Spider-Man Film Discussion Thread

Started by The Hitman, September 16, 2009, 01:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hitman

Ares_God_of_War

I really hope he plays who I think he would play :)
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

BentonGrey

This is just about the best possible thing I could hope to hear about Spiderman 4. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BlueBard

I dunno.  I like Bruce Campbell, but why Mysterio as is being speculated?  Other than the fact that I can't come up with many other Spider-Man villains I think he'd be well suited for.

I can't see him as Mysterio because Mysterio is mostly FX.  You don't see Mysterio's face, and his voice is probably going to have to be altered to make him seem spookier.   I also don't see Mysterio as a wise-guy, which Bruce Campbell does best.  It could be done, but I don't know if it's great casting or not.

Ditto for Kraven.  He's sort of got the look, but probably not buff enough or agile enough to pull it off convincingly.  And Kraven doesn't wise-crack.  Unless they play him for laughs, which might work but it's a really poor premise for a movie.

Not Rhino.  Mostly because I doubt they'll ever do that in a movie.  But, no wise-cracking, either.

Not the Vulture, because he doesn't have the look.  Ditto for the Kingpin.

Not the Lizard, who'd probably work best as CGI.  Plus no wise-cracking and no face-time.

That leaves one or two guys that might, maybe work.  Electro, or the Scorpion.  And frankly, Scorpion would be a stretch.

Why Electro?  He gets face-time, and you really need that for Bruce Campbell to get across his natural presence.  The powers are going to be FX, so you need someone who can strike those dramatic poses and make them look believable.  Plus, I don't see anything wrong with an Electro who's trading insults with Spidey and cracking jokes as he's throwing lightning bolts around.  He's a big man, which sort of works against him for the role, but they could pull it off.

Any other guesses or commentary?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

jtharris86

Yay Bruce Campbell, blah for Mysterio.
Quote from: BlueBard on September 16, 2009, 04:01:33 PM
I dunno.  I like Bruce Campbell, but why Mysterio as is being speculated?  Other than the fact that I can't come up with many other Spider-Man villains I think he'd be well suited for.

I can't see him as Mysterio because Mysterio is mostly FX.  You don't see Mysterio's face, and his voice is probably going to have to be altered to make him seem spookier.   I also don't see Mysterio as a wise-guy, which Bruce Campbell does best.  It could be done, but I don't know if it's great casting or not.

Ditto for Kraven.  He's sort of got the look, but probably not buff enough or agile enough to pull it off convincingly.  And Kraven doesn't wise-crack.  Unless they play him for laughs, which might work but it's a really poor premise for a movie.

Not Rhino.  Mostly because I doubt they'll ever do that in a movie.  But, no wise-cracking, either.

Not the Lizard, who'd probably work best as CGI.  Plus no wise-cracking and no face-time.

That leaves one or two guys that might, maybe work.  Electro, or the Scorpion.  And frankly, Scorpion would be a stretch.

Why Electro?  He gets face-time, and you really need that for Bruce Campbell to get across his natural presence.  The powers are going to be FX, so you need someone who can strike those dramatic poses and make them look believable.  Plus, I don't see anything wrong with an Electro who's trading insults with Spidey and cracking jokes as he's throwing lightning bolts around.  He's a big man, which sort of works against him for the role, but they could pull it off.

What about the Shocker

docdelorean88

Quote from: jtharris86 on September 16, 2009, 04:38:37 PM
Yay Bruce Campbell, blah for Mysterio.

What about the Shocker
Ding! The bell ends round one. Then again, he could do Chemeleon pretty well. Newer interpretations allow chemeleon to talk even if he isn't in a costume, so that could work well!
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Podmark

There's always the possibility they could tweak the movie interpretation. Maybe we'd get a Rhino that wise cracks a bit?

I like that he's in it, always cool to see more Bruce Campbell, but I'm not sure what role he'd be good for. It could be a non-comic character that's important to the plot though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BWPS

Tombstone is a good villain, maybe him?

He should play Ash again and team up with spidey and kill skeletons and witches and stuff, that'd be awesome.

My guess is he won't be any kind of supervillain or hero though, just a guy.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Gremlin

I think Mysterio and Shocker are both pretty good guesses. Whatever he is, I can't wait to see it.

Podmark

Quote from: BWPS on September 17, 2009, 04:50:33 AM
He should play Ash again and team up with spidey and kill skeletons and witches and stuff, that'd be awesome.

See now this is a good idea  :cool:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

stumpy

Quote from: BWPS on September 17, 2009, 04:50:33 AMMy guess is he won't be any kind of supervillain or hero though, just a guy.

No offense to everyone who immediately jumped to "what baddie he will be playing?", but I think that BWPS has a good point (aaargh! Even I can't dodge the bad pun...). Campbell could easily be playing someone who isn't super-powered who has a significant impact on the story. Studios have a hard time breaking free of their stereotypes, but the smartest role for BC may well be one in which he isn't one of the legion of people who has an accident and gains super powers just in time to be a thorn in Spidey's side...

I'm not saying I would bank of any real originality from the studio; I'm just saying it's possible.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

BlueBard

Point taken.  He could be a non-super.  But I doubt it.

As for who the villain(s) might be, they haven't even made it all the way through Spidey's "A-List" so any of Spidey's main dance partners still remaining are up for grabs.

There is one wrinkle I just thought of, though.  Sony may have the movie rights to Spider-Man, but I doubt they've got infinite rights to all of the villains.  And I don't think Marvel Entertainment/Disney is going to be giving up any they don't have to... not without a major infusion of cash, anyhow.

The good news there is, we probably aren't going to see another three-villain movie.  The bad news is, don't count on seeing the Sinister Six during Sony's run.

JeyNyce

He could be one of Spidey's minor villains (Kangaroo jack?) or he could have a major role like someone could be buying the bugle or a new guy trying to take Peter's job or.............

Spoiler
He could be the new Venom

(yes I think he could pull it off)
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

TheMarvell

doesn't Bruce normally say these kinds of things? I remember while they were crafting Spider-Man 3, Bruce said something that made fans speculate about him being a villain. Him saying he'll be playing a major role, but he doesn't know what it is yet, kind of only confirms one thing : that he's in the movie. He's most likely not playing any villain, but instead just a normal guy that changes the story. Perhaps he becomes Aunt Mays love interest. It will most likely be something goofy, and after seeing Spider-Man 3, goofiness is the last thing the franchise needs.

if he IS playing a villain though, Mysterio is really the only thing that suits him, if only because Mysterio is a goofy villain that would only be played well by a goofy guy.

BlueBard

Yes, Mysterio is goofy-looking.  No argument there.  That doesn't mean he -ACTS- goofy.

My recollection of Mysterio is quite the opposite, though I haven't read anything with him in it in a long time. 

He's got a major ego and prone to be dramatic, but he takes the "Mystery" in Mysterio seriously.  Acting goofy would detract from and run counter to the image he tries to project of a mysterious being with the power to bend reality.

He is a Special Effects wizard, able to produce very believable illusions and perform seemingly impossible feats through technological means.  He was even able to fool Spidey's spider sense (though I never knew if he developed that himself, or had help).  If I recall correctly, he even posed as Spider-Man to frame him for some crime.

So, Bruce as Mysterio... still don't see it.  Don't see him hiding his face, don't see him as being able to project an air of malevolent mystery.  If they go the Mysterio-posing-as-Spidey route, his body type is too different from Maguire.

TheMarvell

well, for me personally, I've never found Mysterio all that compelling of a villain. His looks AND "powers" come across as silly to me, and I think pulling him off in a movie as the lead villain would be very difficult, especially for a general audience that might not be familiar with the character. He fits in other mediums well, like comics and cartoons for example, but I just don't see him as a good movie villain.

of course, the special effects team could have a blast with him, virtually creating anything they wanted, lol.

jtharris86

Quote from: TheMarvell on September 19, 2009, 03:48:56 AM
well, for me personally, I've never found Mysterio all that compelling of a villain. His looks AND "powers" come across as silly to me, and I think pulling him off in a movie as the lead villain would be very difficult, especially for a general audience that might not be familiar with the character. He fits in other mediums well, like comics and cartoons for example, but I just don't see him as a good movie villain.

of course, the special effects team could have a blast with him, virtually creating anything they wanted, lol.

Yeah, I definitely have to agree

Previsionary

So many spidey threads around here, so I hope it's ok if bring this news up here.

Quote from: http://www.mania.com/spiderman-4-villain-revealed_article_118760.htmlMania.com has heard from reliable sources that Sam Raimi and company have begun the process of casting the villains and supporting players of 'Spider-Man 4'.

We can exclusively reveal that actress Rachel McAdams has met with the producers of the film for a major role. McAdams (of 'Wedding Crashers' and 'Sherlock Holmes' fame) is said to be a top contender for the role of Felicia Hardy, known to comic fans as The Black Cat.

Our sources tell us that the Black Cat's story fits well with Raimi's Spider-Man formula, which always finds the villains troubling not only the costumed hero, but also becoming entangled in Peter Parker's personal life as well.

More at the link.
Disappear when you least expe--

The Hitman

Quote from: http://www.movieline.com/2009/12/exclusive-spider-man-4-circling-john-malkovich-anne-hathaway.php?page=all
(...) Now, though, Movieline has confirmed with sources close to the film that Raimi’s sequel is circling John Malkovich and Anne Hathaway to play Spider-Man’s adversaries, and neither evildoer is quite what you might have expected.

If negotiations proceed according to plan, [John] Malkovich will be playing Spider-Man’s nemesis the Vulture, who packs a punch despite his advanced age.

As for Hathaway, that’s where things get tricky.

The 27-year-old actress is currently the top choice for Felicia Hardy (...)
However, unlike in the comic books, this Felicia Hardy doesn’t transform into the Black Cat. Instead, Raimi’s Felicia will become a brand-new superpowered figure called the Vulturess.

... What?

catwhowalksbyhimself

I really hope not.  That's all I'll say.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Tomato

... if that is true, then that is quite possibly the dumbest thing since barakapool.

I hate fox. So very much.

crimsonquill

I'm going to file the "Vulturess" news blurb under misinformation because Raimi couldn't possibly want to screw up the origin of the Black Cat after the backlash he got from Spider-Man 3 with the tweaking that was done with Sandman and Venom. Does he really want to prove to Marvel that after two good movies that he can't handle the franchise anymore? Now John Malkovich as The Vulture.. mmm..I could live with and Anne Hathaway could be interesting as Felicia Hardy. Maybe they want to steer away from another love triangle after bringing in Gwen Stacy in the last film but erasing her feline alias and making one up to avoid that storyline is just plain insulting to die hard fans.

Marvel already threatened Columbia Pictures after Disney bought them that they would very happily yank their contract if another film disaster occurred and reboot the Spider-Man films so they could merge them into the movieverse that Marvel Entertainment is developing. If this is the case then the suits at Columbia better start paying close attention to the scripts and artwork coming in and out of Raimi's office.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Ares_God_of_War

Maybe they are afraid of people thinking about the Halle Berry Catwoman movie.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

BWPS

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on December 09, 2009, 03:13:41 AM
Maybe they are afraid of people thinking about the Halle Berry Catwoman movie.
I really like the Black Cat character. But, really, Catwoman is a criminal turned antihero who wears black and has a crush on the masked hero who might be ugly. And she was introduced 30 years before. Hathaway as Felicia? Lame. Why don't they ever cast people who look like the characters.

But really, having a Vultress (as stupid as that sounds) leads me to believe the Vulture will be mostly revamped from the comics, which is definitely good. I like a lot of Spidey enemies but I really would like to see something cool that I haven't really seen before. Spider-Man 3 suffered from too much villains, but an old man with wings is really not even close to good enough for a fourth movie, even if they do try to clusterfrick with a bunch of others. I'm really excited to hear about it, I mean Spider-Man movies have always been extremely cool even when they're retarded.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

JeyNyce

It worked with Harley Quinn in Batman, but I don't think that would work with Spidey.

BlueBard

About the only thing that would interest me in an appearance by the Vulture would be some truly awesome aerial battles.  Other than that, I'd rather see other more interesting and more powerful Spidey villains.

Is it just me, or does the news that's come out about this film so far really underwhelming?

Mysterio?  Vulture?  That's what we have to look forward to???

Now Hathaway as the Black Cat... I could see it.  She's maybe not quite as (ahem) endowed as Felicia Hardy has been drawn in the comics.  But she wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice, either, with her hair done in white.

Mr. Hamrick

the news I have heard is that it's going to be Electro instead of Mysterio.

i've also heard Lizard as well.

Either way... some sort of Sinister Six is being built up.

Jakew

I'm pretty sure Lizard is a definite, considering the other films have laid some groundwork already. It'll be hard not to rehash the "Spiderman's mentor turns villain in scientific accident" theme we've already seen twice previously.

BlueBard

Quote from: Jakew on December 10, 2009, 06:36:51 AM
I'm pretty sure Lizard is a definite, considering the other films have laid some groundwork already. It'll be hard not to rehash the "Spiderman's mentor turns villain in scientific accident" theme we've already seen twice previously.

Well, that fits pretty well with Spidey's own origin, so I don't have a problem with that.  Better than alien black goo.

(I just realized I'm comparing Venom with The Blob...)

JeyNyce

So it is possible that they are building up for the Sinister Six and that means that Doc Ock could be making a comback...... :thumbup: