city of heroes character creator tool ....

Started by naitvalis, April 24, 2009, 10:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naitvalis

i have a question  :

i have city of heroes character tool, there is even a little chance i can use this meshes or maybe the skins created with this editor?

P.S.: please be patience, i'm not a programer or a pc genius.

(sorry if the post look added in the wrong section)

tommyboy

Not really, no.
Although technically possible, if you used a programme like DXripper to "rip" the meshes. Then if you had 3dstudio Max 4 or 5 you could import the ripped meshes. You would then need to rig and texture them to work in Freedom Force.
But, I believe everything made with any COH/COV stuff is copyrighted to NCsoft or whoever owns the game, so legally you cant.
So overall, no, you can't.
Some of the people here, including me, could, but I wont, and i doubt anyone else will either.
You might have more luck just asking for your characters to be skinned on FF meshes.

Welcome to the community by the way.

naitvalis

thank you tommyboy (for reply and welcome), i only ask cause it can be great if there is a possibility to build a character with an editor like that.

P.S.: but if the characters  are not build for commercial use is still illegal  :huh:

tommyboy

Quote from: naitvalis on April 24, 2009, 02:11:05 PM
thank you tommyboy (for reply and welcome), i only ask cause it can be great if there is a possibility to build a character with an editor like that.

P.S.: but if the characters  are not build for commercial use is still illegal  :huh:
Honestly, I don't know.
I suspect using the models or textures outside of the COH game violates the End User Licence Agreement, at the very least.
Whether they "own" any characters you create is another matter, as well. My understanding is that they do.
I'm sure it's the type of thing people will argue about at length, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to have a valid opinion.
I would counsel a little caution though, and maybe try to find out before taking it any further (assuming you are able to).