Artemis' Skins: Let's pretend it's on a model... 26/06/2010

Started by Artemis, August 08, 2009, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Reading the boards and becoming inspired I decided to try skinning for FF again. I've been away so long and FR has changed SO much.
Anyway, since i'm currently on Summer break from University I decided to see if i still liked, and if i was still an okay skinner.
This new Avatar is just an update for Artemis. Only worked on the costume thus far, I still need to add dart seams on the bust area and other little details like that. Comments and Critiques welcome!!!

Spoiler

I'm going for a traditional superhero spandex look, with beaded/sequined/bejewelled elements akin pieces by Thierry Mugler, the fashion designer.

Since starting my fashion design course at uni last september I've come to understand alot more about garment creation; and I think it has helped me somewhat with this skin. Rambling over...

Xenolith

Well, whatever you learned, it paid off.  That is some really cool work.

murs47

This is really good. This is so exciting seeing so many new creators...and returning creators. Can't wait to see more :thumbup:

Outcast

Yes more skinners coming back. :thumbup:

The texture, highlights, and design is very well done. :blink: You can almost feel the texture of the cloth just by simply looking.   :kommandorox

Definitely want to see more of your work. :cool:

jtharris86

WOW! An okay skinner? That's an understatement.  :wub: Nice work

bat1987

docdelorean88

Great work, but if you are going for bejewled your insperation went much further than that. I LOVE the costume cause it looks like waves of water! It looks soooooo nice. Keep up the good work.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Tomato

good work on this skin. Can't wait to see the rest of it  :thumbup:

daglob

This is extremely fine work. Beautiful design and fantastic execution.

Artemis

:wub: Thanks so much everyone for the kind words, FR really is an amazing place!
QuoteGreat work, but if you are going for bejewled your insperation went much further than that. I LOVE the costume cause it looks like waves of water! It looks soooooo nice. Keep up the good work.
Looking at the skin now I can definately see your point, its just a happy accident i suppose.

I finished finally - I am happy with it but now I'm feeling torn over the mesh choice - I chose Eve/female_Amazon because they have what I feel is the perfect build for my female characters. But, the hair is a bit too specific for Eve for me to totally love it. I may try transfering the skin over to another mesh but for now I am quite pleased.

Anyway, just a quick description about changes:

I was going to originally leave the skin bare, but I kept thinking how impractical and irritating a glove cut to the organic shape woyuld be so i decided to turn everything into a jumpsuit with a sheer netting over the bare skin areas adorned with random beads. I added seams to the shoulders and the back of the sheer material -but I'm not totally sold on it - thoughts anyone?
I gave her a headpiece to make her seem more 'gladitorial' and armored and I am quite happy with it. I think the only thing i may need to change to make her seem even more tough would be her facial expression - but its a mirrored mesh - so maybe not :D
And I tried making her the traditional blonde i usually have for my Av, but it always looked too green. meh. I'll just say I wanted to put a bit of Eva Mendes into the mix.

Actually, I just noticed - I need to give her some glowing eyes.... is there a way to skope a glowing effect onto eyes? Another thing for me to research! :D

Sorry for the tediously long post - But if you guys/gals have any suggestions/comments/tips PLEASE let me know!

Thanks again for all of your comments guys!

primus

I think this is beautiful work.  Glowing eyes would look fantastic though

S.A.M.

laughing paradox

If you want her to look tough, change her eyebrows. Make them more arched, almost mean.. it'll come off as tough.

Really nice skin. I'm not a big fan of the shoulder seams, though.

cascarudo

Zivon23

Artemis

Argh!

OKay looks like i won't be skinning anything else for a while - my laptop has died and I need to send it away for repairs. It had all of my University Documents and some under development skins but looks like they're gone. I did backup the new artemis skin so those seven hours werent all for nothing; i just wish I'd been as cautious with my Uni work.....bummer.

Thanks again for all your comments, they've made me want to keep skinning when i get my laptop repaired :D

Ewzzy

Dang, I was looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Artemis

YAY for computer repair!!!!

Thanks for all of the comments people, i've got my laptop back and have started a few skins but only have this one WIP to show as the others are literally just testing ideas.

I based the costume on one worn by Jane Fonda in Barbarella, if you've seen the movie you should know which one I chose as inspiration.
I wanted the character to look like a 60's inspired space alien as she is a part of my new project. Basically I'm going to create my own team of superheroes using the FF characters as a basis. I may use powers, personality or origins as a starting point but i hope to create a team of unique homages to the FF. (who i can then have battle in the Rumble Room to see who is the best :D)

So here we have the beginings of the alien telekinetic from outerspace:

I'm going to try and skope some form of headgear onto her to increase the otherworldly aspect and I also need to add something that makes her less generic - designing logos and motifs right now - I'm stuck on placement as the mesh is mirrored though - any suggestions?
And I'm slightly torn -  I like the design but, does it say extraterestrial? or just blue chick in white PVC? hopefully the logo will reinforce the space-ness for me ...

(Obviously?) she is inspired by Mentor. I think I will have her as a protector character - Shields/Shield other, buoyancy, flight, repulsion to keep villains away from her and maybe a stasis attck to represent a telekinetic hold?

Artemis

Yay! Another original that people don't care about!  :doh:

I've just finnished the Liberty lad character of my group, Battle Angel. Her wings are meant to be robotic, I used elements of the man-bot skin to create it. I'm also showing the actual texture map because I spent all day on such a simple costume idea and I don't know how that happened!!!

Also this is the first skin which i used my own base skin (which is just Irrationals Eve/Law/Bacchite skins pieced together on female basic.)

Any comments?

spydermann93

Ewzzy

Cool stuff! What mesh is battle angel on? I love the design. In the 'arms at her hips' pose it looks like she has a more rounded jaw. It gives the effect of making her look more distinct.

I know the pain of creating original characters. I was with NPI for a while creating originals. (without half the creativity you're showing) I really dig what you're doing here.

jtharris86

Hey I love your design for the blue girl  :D and Battle Angel looks fantastic. Can't wait to see whats next  :thumbup:

Xenolith

Battle Angel looks like the lady from mythbusters.  Very nice work, once again.

Ewzzy

Quote from: Xenolith on August 23, 2009, 03:07:34 AM
Battle Angel looks like the lady from mythbusters.  Very nice work, once again.
That's what I saw! She does look like Kari!

Artemis

Thanks alot for the kind words people! I'm glad you like my originals :)

@Ewzzy  - Battle Angel is on Tommyboys tom_female_versatile with everything hidden except the wings and wavy hair, with the thin body selected. And Btw, I saw some of your original characters on your site, they were fantastic - maybe you could update a few with your improved skills? AFTER you've finnished your Dr.McNinja run of course ;) (cos that stuff is too good to keep us waiting)

@Xenolith - I'm intrigued, I'lll have to take a look at Mythbusters....

murs47

those wings are awesome, Art. my only critique would be to shrink her eyes a little bit. great skin :)

Outcast

A blue chick in white PVC? Sounds like an extra terrestrial to me. :P Good luck designing the logo and other motifs.

Great job on Battle Angel too. Love the wings and all. ^_^

Artemis

Quote from: Outcast on August 25, 2009, 08:15:53 AM
A blue chick in white PVC? Sounds like an extra terrestrial to me. :P

I didn't even think about that golden comic book rule. Inappropriate dress - superheroine. inappropriate dress and non flesh tone skin colour = alien. Lol

Ewzzy

I was taking another look at your blue chick, (that sounded weird) and I noticed the face seemed much brighter and paler than the rest. It looks normal with regular skin tone, but in blue it seems off. Also, you said you wanted her to look more alien. What you could do is add some speckled texture to the skin to make it seem less human. This character from Mass Effect has that going on.

Oh and I tried to find a picture of Kari Byron that looked like Battle Angel.

It's mostly the bottom right pose in your preview that has the resemblance, but I could be seeing things.