Super Street Fighter 4 to be Announced

Started by AfghanAnt, September 28, 2009, 06:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Quote from: TheMarvell on May 04, 2010, 11:13:38 PM
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 03, 2010, 07:55:18 PM
Quote from: TheMarvell on May 03, 2010, 05:25:06 AM
decided to take the plunge with that $10 Amazon credit offer on this game.

The nostalgia is coming back in a whole new way. Still love the characters and seems like a fun fighter once you get relatively decent at it. But holy crap am I rusty at the game (not that I was ever that good to begin with, lol).

Does anyone have any tips? I'm reading how to pull off some of these Ultras and special moves, and I'm really, really inconsistent with pulling them off. I've been in training mode for a while, tried out Ken, Fei Long, Ibuki, Cody, and Blanka. And a lot of these characters ultras (except maybe Blanka) have the same input (which is basically the regular command of doing a standard hadoken fireball, just twice in a row). But it seems like sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't (and yes, I made the settings have infinite ultra meter full). I'm scratching my head at this. I had the best of luck with Ken's, but there have been times where I did them 3 in a row, and then couldn't pull it off again for another 10 minutes. It's frustrating. What do you think I'm doing wrong?

basically I'm doing the QCF (quarter circle forward) motion twice, and at the end of the second one I'm hitting the left bumper (or trigger for kicks) which, according to the manual, all three types of punches mapped to one button. Do I need to hit this button twice after the second QCF?

This may sound like a stupid question, but did you remember to press two punches or kicks instead of just one?

Did you check your controls to see if the manual is correct? If it is, try modifying your controls. If that doesn't work, press both punches and kicks manually. Although, this might have to do with how you're performing the command, such as if you're sliding the controls, or how much time there is between using the controls and pressing the buttons.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

TheMarvell

I guess I'll keep practicing. On SF2, I never had much problem pulling off a hadoken, but here with the thumb stick I do. How fast does the command have to be? Is it supposed to be super quick or somewhat slow?

I just don't get how it only works some of the times, and not all.  :huh:

kkhohoho

Quote from: TheMarvell on May 07, 2010, 10:48:22 PM
I guess I'll keep practicing. On SF2, I never had much problem pulling off a hadoken, but here with the thumb stick I do. How fast does the command have to be? Is it supposed to be super quick or somewhat slow?

I just don't get how it only works some of the times, and not all.  :huh:

The command has to fairly quick, but not too quick, nor should it be somewhat slow. Although, I'm a fighting game enthusiast. What's easy for may not be easy for you.

TheMarvell

just played for probably 3 hours just practicing and playing online. I think I played about 12 games, and barely won ONE match. Ugh...

anyways, here's my issue. I'm finding I either just do a sweeping motion, a standard standing kick, or the shoryuken move (whether it's punch or kick, you get the idea). I don't get the science of the timing of this thing. I feel like the Xbox controller is freaking horrible for this game. I know hardcore players use a fightstick, but surely the controller should be just fine, right?

like I said, I've been able to pull off the move 3 or 4 times in a row, and then unable to do it again for 10 minutes. I'm doing the same motion, and as far as I can tell, the same timing, possibly milliseconds off.

I also can't get past any of the characters trials after about round 9...

lugaru

Quote from: bat1987 on May 03, 2010, 09:55:15 PM
I can pull of SF4 ultras easy on my comp using the standard 8 way pad.
But when I tried it on my friend`s xbox I was horrible, so in my case it was the 360 gamepad that caused trouble.

Yeah... some new computer games want me to buy an x-box controller when I already have top quality PC ones that work great with fighting games. Meh.

kkhohoho

TheMarvell

I watched that video and I'm doing exactly the same thing he's doing. I guess it could be just the controller itself getting old, but I don't think so. It's been fine in every other game except this one.

kkhohoho

Quote from: TheMarvell on May 09, 2010, 08:42:26 PM
I watched that video and I'm doing exactly the same thing he's doing. I guess it could be just the controller itself getting old, but I don't think so. It's been fine in every other game except this one.

In that case, all I can tell you at this point is to ask someone you know if they play fighting games and can you teach the basic controls firsthand.

TheMarvell

I figured out there's an option to have input commands show up on your screen from what you're doing. It's helped out tremendously by showing exactly where my button presses are going wrong.

Still, I'm not very consistent, even though I know what I'm doing wrong. The controller is pretty janky and it's hard to get it down consistently each time.

kkhohoho

Quote from: TheMarvell on May 13, 2010, 05:32:06 AM
I figured out there's an option to have input commands show up on your screen from what you're doing. It's helped out tremendously by showing exactly where my button presses are going wrong.

Still, I'm not very consistent, even though I know what I'm doing wrong. The controller is pretty janky and it's hard to get it down consistently each time.

I think what your problem is now, is memorization. You have to be able to remember where the keys are that your fingers are pressing, without resorting to looking down at the controller. Don't worry though. All you need now is practice. (And maybe a better controller...)

Velocity

If you don't mind spending money on a controller, the Mad Catz Fightpads are really nice. They feel like old school Sega Saturn controllers. Or, you could do what I did the day SF4 (not Super) came out and drop $150 on a TE Stick. But I'm also a huge fighting game fan, so it made sense for me to do so. Basically, if all depends on how much you want to get into it as far as fighting games go.

Velocity

I wrote this on another board, but I think if anyone here still plays Super and plays as Abel and is having problems, I figure I may as well post this:

Alright, first things first, I'm going to tell you what the abbreviations that I'm going to use are and what they mean.

f = Forward (used right before a move. ex: fMK)
c = crouching
cl = close
COD = Change of Direction
TT = Tornado Throw
FS = Falling Sky
WK = Wheel Kick
MS = Marseilles Roll
XX = Cancel
FADC = Focus Attack Dash Cancel
BnB = Bread and Butter combo

Alright, first and foremost, Abel is a guessing game character. He isn't a grappler, though he looks like one. What a guessing character means is that your best way for doing damage is to make your opponent guess wrong in every situation. Wrong guess? They eat a TT. Right guess, at best for you the situation resets and you're back to trying to get them to guess again.

Basically, for Abel your two main ways for getting in are MS or fMK XX Dash (he is the only one in the game that can cancel a normal into a dash). the fMK XX Dash is also a way to set up his TT and to go into his BnB [fMK XX Dash clHP {cancelled after the first hit} XX HP COD (finish]). The Dash xx clHP part of this combo is a one frame link, so you probably won't be hitting it at first. Just go into practice mode and work on it for a few minutes every day and eventually you'll get it.

Another thing fMK sets up is that on block, you can throw someone with your normal throw. The block stun on it is long enough that you can just throw them. Then, once they start realizing that's what you're doing, start TTing them. Why? Because TT (non EX) is throw immune. The EX TT is hit immune, so if someone is up close and repeatedly hitting you, you can use it to put them on the ground and start the guessing game again. Just be careful because the TT has a lot of recovery time and a wrong guess on your part will mean Abel is eating a huge combo (could even be an ulta).

MS is his other great way to move around the screen, but it's not very safe. You see, you can be thrown out of it on reaction. The EX one, though, is a great way out of the corner if your opponent if keeping the pressure on (just be careful of being thrown).

That's pretty much all I can think of right now. Abel is a very execution based character. Just keep working at it and you'll get good with him.

Velocity

So, is anyone here actually playing this on 360 or is it just me at this point? Because I would like some new competition since I have a tourney to play in in a few weeks.