"What are you reading?" 2009 edition

Started by murs47, September 07, 2009, 04:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murs47

It's the 2009 edition!

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: X-Force, Captain America, Thunderbolts
Favorite 3 DC Title: Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Secret Six
Favorite 3 Other: Scalped, DMZ, Incognito

Best mini-series: Red Mass for Mars....what if Superman decided he didn't feel like saving Earth anymore? This is it.
Best art: Invincible, Ottley's ability to portray emotions so well is what makes this title one of the best around.
Best plot/story: Scalped....feces is constantly hitting the fan, metaphorically speaking.

Most recently dropped title(within past two months): Deadpool, yep..it finally happened.
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Dark Wolverine
Blast from the past: Joe Casey's WildC.A.T.S. run...after reading this I'm having a hard time understanding why The Authority was the more popular Wildstorm title at the time.
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: Dark Wolverine, Marjorie Liu has made Daken a much more fleshed out and entertaining character. I'm even surprised at my choice.
Biggest disappointment: The other Deadpool ongoing...can't think of the name, that's how disappointing it was.
Title that should be avoided: Cable...nothing happens, ever.
Title that you recommend: Incognito

Title going downhill: X-Factor...I'm not a fan of plots based on time travel.
Title getting better: Scalped...somehow the best title is getting even better. Crazy right?

Favorite writer and artist (working right now): Ed Brubaker (writer) and Ryan Ottley (artist)
Get this person off that title: Daniel Way off of Deadpool please
Title that should be brought back: New X-Men with Kyle & Yost
Title(s) you are looking forward to: Punishermax and Criminal: The Sinners

Ajax

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor
Favorite 3 DC Title: Secret Six, Gotham City Sirens, and Detective Comics
Favorite 3 Other: Incognito, Doktor Sleepless, The Boys

Best mini-series: Deadpool Suicide Kings (We finally get to see what happens when Deadpool and spider-man try to out snark each other)
Best art: Detective Comics
Best plot/story: Doktor Sleepless (I wish Ellis would focus on this series instead of trying to do eight or nine at the same time)

Most recently dropped title(within past two months): All things Green Lantern
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Wasteland
Blast from the past: Deadpool Classics reminds me of brighter days
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: Dynamite Studios
Biggest disappointment: Blackest Night
Title that should be avoided: Anything Blackest Night related
Title that you recommend: Gotham City Sirens

Title going downhill: Immortal Iron Fist
Title getting better: Doktor Sleepless

Favorite writer and artist (working right now): Warren Ellis (writer) J.H. Williams III (artist)
Get this person off that title:
QuoteDaniel Way off of Deadpool please
(QFT)
Title that should be brought back: Blue Beetle
Title(s) you are looking forward to: SuperGod by Warren Ellis

Jakew

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: The Immortal Iron Fist, Captain America, Thunderbolts
Favorite 3 DC Title: Detective Comics, Secret Six, Jonah Hex
Favorite 3 Other: Scalped, Fear Agent, The Boys

Best mini-series: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume III: Century
Best art: The Goon
Best plot/story: Jonah Hex ... it hits the mark issue after issue.

Most recently dropped title(within past two months): Fables ... Bill Willingham needs to retire from this title. I know he originated the series, but he just isn't doing the concept any justice, and hasn't been for awhile now. It's anti-climax after anti-climax.
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Crossed
Blast from the past: Grant Morrison's run on JLA ... solid but ... overrated?
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: Jack of Fables ... it entertains in ways that Fables doesn't.
Biggest disappointment: Top Ten Season 2 ... great comic, but the comic wasn't allowed to finish without Gene Ha on art duties. So we are left with ... an unfinished story.
Title that should be avoided: Marvel Zombies Return ... just let this concept DIE!!!
Title that you recommend: A heap ... I'll just say Invincible.

Title going downhill: Punisher MAX ... do we really need MAX versions of Jigsaw, The Kingpin and Bullseye? The series used to have one foot in realism.
Title getting better: The Walking Dead ... it's getting grimmer but more interesting and unpredictable than it's been in awhile.

Favorite writer and artist (working right now): Garth Ennis (writer) and Ryan Ottley (artist)
Get this person off that title: Bill Willingham off Fables
Title that should be brought back: Lady Cop. Just because.
Title(s) you are looking forward to: Dark Entries, a Hellblazer graphic novel written by Ian Rankin

AfghanAnt

I always love this thread because it makes me pick up things I normally wouldn't.

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: Thor, Dark Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy
Favorite 3 DC Title: Green Lantern, Adventure Comics, Flash
Favorite 3 Other: Buffy, Angel, Penny Arcade

Best mini-series: Blackest Night
Best art: Blackest Night
Best plot/story: Blackest Night

Most recently dropped title(within past two months): Astonishing X-Men (waiting on Phil Jimenez)
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Dark Wolverine
Blast from the past: Planetary
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: Batman and Robin
Biggest disappointment: Astonishing X-Men (I love Ellis but I hate the Heavy Metal art. It's too distracting for my taste because I like just looking at it)
Title that should be avoided: Uncanny X-Men (I like the Dark X-Men run but my God this title is awful and I still buy it)
Title that you recommend: Flash Rebirth (I'm not a Flash fan and I love it)

Title going downhill: X-Factor (You would think I'd love this title because of PAD, Shatterstar, and Longshot but no. I really don't.)
Title getting better: Wonder Woman

Favorite writer and artist (working right now): Geoff Johns and Frank Quitely
Get this person off that title: Fraction on Uncanny X-Men
Title that should be brought back: Teen Titans by Geoff Johns and Mike McKone
Title(s) you are looking forward to: Planetary

laughing paradox

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: New Avengers, X-Force, Daredevil
Favorite 3 DC Title: Justice Society of America, Green Lantern, REBELS
Favorite 3 Other: Dynamo 5, The Walking Dead, The Sword.. and honorable mention for Crossed

Best mini-series: Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds
Best art: Uncanny X-men.. Yeah, I said it. I LIKE GREG LAND!
Best plot/story: Top 10: Season 2

Most recently dropped title(within past two months): Teen Titans
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Black Panther
Blast from the past: New Mutants
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: Dark Reign: Elektra
Biggest disappointment: Mighty Avengers - can we get a classic Avengers team back already? One that doesn't suck, that is?
Title that should be avoided: Teen Titans - Seriously.. it's bad.
Title that you recommend: The Sword - Not a superhero book, but a lot of fun and the Luna Brothers are excellent.

Title going downhill: Teen Titans
Title getting better: Black Panther

Favorite writer and artist (working right now): Geoff Johns/Jim Lee
Get this person off that title: Miller on Teen Titans
Title that should be brought back: Exiles, Suicide Squad
Title(s) you are looking forward to: Nothing

Previsionary

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: Captain America, Incredible Hercules, Guardians of the Galaxy
Favorite 3 DC Title: Not really applicable, but I do occasionally read Flash
Favorite 3 Other: Angel, Buffy, The Mangalicious Tick (mini)

Best mini-series: X-men: Worlds Apart or Sub-Mariner: The Depths (I'm a Storm lover and I think the X-men mini has been the only book in awhile to portray her correctly WHILE dealing with stuff the main books haven't touched on. Sub-Mariner was just a great read and a nice twist on the character.)
Best art: uh... lemme come back to this
Best plot/story: Captain Britain, the complete series. I loved how all the arcs flowed together and parts from earlier storylines were used all the way up to the final issue.

Most recently dropped title(within past two months): Hrm, ignoring canceled books? um... oh! X-men Forever. Don't judge.
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Incredible Hulk (Pak better work it)
Blast from the past: The Champions (rough start, but satisfying) or The Thing v2 (totally should have lasted longer than it did)
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk... I'm surprised it actually finished. Other than that, I'd say Wolverine: Weapon X
Biggest disappointment: Both Deadpool ongoings
Title that should be avoided: Cable... the worst X-book on the stands... yes, worse than Uncanny.
Title that you recommend: Incredible Hercules

Title going downhill: New Avengers, call me when the Avengers find something non-Hood related to do.
Title getting better: Black Panther

Favorite writer and artist (working right now): tis a tie between Jeff Parker and Paul Cornell (writers); uh... lemme get back to ya.
Get this person off that title: Daniel Way off anything Wolverine or Deadpool related, Fraction off Uncanny, Ellis off AXM (based on first arc)
Title that should be brought back: *ahem* Captain Britain, Exiles, She-Hulk, Spider-girl (non-digital/backup strip format)
Title(s) you are looking forward to: Nothing at the moment... lemme get back to ya. ^^
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

Pod will try:

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: X-Force, Avengers: The Initiative, Guardians of the Galaxy
Favorite 3 DC Title: Secret Six, Adventure Comics, Blackest Night
Favorite 3 Other: none - but intend to continue reading Invincible, Buffy and Angel in trades.

Best mini-series: Blackest Night, or Final Crisis: Legend of Three Worlds
Best art:  Adventure Comics with Francis Manapul, but it's pretty early there so Mike Choi on X-Force or Carlos Pacheco on Ultimate Comics Avengers.
Best plot/story: I'll go with X-Force, but lets ignore that crossover.

Most recently dropped title(within past two months): Ummm nothing off the top of my head, save switching the three titles above to trade buys.
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Excluding new series it'd be X-Men: Legacy and Guardians of the Galaxy, both of which were on the wait for sale list prior. New titles Adventure Comics and Ultimate Comics Avengers
Blast from the past: So this is old book book I read recently? I read a couple Batgirl trades a couple months ago those were pretty great. Also finally read Civil War. Probably lots of other stuff.
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: The existence of Adventure Comics. One of my fav writers and a awesome artist doing one of my fav characters who just returned from the dead in a solo title with a backup I actually care about drawn by a fav artist of mine = win.
Biggest disappointment: Mighty Avengers dissappointed. I expected big things and got mediocrity. Same kinda goes with the Dark Reign: Young Avengers mini.  
Title that should be avoided: Everyone's got their own tastes, I'd say Hulk and Ultimatum but I've never actually read them.
Title that you recommend: Secret Six

Title going downhill:: Eh everything I read has been pretty much on par or on a poor arc. X-Factor would probably get the call but I could easily see it pulling through after 50.
Title getting better: X-Force after that boring crossover.

Favorite writer and artist (working right now): Geoff Johns or Chris Yost with Craig Kyle, Jim Cheung and Chris Bachelo.
Get this person off that title: Matt Fraction on Uncanny? But Utopia sounds decent, maybe he's starting to pull it together?
Title that should be brought back: New X-Men...but maybe see below.
Title(s) you are looking forward to: X-Men: Legacy's new direction. Yay for X-kids!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

(Misc., but that Canadian's (Pod) post reminded me of something. I hear that Fraction is finally getting to his OWN plots and moving out of Brubaker's... that COULD have an effect on his output. Perhaps... he deserves another chance. *looks at Psylocke* Maybe.)

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on September 11, 2009, 03:21:13 AM
(Misc., but that Canadian's (Pod) post reminded me of something. I hear that Fraction is finally getting to his OWN plots and moving out of Brubaker's... that COULD have an effect on his output. Perhaps... he deserves another chance. *looks at Psylocke* Maybe.)

Hey pal, there's a Marvel thread for this kinda talk.

Talavar

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: Incredible Hercules, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova
Favorite 3 DC Title: Secret Six, Green Lantern, um, pass
Favorite 3 Other: Hellboy, Ex Machina, Locke & Key
Most recently dropped title(within past two months): X-factor.  It's been bugging me for awhile now.
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Dark Wolverine - why is this so much better than when Way was on regular Wolverine or Wolverine Origins?
Title going downhill: Invincible.  Also, I someone should put a fork in Ultimate Spider-man (or Ultimate Comics Spider-man) because I think it's done.

bredon7777

Favorite 3 Marvel Titles: X-factor, Dark Avengers (ONLY good thing to come out of Secret Invasion), Thunderbolts
Favorite 3 DC Titles: JSA, Batman and Robin, The Unwritten
Favorite 3 Other: Buffy, Irredeemable, Astro City

Best Mini: The Flash:Rebirth/Astro City: The Dark Age
Best Art:  Project Superpowers
Best Plot/Story: Honestly, nothing really wows me right now.  There's plenty of GOOD stuff, but nothing that stands out as the BEST.

Most recently dropped title: Invincible Iron Man. Can we end the reverse Flowers for Algernon plot, PLEASE?
Most recently picked up title: Gotham City Sirens
Blast from the past: Been re-reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. The definitive horror comic series, IMO (and he made it work WITHIN the bounds of the DCU-so why cant you do the same, Vertigo?)
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: The consistent quality of anything put out by BOOM! studios. Seriously folks, they haven't released a stinker yet.
Biggest Disappointment: Marvel comics in general. Constantly revising their continuity, and then failing to keep that revised continuity straight, necessitating more revisions.

The rest to follow...
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

BentonGrey

I'll give this a shot.

Favorite 3 Marvel Title: Fantastic Four archives (up to 71'), Avengers archives (73'), X-Men archives (75')
Favorite 3 DC Title: JLA Vol.1 (73'), Aquaman Vol.1 (71'), NOTHING
Favorite 3 Other: Atomic Robo, Project Superpowers, Astro City

Best art:  Either Aquaman Vol.1 (Jim Aparo is just so awesome!  No one handles Aquaman as well.), Project Superpowers (It can be a bit rough sometimes, but it has a vital, heroic energy that I enjoy.), or Astro City (excellent, solid comic art).
Best plot/story: Project Superpowers has me hooked.

Most recently dropped title(within past two months):  I dropped all my modern mainstream titles a while back, so nothing.
Most recently picked up title(within past two months): Project Superpowers
Blast from the past: Ha, all of the mainstream titles that I'm reading.  I've been really enjoying the mid-range JLA run.  100-114 was especially good.  The stories that have followed have been weaker.
Biggest (pleasant) surprise: Project Superpowers has been a really cool discovery.  It's a superhero universe that, like Astro City, is free of the bad continuity and themes that I don't enjoy in modern mainstream comics.  It has the added benefit of being focused on the heroes more directly.  It is far from perfect (Fighting Yank has one of the worst costumes in the history of comics), but it is fun and interesting.
Biggest disappointment: Some of the JLA comics have been pretty terrible.
Title that should be avoided: Ehh, you know my feelings on modern mainstreams.
Title that you recommend: Project Superpowers, Atomic Robo, or Astro City.  They are all good in different ways.

Title going downhill: Everything is pretty great, so no complaints.
Title getting better: Project Superpowers definitely picks up steam as it goes on.

Favorite writer and artist (working right now): Jim Kreuger and Alex Ross or Kurt Buseik and Brent Anderson.
Get this person off that title: I'm content.
Title that should be brought back: Aquaman, but only if he were to be restarted....too much...*ahem* water under the bridge.
Title(s) you are looking forward to: New X-Men: First Class books.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

Yeah, that doesn't count Benton, and I'm willing to bet you knew it doesn't. Hence the "Blast from the Past" category.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

Quote from: bredon7777 on September 14, 2009, 04:32:34 PM
Favorite 3 Marvel Titles: X-factor, Dark Avengers (ONLY good thing to come out of Secret Invasion), Thunderbolts

Hey.... HEY! Captain Britain came out of Secret Invasion. Take that back! *shakes fist* ^_^

BentonGrey

Quote from: Silver Shocker on September 14, 2009, 08:49:16 PM
Yeah, that doesn't count Benton, and I'm willing to bet you knew it doesn't. Hence the "Blast from the Past" category.

*Shrug* They are Marvel and DC titles which I am currently reading.  That seems to be what is indicated.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on September 14, 2009, 09:06:36 PM
Quote from: bredon7777 on September 14, 2009, 04:32:34 PM

Hey.... HEY! Captain Britain came out of Secret Invasion. Take that back! *shakes fist* ^_^

Don't forget Secret Warriors! even though it didn't make my top 3 marvel titles...tee-hee

Benton, just re-name all the categories to "Blast from the Past" :P

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 14, 2009, 11:05:12 PM
Quote from: Silver Shocker on September 14, 2009, 08:49:16 PM

*Shrug* They are Marvel and DC titles which I am currently reading.  That seems to be what is indicated.

Sorry Benton, but I think he meant comic issues that are, well...current. ^_^
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

BentonGrey

It's not my fault that the big two have tortured their characters to the point where I don't want to read about them. :P  I would like to point out that everything ELSE on my list is current. :P
God Bless