Stargate Universe

Started by Ares_God_of_War, October 06, 2009, 04:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ares_God_of_War

So what do you think of the show so far?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

kkhohoho

It's interesting. Enough for me to watch the next episode. What are your thoughts on it? (Always a good starter for a thread like this.)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Ares_God_of_War

Its enough to get me to watch the next episode but none of the characters really stand out as anything I would like in the long term except for maybe the military guy who seems a little green.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, it has potential.  It's supposed to be a harder edged show, and the main scientist guy isn't even supposed to be either likable or good.  It's altogether a different show than the previous two, which may not prove to be a wise move, as people expected another family friendly, fun sci fi show.  (the opening scene in particular is not so family friendly)
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Blkcasanova247

Not that I mind but because it's "harder" edge and the way it was shot...the first episode feels similar to another fan favorite that just finished it run...Battlestar Galactica. IMO. ;)
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 06, 2009, 10:15:32 AM
Well, it has potential.  It's supposed to be a harder edged show, and the main scientist guy isn't even supposed to be either likable or good.  It's altogether a different show than the previous two, which may not prove to be a wise move, as people expected another family friendly, fun sci fi show.  (the opening scene in particular is not so family friendly)

Yeah, it's obvious that they are trying really hard to be like Battlestar Galactica.  It's got the same petty squabbling, morally ambigious characters, and shakey camera work.  I watched a chunk of the first episode, and I have absolutely no desire to watch any more.  I like my shows to be about heroes.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 06, 2009, 03:11:55 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 06, 2009, 10:15:32 AM
Well, it has potential.  It's supposed to be a harder edged show, and the main scientist guy isn't even supposed to be either likable or good.  It's altogether a different show than the previous two, which may not prove to be a wise move, as people expected another family friendly, fun sci fi show.  (the opening scene in particular is not so family friendly)

Yeah, it's obvious that they are trying really hard to be like Battlestar Galactica.  It's got the same petty squabbling, morally ambigious characters, and shakey camera work.  I watched a chunk of the first episode, and I have absolutely no desire to watch any more.  I like my shows to be about heroes.

I'm not going to state my personal feelings about BSG, but I will say that if my characters had to be heroes, I wouldn't have finished the BGS pilot. It doesn't matter much to me if a character is an outright hero or not, so long as they're interesting. That said, the majority of SGU's characters had better get some real development down the line, because there were only a few characters in the pilot that I felt could last a whole series.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Ares_God_of_War

I'm o.k. with Dr. Rush as a character but I dont think they should build the whole show around him.
The other choices kind of suck as well, you have standard issue gruff military guy in I believe its Colonel Young. Then you have anger management issue military guy. Then you have the 2nd in command who is sort of green (I like this guy though).
Then we have the list of civilians. we have a character that is basically fan service being the internet junkie boy genius fat kid. The hot teenage girl for his love inerest. and the know it all IOA person.

So hopefully these characters will get a little more interesting. Bonus points to anyone other than anger management issue military guy shooting Dr. Rush

GogglesPizanno

I dont really have any love for any of the characters at this point. Even with BSG and all the grey ambiguity there were clearly those characters that were more "good" and that you at least initially identify with. With SGU, I felt like everyone was kind of petty and squabbling and annoying.

And Dr. Rush's character reminded me a lot of Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.

GhostMachine

I watched most of it and thought it was okay, but frankly I only gave it a shot because some of the casting. Namely Lou Diamond Phillips, Ming Na, and Robert Carlyle. (Robert Carlyle is on my short list of actors I'd like to see play The Doctor (as in Who), by the way)

Have to watch another episode or two before I can make any judgements.

Tortuga

A college friend of mine is in this show.  His name is Patrick Gilmore (we did an English Literature presentation that has become somewhat legendary)...but I'm not sure what his character's name is.  He's been working his way into some bigger roles lately, so even though I can't watch it (don't have the channel), I hope the show does well.

Ares_God_of_War

Tort if you are a US resident you can watch it free at www.Hulu.com thats where I watched it :)

Tortuga

Trelau

Quote from: Tortuga on October 07, 2009, 08:15:21 PM
<-- Canadian
i know the frustration of being unable to watch hulu...actually i can't even watch the daily show or the colbert report on their website either.
OR...don't know if the admin consider this advice on piracy (if it's the case i'm sorry, feel free to remove this) but here we go:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/05/internet-anonymizer-web-surf-vpn-hulu-pandora-spotify/

it's simple, it's fast and it works. i aslo do it to watch bbc documentaries since i don't have access to the channel either.

GhostMachine

See if someone has uploaded it to Veoh.