

Quote from: Tomato on February 11, 2020, 05:00:33 AM
See, I ultimately kept Quickdraw because it seemed to be in the same naming sphere as Speedy. It's a different name for the same sort of idea, that he's quick with a bow.

Speaking of, Sea Squire and Quickdraw have both finally been released. They've been done for a bit now, I just couldn't be bothered to make read-mes/portraits/preview images.

Where might they be located, though? I'm looking at Heroforce, but...

Tomato

it's in the DC section, under Teen Terrors. You may have to reload the frame.

I need to do something about the index page at some point. It's just not convenient to update manually with latest releases, but I know it confuses people.

daglob

Tomato

So lack of face/hair aside, this is what I've come up with for the "original" outfit of Super Starlet. It's sort of a blend between Superwoman's Pre and Post Crisis designs, which I felt worked well since original Donna's design was just teenage WW.

windblown

It's looking good. I especially like the emblem.

BentonGrey

Looks good, 'Mato, but she could use something to make her a bit more distinct.  Maybe invert the black and yellow?  Or perhaps add a skirt, like SA Wonder Girl?  Those may both be too drastic, as it is a nice design, but it seems a little too close to her mentor to me.
God Bless

Podmark

Looks great and fitting considering Donna's original look. Very curious to see what you come up with for the modern version.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Quote from: windblown on February 15, 2020, 10:14:37 PM
It's looking good. I especially like the emblem.

TBF, while I can take credit for the original model, it's actually lifted straight from my CLA Superwoman, which was based on her design by George Perez. I just changed the S to Black instead of Red. I was originally planning on doing something more like Morrison's Superwoman emblem, but I felt the more "old school" logo was more appropriate as a parallel to Donna's first design.

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 15, 2020, 10:18:21 PM
Looks good, 'Mato, but she could use something to make her a bit more distinct.  Maybe invert the black and yellow?  Or perhaps add a skirt, like SA Wonder Girl?  Those may both be too drastic, as it is a nice design, but it seems a little too close to her mentor to me.

I did actually make a minor change to this version (the glove additions are a reference to something that'll be clearer in the "Classic" skin) but I actually don't want to stray too far off that path for THIS design. This is, after all, the parallel to WG's original design... which was originally just intended to be a younger Wonder Woman. That's sort of the idea here as well, that while it is also Donna's counterpart, it could be a young Superwoman.

Also, quick correction from someone who has looked at waaaay too many references for the fab five... Donna's never worn a skirt as WG. Original outfit Donna/teen WW is actually wearing short shorts. That said, I considered a skirt for SS... but a regular skirt felt too cutesy, and the WW battle skirt was too modern looking and would look out of place.

Quote from: Podmark on February 16, 2020, 12:43:29 AM
Looks great and fitting considering Donna's original look. Very curious to see what you come up with for the modern version.

Thank you. I've got some ideas for it that'll take me a bit of work, but I think will be worth it.

BentonGrey

Ahh, you're right 'Mato, I was thinking of the shorts.  Maybe some type of yellow about the waist would mirror that, then?  I like the gloves, and I love the emblem.  Anyway, it's a great skin and a good design, one way or the other.  I love the face!

https://www.nj.com/resizer/L_jvvF3zrWm9sv9_U0FJygLlClQ=/1280x0/smart/image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width600/img/entertainment_impact/photo/teen-titans-05e76ed1f4212f60.jpg

I guess what I was thinking of in terms of classic WG was her looser, sort of baggy costume.  It's almost more informal than WW's.
God Bless

Tomato

Tomato

OrWolvie1

BentonGrey

As I said on Discord, I love this one.  On the one hand, you'd think 'well, just inverting the colors is cheap,' like we keep saying, but you manage to create such a unique, perfect design, that the color inversion works perfectly as well.  It feels like the natural color scheme for that costume/character.  She looks like an evil Wonder Girl, and it's a good design in its own right.  Great work, 'Mato!
God Bless

Podmark

Very nice. It seems to take some inspiration from Donna's Rebirth costume.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Yeah, the design is basically a mix of Donna's rebirth outfit, and the outfit from the Titans streaming series. The latter is sort of a running gag between Benton and I, where I'll incorporate stuff from the live action shows here and there (Zoom is probably the most on the nose with that, he's basically just Teddy Sears' "Jay" with a different helmet and JWS' face).

As for the colors, I mentioned a bit of this to Benton... The general idea I have is that as main universe Donna transitions to her Titans era Black/Silver design, evil Donna's outfit gets brighter and more colorful.

BentonGrey

Ha, yeah, I love the running gag.  The Green Arrow and Black Canary ersatzes are my favorites in that category so far.  :lol:

On a cool note, while this works as a parallel to modern Donna, it also works as a really nice parallel for Bronze Age Donna as well.
God Bless

windblown

Tomato

So my plan is to get SS ready to go up sometime this week, possibly tonight but no promises.

Next up I'm going to take a short break from mirror mirror goodness and work on a skin Benton requested, followed by a few *canon* CSA members I have yet to skin myself.

BentonGrey

God Bless

Tomato

Super Starlet is officially up, and I'm basically done with the next skin already (so weird) just waiting on Benton's approval.