News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The three headed monkey returns!

Started by GogglesPizanno, June 01, 2009, 09:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GogglesPizanno

catwhowalksbyhimself

Man, I was laughing just watching the preview, with the new voices.  I'm glad they brought back the Curse VAs, they pretty much nailed the characters.  It looks like the new ones are in good hands.  I haven't gotten any of their episodic games so far, but I have to have me some more Monkey Island!  Escape wasn't so great, but I have hopes that the new episodic one will be terrific, plus the remake is a must-have.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

TheMarvell

I am STOKED! Monkey Island was one of my favorite series. The Curse of MI being one of my all time favorite games. I'll definitely be picking up these.

JeyNyce

Don't hate me.....I never played the game.  I heard so much about it, but I never picked it up.  :doh:

I guess I'm on a hunt to find the old games now before this one comes out.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

GogglesPizanno

New Monkey Island released today... I ordered and am downloading Episode 1 right now.
Sooooo exciting!

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI guess I'm on a hunt to find the old games now before this one comes out.

Not necessary.  We are talking about two different things here, one of which is a remake of the original game, so just grab that one and you're all set.  You can even play the original game with original graphics in the remake if you really want to, plus you'd be able to get to it work with modern computers.

Actually, MI is a pretty easy series to jump into anyways.  I mean the new one is set after a non-existent game anyways.

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on July 08, 2009, 01:21:25 AM
New Monkey Island released today... I ordered and am downloading Episode 1 right now.
Sooooo exciting!

nice to see a new monkey island story, but if the next 4 parts are as short as the first it's a little dissapointing, i'd advise against playing on full screen and high res cos you can see gaps in all the mesh work >_>
funny, but a lil too much pulling on modern day pop culture in my oppinion

Tortuga

Here's hoping Grim Fandango gets a remake.  That was the first game I played that I thought, "This would be a great movie."

Trelau

Grim Fandango! now that would be awesome.
To all Monkey Island fan: Lucasart as openly stated that if this new game sells well, not only they would make folluw-up but also....
more remake: Day of The Tentacle ( :wub:) , Maniac Mansion and many others.
So please buy the game  :unsure:

catwhowalksbyhimself

Sigh.

There are two different things here.  One is a remake, the other is a new series of mini games. Both are being released around the same time.  I'm pretty sure it's the remake that needs to sell well.

In any case, I do plan on buying both.

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: UnfluffyBunny on July 08, 2009, 11:11:27 PM
Quote from: GogglesPizanno on July 08, 2009, 01:21:25 AM
Sooooo exciting!

nice to see a new monkey island story, but if the next 4 parts are as short as the first it's a little dissapointing, i'd advise against playing on full screen and high res cos you can see gaps in all the mesh work >_>
funny, but a lil too much pulling on modern day pop culture in my oppinion

I don't know. I'm not a hardcore gamer but it took me 3-4 hours to finish... times 5 that's 15-20 hours for someone like me. That seems right up there with most modern games. And I saw a few mesh quirks, but Im not a Mesh guy so it was really nothing that bugged me. There were a few pop culture jokes that were pretty obvious, but there also were a few (especially one involving a sock) that I have been using at work a lot. So all in all I really enjoyed it. Its a fun Monkey Island game that if anything suffers from being a little too easy in some spots, and of being a decent sequel but missing the touch of the original creators.... And Murray. It needs Murray.

Sevenforce

Note: Steam now has LucasArts games to download.

The Dig and Loom are on my list :wub:

Article
I so need booze -_-

UnfluffyBunny

wow, and ?2.99 each... i'm downloading the classic indy games now >_> lol

GogglesPizanno

I had so much fun playing those Indy games.

Luckily I found a LucasArts game box at goodwill several years ago for like $2. So i have the disks for most of the games.
I still have never finished The Dig. I kept getting stuck on a puzzle... I should pull that out again.

TheMarvell

it's great that Lucasarts is re-releasing these games via digital download. However, I pretty much own them all, so I probably won't be buying any besides the remakes.

As for Monkey Island 5, I'm glad that the series is back, but I honestly don't like the episodic trend going on. It works in Sam & Max, but now you have to pay full price for one episode and wait for the rest to be released, all because it's one larger over-arching storyline? Um, then why not just release the full game all at once?

Sorry, I love MI and all, but I think I'll wait until all episodes are released before buying, much like what I did when Sam & Max came out. Having to pay all at once for an episodic game seems like a crappy thing to do.

bredon7777

You don't, actually.

You can buy each episode individually, but you'll get a price break if you buy them all at once.

As for the Episode itself, other than it commits the sin of re-using a puzzle (and not a particularly good one) and compounds it my making the new puzzle badly clued, it's vintage MI, and I loved it.

"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: bredon7777 on July 12, 2009, 03:21:14 PM
You don't, actually.

You can buy each episode individually, but you'll get a price break if you buy them all at once.

As for the Episode itself, other than it commits the sin of re-using a puzzle (and not a particularly good one) and compounds it my making the new puzzle badly clued, it's vintage MI, and I loved it.

not on my steam, one price only, individual items have no buy option, only a link to the pack.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The company's main website does have an option for individual downloads.  Didn't even know they sold on Steam.

TheMarvell

either way, I just wish they'd come out with a full game instead of just episodes. Eventually I'll get this, just probably not right away.

Now, I'm debating which platform to get the Secret remake on. I love my 360 and achievements, but part of me wants to get it on PC since I have all the other games on there. What do you guys think would be the better platform to play it on?

UnfluffyBunny

i still havent replaced my 360 since my 4th one red ringed >_>
i'll be going PC

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quoteeither way, I just wish they'd come out with a full game instead of just episodes.

Because that's not that way this company does things.  They are basically an indie company the made good.  They don't have the resources to throw into an all out full length game, but they can throw out smaller chunks, recuperate the money from those and use it to fund the next chunks.

GogglesPizanno

Yeah I had no idea it was on Steam, I just bought it form Telltale.
It was $35 pre-order, and you get all five downloads as they become available, plus a DVD of the whole thing once all five parts are released.

UnfluffyBunny

it's on steam and it's only ?6.99!!! @_@

BWPS

I can't believe I still don't have this :(

They're having a make a funny line contest, this is my entry vote for it!
http://talesofmi.com/contest/entry/1233
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

TheMarvell

I just tried out the demo to Tales.

What is up with the control scheme? UGH! It's almost as goofy as Escape's and Grim Fandango's. Sure, you can click on objects again, but why didn't they just stick with what worked wonderfully in Sam & Max? I also didn't like LeChuck's new voice actor. Why couldn't they get Earl Boen back?

The humor still seems to be there, but that control scheme is annoying. Is it better in the actual game?

personal gripe: I wish both Escape and Tales stuck with what Curse did. I thought the graphics in that game were superb and fit Monkey Island perfectly. Not everything has to be 3D to work, but maybe that's just me.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'd prefer 2d cartoon graphics as well, but this company has never done anything like that, as far as I know.

UnfluffyBunny

escape isnt 3d atall >_> it's all 2d hand painted graphics

BWPS

Quote from: UnfluffyBunny on July 19, 2009, 12:36:44 AM
escape isnt 3d atall >_> it's all 2d hand painted graphics
:mellow:
I believe you're thinking of 'Curse'. Escape (the 4th) was definitely 3D and definitely didn't look anywhere near as good as Curse. Or the first two.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

TheMarvell

that picture reminds me of how much they wasted Murray in Escape.  :( Definitely a funny concept, but god, he was so funny in Curse I couldn't believe how little they featured him in Escape.

But back to Tales...why oh why did they pick this control scheme? Its really not good...

UnfluffyBunny

bah it was early morning and i was half asleep! :P