Freedom Force & Freedom Force Vs The Third Reich now on Steam!

Started by Spitfire, May 29, 2009, 11:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitfire

:ff::ffvstr: are now available for purchase on Steam! For £4.99 both! Now that the games will use the Steam system of copy protection it will work on computers with Vista, like mine!

I was heart broken when I found I couldn't install FFVTTR on my new, Vista-OS computer when my last one gave up the ghost. However, disaster strikes again! Steam's store doesn't accept debt cards, which is a mighty pain in the behind for me. I guess I'll have to use a friend's PayPal account to buy them.

This will hopefully breath new life into the community here, too! Perhaps we should make some sort of Beginners Pack, listing and instructing the ways to create new models, skins and coming with a few for the newcomers to install themselves?

deano_ue

thats good news, it may breathe new life into the game

The_Baroness

i would buy them on steam only to make sure that if i ever lose or damage my disks will always be able to install them again with no prob at all... my original half life disk died years ago, but i was able to log back into steam, after a year, having forgotten my password and finally could install half life again from steam directly...

good life saver...

House Quake

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's available in the US too.  Less than $8 for both games.  What a deal!
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Spitfire

I've found a problem though. The Freedom Force Demo refuses to work on my computer. I'm just wondering if there would be a similar problem with the full Freedom Force game. Although, the FFVT3R Demo works just fine.

detourne_me

I just bought the freedom force pack (both games) for $6.47!!!
ok, I'm working on installing mods, and I'll report back when i've tested them.
Already I'ver found that FFVTTR uses the same save files and hero files, in the same locations as the original game.

Oh, there are already a few Freedom Force groups on Steam, I've just joined one called Freedom Force Online.

update:
OKAY!
So I've Intsalled FFX on both games and they both work well!
say it with me here: Sahhhhweeeet!
You can now play the Strangers on Vista!
I just tried and got flattened, and got to watch the great Devil Doll 101 cutscene.

However there are some changes you need to do to make the mods work.
for the most part in involves changing the directories for install and changing the links for shortcuts for the mods.

The destination folders should be:
:ff: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\freedom force
:ffvstr: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\freedom force vs. the 3rd reich

Volsung

Stuff  hosted by the courtesy of http://www.freedom-asylum.co.uk/

Epimethee

Great news! Is there any community or messaging system on Steam so folks could let new player know about FR?
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Spitfire

Quote from: Epimethee on May 30, 2009, 07:56:43 PM
Great news! Is there any community or messaging system on Steam so folks could let new player know about FR?

You could create a Freedom Reborn group, and have some links to the forum that newbies could find useful.

detourne_me

OK, I just created a Freedom Reborn group on Steam, and I put up links for here, freedomforceforever and fundament zero.
Please join up if you are a part of Steam, remember it's free, and you don't have to buy the games if you don't want to.

Epimethee

FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

DrMike2000

Wow! So suddenly all problems with playing Freedom Force the original on Vista have gone?
Bizarre...

Thats really good news. BTW, Thanks for putting the link to Fundament Zero up there, detourne. Much appreciated!

Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

Tomato

Quote from: DrMike2000 on May 31, 2009, 03:07:06 AM
Wow! So suddenly all problems with playing Freedom Force the original on Vista have gone?
Bizarre...

Thats really good news. BTW, Thanks for putting the link to Fundament Zero up there, detourne. Much appreciated!

No, they still exist... we just have solutions now.

wiper

Hell of an opening post, I know, but just thought I'd throw a little downer out there: just a heads up that the Steam version of Freedom Force goes unnoticed by the FFEdit installer, making it less-than-ideal for anyone hoping to use it (as FFEdit refuses to install, thanks to it thinking Freedom Force isn't installed). Particularly irritating if you just want to jam in some custom sound packs.

Still, nice to see them up there, and who knows, maybe the problem will get fixed. Somehow.

Gremlin

Well, that bites. Hmm. Well, lots of people will still be able to make and use new meshes and skins. And anybody who enjoys the game enough to want to mod it might be willing to make a ten dollar investment to get the disks online.

Tomato

Quote from: wiper on June 01, 2009, 06:02:27 AM
Hell of an opening post, I know, but just thought I'd throw a little downer out there: just a heads up that the Steam version of Freedom Force goes unnoticed by the FFEdit installer, making it less-than-ideal for anyone hoping to use it (as FFEdit refuses to install, thanks to it thinking Freedom Force isn't installed). Particularly irritating if you just want to jam in some custom sound packs.

Still, nice to see them up there, and who knows, maybe the problem will get fixed. Somehow.

Actually, if I recall right... I was able to just extract the ffedit files, at least from FFv3R. Can't double check until FFans comes back up though.

Edit: Nevermind, can't do that with the original modforce, at least the original archive. Maybe if someone who still has FF wants to install it elsewhere and just zip them?

wiper

It's a fairly minor issue anyway, and if I was hugely bothered I'd go hunt out my old retail copy of Freedom Force (somewhere in a box in my mum's loft, I think, which is several hours by train, and several hours of searching, too much for me). Still, a zipped version (if that's possible) would be lovely. Until then, my characters will just have to sound generic!

steamteck

Irrelevant to me because I don't have Vista and am waiting it out until the next incarnation of Windows after it.. I don't do steam . I found it way too intrusive for me.

lugaru

I am so glad to see the game on steam, while my DVD's still work (despite having deep cracks) one day I will need to purchae an electronic copy that I wont be afraid of losing.

Also I went around on some forums and advertised it was out... I feel bad for comic book fans (especially oldschool ones) who own a computer yet never played this game.

tommyboy

Are we sure that we dont have to run the "Freedom Force_eReg.exe" programme, in the "ereg" directory, which some of us had to back in the day before windows and the editor believed we had already installed the game?

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: detourne_me on May 30, 2009, 12:58:03 PMHowever there are some changes you need to do to make the mods work.
for the most part in involves changing the directories for install and changing the links for shortcuts for the mods.

The destination folders should be:
:ff: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\freedom force
:ffvstr: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\freedom force vs. the 3rd reich
Quote from: tommyboy on June 01, 2009, 02:48:19 PM

Are we sure that we dont have to run the "Freedom Force_eReg.exe" programme, in the "ereg" directory, which some of us had to back in the day before windows and the editor believed we had already installed the game?

What would be the effect if the file path was changed to reflect the standard Irrational file path?  That could be the reason FFEdit doesn't acknowledge that it's installed, it's looking where it thinks it should be, file path-wise, and not seeing it.

Quote from: steamteck on June 01, 2009, 02:08:50 PM
I don't do steam . I found it way too intrusive for me.

Ok, who else finds this ironic, considering his name?  ;)
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

TwiggyTwink

Hi,

I am from Steam. I saw an advertisement for Freedom Force & Freedom Force VS The Third Reich after a gaming session. The price of $8 really attracted me. (I'm sure you guys hear this A LOT) the game appeared like X-Men Legends and looked like the same gameplay. I Wiki'd it and saw that it came out close to ten years ago... (thus coming to my conclusion that XML was heavily inspired by FFx).

Even though I downloaded the game, I still haven't played it. I'm looking for some tips about it and how exactly is it played. Is the Multiplayer really "real"? How does Multiplayer work? (I play games to socialize and team up with strangers.)

I'll be sure to join the STEAM group, for sure.

Best regards!

lugaru

It is a bit more passive than the MUA, here you will basically be pausing the game often to tell your heroes what to do. As for multiplayer it has been seeing a small revival but it never caught on that much because the beauty of this game is that no two heroes are created equal... therefore it is impossible to balance the game and play competitively. In other words I might make a character for 6k who is a decent hand to hand fighter while somebody else might make a character that blasts you to pieces with direct attacks before you can even get close.

Give it a spin and let us know what you think, there are a million meshes and skins out there if there is any hero you would like to see in the game.

TwiggyTwink

Gremlin

Can't say I've seen many (or any) of those around. Heh. Welcome to the boards!

detourne_me

yeah there werre a few reboot meshes made a looong time ago, i believe lord ehmisdy made bob, matrix, maybe even magabyte.  i think mouse and a web rider were made too, by captain carrot/webrider.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Tomato on May 31, 2009, 03:28:25 AM
Quote from: DrMike2000 on May 31, 2009, 03:07:06 AM
Bizarre...

No, they still exist... we just have solutions now.

Argh...You mean I have to buy the game again just to get it to work on Vista?

Dana

Tomato

Ok, just to explain... Basically Vista enacts extra security measures to anything within the "program files" or "program files(x86)" folders that make the game screwy. Just install it to another folder (I use "C:\Program\") and you're good.