Of Alternate Realities and Artistic Challenges Part II

Started by BentonGrey, May 31, 2009, 02:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, some of you may remember this thread that I posted a long time ago:

http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=42163.0

I got some awesome responses, and I am doing the story arc in the DCUG in which I had planned to use these characters.  I'm really excited, and I am two thirds or so done with writing the campaign.  I've run into a minor hitch though, and so I thought I'd see if anyone might be interested in doing a few more Anti-Matter characters.  I have plenty of the counterparts of heroes, like the CSA themselves, but I don't have enough counterparts for the villains.  I've got:

Riddler = Quizmaster
Lex Luthor = Alexander Luthor
Major Force = Q Ranger
Parasite = Feeder
Brainiac = Err...Brainiac
Dr. Light = Professor Radiant
Heatwave = Fire Shot

I'd like to have around three or four more characters available, so I can have a really good force with which to challenge my heroes.  I was thinking counterparts for Black Manta, Solomon Grundy, Cheetah, Sonar, Black Hand, or really any villains of the big 7 that someone might have an interest in.  I seem to recall that someone, maybe Cyber Burn, had begun work on Professor Zoom and Grundy analogues.  He also had Flash's Ivodroid skope which was really awesome.  Anyone interested?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Xenolith

Sure.  I'll come up with some ideas.  Maybe.   :lol:

BentonGrey

Cool Xenolith!  Feel free to try your hand at any villain who hasn't been done!  I suppose there are some exceptions though, Legion of Superhero and alien villains are more dicey because of the relationship between the anti-matter and positive universes. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 31, 2009, 02:23:55 AMI've got:

Riddler = Quizmaster
Lex Luthor = Alexander Luthor
Major Force = Q Ranger
Parasite = Feeder
Brainiac = Err...Brainiac
Dr. Light = Professor Radiant
Heatwave = Fire Shot

Did you decide to not use the Ivodroid, or was it a mere oversight?

One question I would posit is, how many of these villians-special sauce-heroes would still be drawing breath, as the CSA have proven to be quite brutal and lethal?  It probably doesn't matter much, was just wondering how many of the second & third tier villians might still be hanging around......would find it difficult to imagine that an anti-matter (I still prefer Earth 3  ;)) version of Kite-Man would still be seeing the light of day.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

BentonGrey

I DEFINITELY want to use the Ivodroid...but...I sorta' misplaced him. :unsure:  I thought I had all of the antimatter guys I hadn't built in yet hanging out in a specific folder, but apparently he vanished.  Cyber Burn found the skope for me, but we don't know if we can find the skin.  Whoever did that skin, if you've still got it, I could certainly use it!

An excellent question PG....suffice to say that this story involves time travel, so even though there is only one "hero" left (that being Alexander Luthor) the villain of the piece has access to a limitless supply of other heroes. 
God Bless

Cyber Burn

found the ivodroid skin, but who ever sent it to me didn't include a read me file. but i sent it your way this morning. unfortunately, i can't find my zoom and grundy counterparts.

BentonGrey

Awesome!  The might of the Ivodroid should go a long way to evening the playing field!  Thanks so much for looking for this CB!
God Bless

Xenolith

Working on a sketch...but here is a clue.

Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater,

Had a wife but couldn't keep her,

So he put her in a shell,

There he kept her very well,

'Til the townsfolk came a' calling,

What they found was most appalling,

Flesh and bones were torn apart,

In the larder was her heart,

Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater,

Had a wife but couldn't keep her,

So he put her in a shell,

And to this day he burns in hell.

Gremlin

...evil Pied Piper? Haha.

Wicked awesome though. I've never heard that.

Xenolith

No, but you had the right kind of idea.  I was thinking about an alternate Solomon Grundy.  I just realized after drawing this that the villains are good, and the heroes are bad.  D'oh!  Well, I guess all good nursery rhyme characters turn out to be bad, no matter what universe they live in.  :)  Sorry I'll keep thinking of good people.  :)

Mister Peter Pumpkin Eater.  Had a wife but decided to *gulp* eat her.

Gremlin

...oh my god I love it.

Solomon Grundy already has a good version named Gentleman Grundy or something but can I steal Pumpkin Eater for my super 'verse?

Xenolith

heh...i was thinking about the same thing for my own.  sure, that's fine.  glad you like it.

Xenolith

A very talented guy on the John Byrne Forum inked and colored it for me.  *sigh*  I'm going to have to learn how he did it.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/uploads/JohnPeterBritton/2009-06-03_050006_scan0001.jpg

BentonGrey

Very nice, and very CREEPY concept Xenolith!  That's a great sketch, and it looks even better colored.  I can definitely see the parallels to Grundy in the children's song angle.  I'm afraid the idea behind the anti-matter characters is that they are inversions of their original concept, so Superman is a villain and a bully, the Riddler is a hero, etc.
God Bless

Xenolith

I know, I know.  I've still got some ideas floating around.  :)

Gremlin

Quote from: Xenolith on June 03, 2009, 03:14:46 AM
heh...i was thinking about the same thing for my own.  sure, that's fine.  glad you like it.

How about we both do it, and if we both wind up getting anything published, you don't sue me for copyright infringement? ;)

Xenolith

Sketching last night before bed I came up with this guy.  He is a coutner to Black Manta.  I guess he could be called Sea Wolf.  That's another name for an orca, and orca eat manta rays.  I'm not sure what's going on with his right hand, and I mailed in the eyes, but you get the picture.

Anyway, he is a hero, but aggressive, emotional, and ferocious when fighting.  The only comics I've read with Black Manta were from the '60s, when everyone was a cool customer for the most part, so I don't know if he is still portrayed in that way.  I'm guessing this guy is fast, strong, somewhat invulnerable, can't control any fishlife, because he probably scares the heck out of them.

BentonGrey

Hey Xenolith, that's a great design!  I really like the 'tribal' look he's got going on.  I could sorta' see a bit of a Tarzan vibe for this guy.  I think he's cool as a good Black Manta.  That's a very nice sketch too.  I do think that the mask might be reworked to provide a bit more a tie to Manta though...I'm not sure how...hmm...
God Bless

AfghanAnt

These are neat but is there such thing as Great White seawolf? Why not just call him Great White to be the opposite of Black Manta. I think the name Great White implies he's a shark/predator.  Also I'm getting a strong Wolvie/Fang vibe from him. Not really a fishy vibe.

Xenolith

Haha. I was just writing down names next to his pic.  Put a "?" after each name.  I don't care what he is called.  Great White, Sea Wolf, Wolverine of the Sea (mmm, my favorite snack)?  Something else?  Whatever...

He does have a strong Wolvie/Fang vibe.  I sort of hand Wolvie in mind when I thought of this.  Him and Tigershark, and Pirhana.  I added the fins on the gloves and boots to try for the fishy angle.  Yes, no?  Maybe I can sketch a different head.  Something more sharkey.  :)

I have another idea, a counter for DC's Eraser.  The guy with the giant eraser on his head.  More later.