News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Freedom Force Vs FFVTR

Started by AfghanAnt, September 21, 2009, 09:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

Which one do you play and why? Since 2005, I've be exclusively  :ffvstr: but once I purchased the Freedom Force pack on Steam -

I've realized :ff: >  :ffvstr:.

Comments?

Also Irrational Games did themselves a disservice with  :ffvstr: by not making the meshes more compatible and honestly it should have been an add-on. It would have tripled the sales of  :ff: and cost a lot less money to make.

deano_ue

it's 50/50 with me at the mo. i play  :ffvstr: because it is the only one i have and can work on my laptop

most of the meshs on my HD have been converted and now are for  :ffvstr: and i like the quality of my skins in dds format over tga so thats a plus

though being realistic there is so much more in the forms of mods, fxs, hero files and such for :ff:. which can be said is the fans fault really rather than irrational

wickerman

Don't get me started.  I could write 20,000 words on why  :ff:> :ffvstr:.   In a nutshell - better energy management, less cartoony look, better campaign.   :ffvstr: gets points for better user content (FFX, EZSCRIPT etc), but  :ff: will always be my fav of the 2.
The Wickerman - creator of the Metal Storm Mod -
[img]http://webzoom.freewebs.com/wickermanim/cw.jpg[/img]

Podmark

I play the 2nd pretty much exclusively these days mostly because of convenience.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

I play the second game only, UNLESS I have to test/take pics of a mod for FF1. I found that modding for FFv3R was actually a bit easier (in some cases), although modding in general gives me a headache and makes me want to hit a Murs or UE. Oh, and I guess you all noticed I only fx for FFv3R as well, and that's mostly because the game needed it... badly. In fact, now that I think on it, I made fx for FFv3R before I even had the game. ^^.

Still, FF1 has stuff I like more and so does FFv3R. I mean, I like the lighting effects in FFv3R a lot more than the effects in FF1, but I could do continuous/force attacks in FF1 and it had a more open ended energy system. So... yuh.
Disappear when you least expe--

DrMike2000

The original was better in my opinion.

Better range of maps, better energy system, better graphical look and feel and use interface layout.

I really liked the improvements they made to the scripting capabilities for FFvTTR - I should do because I suggested a lot of them - but ultimately it was a PITA to work with and provided less ammunition for modding.

For playing, the sequel lost the ability to underpower and double overpower, and gained the AI use of tier 0 powers for squad members, which didn't compensate at all. In fact it somehow served to highlight how many fights are really just hit point bar decay races.

So yeah, make mine FF1!
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

Johnny Patches

its a toss up for me.. i play both.  ;)
:ff: has more mods & content yes..all my skopes i do are for :ff: just to test them..  :thumbup:
then convert to  :ffvstr: ^_^
but i think :ffvstr: has better game graphics
i really cant choose both versions serve a purpose for me :banghead:

House Quake

My preference remains FF1.  I rarely crank either up for play.. but I am making sure anything I create is for FF1 while verifying it can convert with out problems to FFvt3R.  But I release it in FF1 form only (with rare exception of both)

tommyboy

Since I tend to only play Mods, I play Mods on both games.
Both games have their pluses and their minuses, both from a players, and a Modders points of view.
Both games remain the only games where I can easily add any comic book character I want, and then play or just watch as they interact (well, just fight, really) with any other character or characters.
Due to the mods and other user created content, I use both games, and will probably continue to do so, though to be honest, I haven't fired either up for a couple of months, except to check if they run under windows 7 (they do, for me, anyway).

yell0w_lantern

Yellow Lantern smash!

JKCarrier

Straight out of the box,  :ff: is better in terms of story, gameplay, and visual style. I still fire it up every so often and re-play the campaign.
The user-made add-ons make  :ffvstr: better for modding, though, so that's what I play when I'm using custom characters, rumble room battles, and so on.

yell0w_lantern

From a meshing perspective, there's really almost no difference between the two except 3R displays the dynamic lights which can be cool characters like GL but comes up so infrequently that it's a moot point.
I thought the campaign was more interesting and challenging for the original FF. I like the cartoon look of 3R as well as the more realistic look of 3R. True, I would prefer the old energy system. I don't like the hero AI for either game, really.
Yellow Lantern smash!

AfghanAnt

Oddly enough I'm finding it easier to just skope things in  :ff: (though that might just be me) as for visually I do prefer  :ffvstr: but  :ff: just seems so much more stable (mod-wise) and I don't have random unexplained crashes.

steamteck

I pretty much only do custom characters and Rumble room so the superior AI done for FFvTTR  ( thanks M25  and all those who worked on it)  makes all the difference.  So I am pretty much exclusively FFvTTR these days. The only I really really miss from the first game is knockback for thrown objects. Having a car bounce off Batman's head is just wrong.

Out of the box I liked the first one better though.  For me its the mods that make the game my favorite though.

Robsoie

I strongly prefer FF campaign over the FFVTR one.
I prefer visually a lot more the classic lighting method that is in the FF engine over the FFVTR one.
Various gameplay concept are a lot better in FF than in FFVTR (energy, throwing object not bouncing off normal units but moving them too etc..)

If the new scripting , EZFX 6.0 and FFX 3.3 with its great M85 AI could be ported to the classic FF , i would never touch anymore FFVTR.

laughing paradox

Quote from: JKCarrier on September 22, 2009, 06:33:32 PM
Straight out of the box,  :ff: is better in terms of story, gameplay, and visual style. I still fire it up every so often and re-play the campaign.
The user-made add-ons make  :ffvstr: better for modding, though, so that's what I play when I'm using custom characters, rumble room battles, and so on.

I completely agree with this assessment. I prefer :ffvstr: for those reasons.

Lionheart

The M25 AI generator itself is the main reason I use FFvTTR now. In almost every other respect (e.g., graphics, gameplay mechanics, etc.) I much prefer the original game.

knuckles knick

Quote from: Lionheart on October 12, 2009, 02:12:11 PM
The M25 AI generator itself is the main reason I use FFvTTR now.

Exactly the same reeason here too, that reason alone makes all the flaws FFV3R has disappear for me.

Tomato

I usually run everything through  :ffvstr:, but that has less to do with the game itself ( :ff:=better, IMO) and more to do with the updated graphics engine and the convenience of the new Ctool. Plus, I've had issues with the graphics engine on FF in the past... I might look into the steam version though, is it any better on that end?

marhawkman

Hmm... I must say that I really hate the energy system in 3R. It'd be a lot better if it had 5 bars, or if it acually used some sort of MP instead.... I've never actually played the first and barely seen it.  How did it handle energy?
Other things I really hate:
character stats are set in stone.
Custom characters are insanely expensive compared to the built-ins.
certain damage types are MUCH better to have than others.  Fire is almost useless, and yet it's on one of the most important characters in the storyline.  Electricity is the most useful, but there's 1-ish characters that have it.
few of the built ins have good well-rounded stats
oh and lack of flying Melee.....

Blitzgott

I only play :ffvstr:, nowdays, but I agree with the majority that the first one is the better game. Better knockback mechanics and energy system. The campaign mode was more epic and fun, as well.

As custom content goes, I think both games are tied. Most meshes and FX from the first game can be converted to the second game, and FFX for :ffvstr: is now more complete than its :ff: counterpart. :ffvstr: also has very useful tools like EZ Script and M25's Custom AI. New content is mostly released to :ffvstr:, exclusively. Only in the amount of mods does :ffvstr: lose to :ff:, I believe.

Previsionary

Actually, in the modding circuit, the numbers are evening out if we take into account the ff1 mods that are no longer available. They're just over 40+ mods for both games now (including EZScript mods).

darkphoenixII

Gotta go with  :ff:. Mainly for many of the reasons that the others said (the energy system especially), and additionally the voice actors. What happened to Alchemiss's original actress? And Bullet? And even though I enjoyed the Entropy arc, WHY WAS SHE BREATHING SO MUCH?! That got annoying after a while.

And the cost of hypnosis was way out there. Points off for that.

- darkphoenix :msmjb
Dark Phoenix: You once told Jean Grey that the greatest joy a teacher has is to be surpassed by his own pupil. Enjoy!
Professor Xavier: In the battlefield of the mind, my will shall prevail!
DP: Do you really think your puny mind is a match for mine? The conceit of you humans! The arrogance!

SPIDER-BITE

I'd say  :ff: is the better one. I JUST got  :ffvstr: this week even though i've had  :ff: since 2002 and was eagerly awaiting the 2005 release of  :ffvstr: but i never saw it in stores (Australia) and eventually lost interest.
But playing it now, it's not really enjoyable, I'm just going through the motions. The energy system I do not like. The main thing though is the battles feel much less impactful and there is no real threat. There's no where near enough knock back (thrown objects, arcane bolt, projectiles in general) and what the hell inferno feels so impotent now. Not only that but attacks do less damage and use no energy (arcane bolt, tongues of flame). So basically fighting in most cases is 2 static people standing across from each other doing repetitive projectiles and seeing who will run out of health first. I'm actually really disappointed I had built it up in my head.

P.S. first post in like 4-5 years I think.

herodad1

the rumble room is the only reason why i like ff2 better.loved ff1 for many reasons already named but i love the rumble room.ive got the ffx mappack loaded and i noticed the ff1 maps have knockback.i wish ff2 had knockback.

Xenolith

I'd switch to FF if there was an M25 AI for it.

N-Lightner

I entered the Freedom Force through FFVTR and I have had zero exposure to the original. I am curious, though.
Where can I find a copy, people?

Previsionary

If you don't mind buying online, you can find it VERY CHEAP on amazon. If you're lucky, you can find it in stores in the bargain bin... I must reiterate the "if you're lucky" part.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Steam also as it, if you happen to use that service.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Kenn

I've never been one for rushing out and buying things, and I read enough of the reports of the various reasons why FF1 > FFvt3R (the stuff some of the others said up-thread) that I never bothered to pick-up FFvt3R.   Plus I was irked at the idea of having to buy a second disk drive if I went through and converted all my FF1 stuff (if the stuff would convert).

Every once in a while I consider finally breaking down and finally getting it because I see a bunch of cool new content that's FF2 only, but then there's the whole "if you're lucky" business of finding a copy and, honestly, it's too much work to find something I only kinda maybe sort of want.
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.