News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Trading Keyframes?

Started by John Jr., July 28, 2009, 01:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Jr.

Ok, newbie question.
There is a way to copy keyframes/animations from a mesh to another, different one? For instance, i can copy "melee_idle" from character A to use it in "character B"? I know we can use Keyframe Transfer Utility for FFvTTR to copy animations from compatible keyframe files, but is possible do that with different  (non-compatible) keyframes  sets?
Thanks in advance!

Tomato

It's all dependent on what you're talking about... if we're talking keyframes from other games or even from FF1 to FF2... no, not possible. But if we're talking a key from one FF mesh to another... it depends entirely on which ones we're discussing. Most keyframe sets actually do work from one mesh to another, technically speaking, but because the biped (bone system) is of different sizes it creates some warping issues. The most notable case is Male_Stretched, an old school mesh used prior to TJ's Plastic Man for Mr. Fantastic and other such chars... it was created by using Male_hulking (or heavy, I forget) keyframes on a MB set.

John Jr.

Both keyframes sets i have i mind are from  :ffvstr:
I want copy the melee_idle from one mesh to other, just to have a different moveset, since a lot of my custom characters use the "boxing stance" melee_idle version. For instance, i could copy melee_idle form Renegade's Superboy to VX Superboy? They are both from FFVSTR and have almost the same size.
How i can do that?

daglob

Someone (Kenn X? Maybe) once did a display of what the basic characters looked like when you swapped their keyframes around. I can find the images from the web-page (I saved it, natch), but I can't find the page itself. I can also find a text file that I cut from the HTML document, but it is a little hard to read: two columns squished into one.

Tomato

see, that's a bit more complicated... VX meshes utilize vastly different bipeds then the irrational meshes, and will not work without a little jurry-rigging. Basically you'd need to go into Ren's Superboy keys, find every node that Ren's keys call for that VX_superboy doesn't have, and then make blank nodes for them all... it's not very difficult, just very tedious. Plus, you have to contend with the fact that VX meshes use entirely different bone sets for areas like the hands and the face... it's entirely possible they'll have odd expressions or finger positions in the animation.

John Jr.

Understood. So, would be easier use two VX meshes or two Renegade's, right? What program i need for that?
Once more, thanks for helping me!