News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Need help with avatar

Started by Iris, June 03, 2009, 01:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iris

I don't have one, and city of heroes sucked out all of my best ideas. I need some names, powers, origins etc.

I was thinking Oracle Ranger? With a gun,  and telekinesis.

Please say your thoughts on this.

Gremlin

Well, I'd suggest sticking with Iris. Just for ease. Iris, being a part of the eye, has a lot of potential abilities, like eye blasts. However, I'm imagining passive abilities, telepathy, telempathy, and precognition. Also I have this image of a woman in a lot of blue--black hair with a blue cast, shockingly blue eyes, bright blue lipstick, and a blue/black costume. Maybe her eyes go fully blue when she uses her powers, like her Iris gets really really big and overwhelms the whites.

Glitch Girl

Iris was also one of the messengers of the gods in Greek mythology (mostly between men and the gods, hence the reason she's associated with the rainbow)  She was said to have wings and could move very fast. 

Actually, what might help more is narrowing down what you're looking for in an avatar.  Judging from what you wrote, you seem to like technology (the gun), but also some mental abilities (the TK). To be honest, I'd go with one or the other, not both.  Powerful enough TK can render the gun redundant real fast. 

The name you gave, "Oracle Ranger" is a bit of a mouthful.  Now, "oracle" implies some kind of precog or clairvoyance  (mental abilities again).  "Ranger" is a little trickier since it could go with the more classic ranger (using classic weapons like bows, swords, etc) or the modern military ranger (again, firearms, possibly a stealth suit, etc)

What do you want this character to do? Is this a team player or a lone wolf?  Are you a good guy or a bad guy or something in between?  Whatever you can come up with that might help, just shout it out. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Iris

Ok, I'm a guy, I was thinking team player, and a good guy.

I'm trying to get oracle and ranger to fit together.
I was thinking modern military ranger, possibly a pink/purple costume "#AA1CBB".

I dont have the sightest idea what his cotume will look like.

maybe elements from this http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/western/vigilantewq4.GIF, and http://jerome.galica.free.fr/marvel/X-Men/New%20Mutant/JR-Sam15.gif.

Gremlin

http://fabricadeherois.blogspot.com/

This website is awesome. Try playing around with it. There's a circular button near the top that has a US flag in it that translates the whole thing from Portuguese to English.

Iris

so what do you think my my idea? I will try that.

Glitch Girl

It's a start.  I'm gonna play with it a bit tonight, though I recommend the link Gremlin posted for your own brainstorming.  Ultimately it is your character. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Gremlin

Quote from: Iris on June 03, 2009, 09:19:52 PM
so what do you think my my idea? I will try that.

Oh, I like it. Heh. Being able to mix precognition/tapping into some "divine" power with a military background would be cool. But I'd advise against pink, since it's awful bright. If you go with purple make it dark. I like a Vigilante-style kerchief over the mouth, though.

Glitch Girl

Okay, decided to dust off an old TAS template for this one.  Been practicing my vector skills as of late.

I didn't draw the guns in the holsters but assume they're there.  Originally there was going to be a jacket but somehow it got eliminated during the process.

Concept 1

Feedback encouraged.  Let me know if you want anything changed.
-Glitch Girl

Iris

I don't like the sash. the one thats pink. but i do think something needs to be there.

Reepicheep

Perhaps you could work it into the pattern of the top? So you get the kinda diagonal half with a perpendicular line going across the other shoulder.

Glitch Girl

Something like this?

Concept 2
-Glitch Girl

Reepicheep

Not what I was trying to say, but it works just as well! I like it!

Gremlin

Did you intend to incorporate that lowercase i into the design? I really hope not.

Glitch Girl

No I didn't.  Where do you see a lower case "i"?
-Glitch Girl

Reepicheep

Oh, i see it. Look at the black. The dot is on the next.

Iris

I don't see a lower case i.

Ok! Thanks guys!

Here is what i think it should be

what do you people think?  image him with two guns in his hands.

Gremlin

That's kinda cool, Iris...he looks like a Golden Age version of Glitchie's av. I'd recommend making it more clothlike and less like spandex, since he's got that kinda steampunk/GA flap. And I can't really make out the symbol. Looks kinda like a melted Q.

Iris

Acutally thats a part of the cape.

Gremlin

No I mean the flap with the buttons. Flap is the wrong word but I don't know what the parts of clothing are called...

Glitch Girl

Sorry, haven't had a chance to get back to this thread.

I'm kinda with Grem on this, more clothing like and less spandex-y would work better I think.  Changing the trunks to a belt and the tights to pants might look better.  Possibly a deeper, more maroon like red too to increase the contrast between the purple and the red areas. 
-Glitch Girl