Artemis' Skins: Let's pretend it's on a model... 26/06/2010

Started by Artemis, August 08, 2009, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

I'm attempting my first skope which up till now (including failed attempts) has taken almost fifteen(ish) hours (maybe more)

It's for an avatar update, because I've always wanted my own mesh to make me feel special....- well now i can sort of achieve this with Nifskope!!!

Okay, i need some opinions though....Should i keep the horns as is? or try and get them to the photoshopped collage's size and positioning - it definately looks more elegant and refined. But I kind of like the tribal, primal feel the big stand up horns have. Second which helm should i use? I'm leaning more to the legionnaire becase it shows more of the face....but I do like the VX_Statesman one.

Any suggestions welcome.

And now - I will be trying to create my own skopes for each of my original characters. I think Battle Angel is fine as is. But Alien Girl will definately be getting a headpiece, as well as quite possibly the skin texture technique you suggested Ewzzy, thanks for the idea!

Ewzzy

Ooh, I love the helms. Great idea! As for the horns position, can I choose C? The first example seems too wide out and bulky but the collage seems almost dainty. A halfway point might be the best option.

I'm glad to see you getting into NifSkope. It's tough sometimes but it really opens your world up.

cascarudo

really nice skins and is truth nifskope is fun great skope love the legionnarie helmet with the horns

murs47

They all look good imo. the bottom one is my favorite though.

style

I say go for the gusto try to get it to look like what you first imagined. Thats how I improved when I 1st started.
The Ultimate Fan!

Artemis

Quote from: style on August 28, 2009, 02:01:38 PM
I say go for the gusto try to get it to look like what you first imagined. Thats how I improved when I 1st started.

Thta's exactly what I did style. I did agree with Ewzzy on one aspect though, dainty is NOT what i'm going for and I think I came up with a good 'option C'.

I shrunk the horns from the initial picture, but kept them larger than the collage. I'm actually quite pleased with the finnished product. I put the shield in the centre and have started to create a little emblem.

Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance guys!

laughing paradox

I really like that symbol in the middle of the helmet. Good skope job.

Ewzzy

I dig it! It's a perfect balance between the other options. Are the horns gonna be white?

murs47

that looks really good, im also digging the emblem :thumbup:

Artemis

Yay another original! The Dragon! She uses the mask from ink's sunfire mesh.
I still need to work out how to add reflect/gloss layers in nifskope and i feel i want to put some folds and creases into the turquoise area to lift it from the blob of green that it is right now (especially in the chestal area).

If you're interested, she's a martial artist - yay for cultural stereotypes!

cmdrkoenig67

The Dragon is cool looking...But I have a question, Artemis.  Is her hair meant to be Turquoise too (or is it black with blue highlights)?  If not, it seems very close to her costume color in the pics.

Your new avatar Skope (with the helmet and horns) is looking awesome too.

Dana

Artemis

I think you're definately right about the hair being too close to the costume colouring. I'm going to change it to a more obvious black right now.

*EDIT* Recoloured the hair and added some seams and folds.

@Ewzzy : The horns on the Artemis skope I'm going to recolour into a gold. Originally the armour was going to be white/silver but now I'm going for gold :D

laughing paradox

Artemis

Quote from: laughing paradox on August 30, 2009, 05:59:56 PM
I really like the texture on the Dragon.

Thanks, LP. The scales were really simple to do, I didn't think it would work - but it did.

Gremlin

Is there any way to make the scales on the nose a little more clear?

cmdrkoenig67

I like the change you made in the hair, A...It looks much better. 

I'm guessing the mapping on the nose of the mask makes it warp like that?  It's a very snazzy-looking skin.

Dana

docdelorean88

You have some very nice skinning skills. The detail on the Dragon makes me think of the chainmail type suit warn by batman in The Dark Knight. You should try your hand at a few mainstreamers, they would look fantastic!
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

murs47

Artemis

Quote from: Gremlin on August 30, 2009, 08:12:56 PM
Is there any way to make the scales on the nose a little more clear?
I've been tearing my hair out trying to get the nose to texture properly. It's not playing nice though. As cmdrkoenig said it's the mapping - well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Quote from: docdelorean88 on August 31, 2009, 11:52:31 PM
You have some very nice skinning skills. The detail on the Dragon makes me think of the chainmail type suit warn by batman in The Dark Knight. You should try your hand at a few mainstreamers, they would look fantastic!
I will definately be doing some mainstream heroes, but most likely creating my own interpretations of them.

Quote from: murs47 on September 01, 2009, 02:50:53 AM
that's a cool design ;)
Thanks mister, I think looking at all your recent work inspired the coolness factor, I've honestly been inspired by your use of colours and fantastic skopes. Both you and Ewzzy have made me fall in love with skinning again, I am constantly inspired by the work  eveyone at FR puts out. But Ewzzy and yourself especially.

daglob

If you open a mesh in Nifscope, and the skin you are working on is the Standard, you can usually see updates every time you save the skin. I don't usually do this, but I have when I ma trying to get something right.

Artemis

Quote from: daglob on September 01, 2009, 02:27:41 PM
If you open a mesh in Nifscope, and the skin you are working on is the Standard, you can usually see updates every time you save the skin. I don't usually do this, but I have when I ma trying to get something right.
I've tried this method but I still can't get the mask to look right. Thanks for pointing this tip out though - I may need it again in the future.
I may have a solution to the mapping problem with Vertex's VXSunfire - the mask is basically the same shape but it's on its own texture map which should allow for greater detail. I just need to get myself bothered to actually skope it.

I've a new skin to show aswel....I think it's actually the first male skin I've shown on FR too. It's only taken 6 years for this to happen lol. Alas, it's another original but I think he's the last of them for a little bit. I'm getting a bit burned out and I've only done about five skins! Anyway, heres the companion of the blue alien girl......the blue alien guy!

I knew i wanted him to have a headpiece, and I struggled with what it should be. But i found this on VXLivingLaser. If he were in an actual comic book I imagine his powers would be shown eminating from it in a twee way...something like this:
Spoiler
Mad photoshop skillz!!!!

Yeah so, he and the blue girl are counterparts to Mentor. This handsome chap represents the telepathathic aspect of his powers while the female is the telekinetic aspect. In game I imagine she would shield him/leviitate him whilst repeling gaurds as he attacks their psyche's with mental state altering attacks.

And names...I'm debating Gaurdian for the girl as I imagine that's the role she'd play in battle. But I'm stuck on his...I was thinking The Invader - partly because of his extraterrestrial roots and partly because he'd be 'invading' your psyche as he manipulated it....meh...

docdelorean88

I like the new skin! I'm not sure if the headpeice is the right shape though. It seems a little out of place. What were the other peices you were looking at?

Xenolith

Love the costume.  Maybe if the V thingy were scaled down a little more?  I don't konw, its okay.  Really nice job, Artemis.

Artemis

Quote from: docdelorean88 on September 02, 2009, 12:22:54 AM
I like the new skin! I'm not sure if the headpeice is the right shape though. It seems a little out of place. What were the other peices you were looking at?

I looked at pieces from various meshes - Nova's helm, Sunfire's mask, Statesman's helm, Huntresses mask, and more. But i felt that none of them gave of a sense of camp 60's alien. I know his colour scheme and costume are quite modern so I felt I should counter act this with a rather peculiar headpiece. I've adjusted the skope by adding another piece:

I think the added 'weight' of an actual meshed pieces makes the V shaped element more believavle as a structure.

laughing paradox

Great skin on this new guy.. I like the costume a lot.

In comparison, though.. the female costume looks bland! Maybe add some seams to her costume, to add more cohesion to the male counterpart?

murs47

you're like the opposite of me, i almost never skin females. anyhow, looks good

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: laughing paradox on September 02, 2009, 02:29:30 PM
Great skin on this new guy.. I like the costume a lot.

In comparison, though.. the female costume looks bland! Maybe add some seams to her costume, to add more cohesion to the male counterpart?

I agree...the girl needs some more to her costume....she falls a little flat. I might also shrink the headbands a touch. Great work on these skins by the way. :thumbup:
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

daglob

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on September 02, 2009, 05:06:05 PM

I agree...the girl needs some more to her costume....she falls a little flat. I might also shrink the headbands a touch. Great work on these skins by the way. :thumbup:

That's an idea. The girl's headband doesn't compess her hair. Unless that is what you were going for...

docdelorean88

All i would do is make the horn peice less wide, elsewise i love these characters and their designs. :thumbup:

Artemis

Hi all, I'm taking all suggestions into account an have been tweaking the alien couple  throughout the day. Nothing major - just resizing of pieces and some extra seamwork on the female. All the comments really helped me hone the skopes into what I feel are successful designs....But youre going to have to wait until all the team is done so you can see all the subtle changes in the fancy group shot. So let's see...

Battle Angel, The Dragon, Alien Boy, Alien Girl..... that's four down...and I'm aiming to have a counterpart for each member of FF....just another 15 to go.... YAY!!!

Ah...but...what's this? Oh my, it seems that Ewzzy has been his incredible self and has very kindly skoped together a request I sent him before i had set foot in nifskope....Well this requires a skin, does it not?

Spoiler

Again struggling for a name - right now she's either Phantomess, or S?ance.
An assasin ordered dead by her former employer. How has she come back from the grave? What are her goals? Why is she wearing spandex?......All WILL be answered when I have the time to write her back story!

Ok, so she's obviously still under construction. still need to finnish shading on the mask/adjust gloves, bodice & boots texture/and more.
But I just love the skope so much!!!!

Thanks again to Ewzzy who is a complete gent, an amazing skinner and nifskoper and kind beyond words! Thankyou!

ALL HAIL EWZZY!

Any critique is welcome critique! ;)