News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Dragon Age Origins

Started by captmorgan72, October 21, 2009, 01:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

What do you guys think about this one? It's suppose to be Bioware's darkest game yet. It looks really good but I will wait until I read reviews and such.

Talavar

I'll probably pick it up for the 360, since my computer isn't good enough to run this any more.  From what I've seen it looks like a relatively undiluted RPG, something that's been thin on the ground for the last couple of years.   

Trelau

It looks good, and...long. in the good way.
i've watch some making off video, and the architectural design is really interesting, plus the background story is very consistent. the design of the location actually depends on it's history (example: you have a base middle-age architecture, and above that a layer of more orient looking batiment, wich dates from the invasion of the nearby country)
the level of dedication of the concept team makes me very confident of the universe of the game.
now for the gameplay, we'll have to wait...

By the way, you can download their character creator on their website, it's easy and gives a good idea of what you can do whith your character (you can see what skills are available to what race/class, and the caracteristic requirement for the other skills)

So i guess what's i'm saying is that it looks like a very solid Action/RPG game, and i'll definitely pick it up

UnfluffyBunny

this game was in development for years @_@ they started making this just before they handed off NWN2

Lord Elcorion

yes but those years of development have led to a product that looks exceptionally well done. the spell interactions are something new to fantasy rpgs ((fireballs melting ice walls and setting grease slicks on fire? woah!)) and the way the charecters interact during combat give a much higher level of realism than NWN or NWN2 ever had with the 'circle, swing, duck, recoil' setup. you can actually impale your foes in DAO and they react properly, not just a generic pain animation. the orge thing being able to pick you up and fling in into next tuesday is really awsome as well.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/lordelcorion/elcorionbattlearmor.gif[/img]"By the Lords of the Arcane!"[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/lordelcorion/nanoElcorion.gif[/img]
thanks to everyone who've made me stuff, or included my avatar in something.

TheMarvell

I'm on the fence for this game. I love, loooooove Bioware. They're the reason why I own a 360 (Mass Effect), and KotOR still remains to this day as one of my all time favorite games, ever. But from what I've seen of this game, I have yet to be interested. When it was first announced, I was really excited. But now, every time I watch a gameplay movie or footage, I don't know. I think the whole rock music / marilyn manson playing in the background with blood splattering kinda turns me off. To me, it doesn't seem as atmospheric as Bioware's other games.

It's Bioware, though, and I'm sure it will get high praise. But it hasn't hooked me like all of their other games have.

Uncle Yuan

Looks likes there's a turn-based flash game based on DAO: http://www.dragonagejourneys.com/

I haven't played it yet, but I'm about to give it a try.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

captmorgan72

Great fine Uncle Yuan. I have been playing this for an hour now and liking it.

Glitch Girl

I just beat it with a rogue (the online flash one that is).  It's quite fun, I hope the promised Chapter 2 isn't long in coming.  Gonna try it with a mage and fighter next.  
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

captmorgan72

I am reading from different forums how people are complaining that the graphics look dated and the fighting mechanics look to dull. I found this game play video and it squashes those complaints. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzxXtQpNkIU&feature=related

Ares_God_of_War

I already pre-ordered the collecters version for the PC. There is something about the sword and sorcery type games I just seem to like better on PC than consoles.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

captmorgan72

I agree Ares, but my pc is very dated. My 360 will handle this game much better.

Ares_God_of_War

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm curious about content.  I don't want a game with nudity, lots of language and lots of sex and stuff.  Easily avoided optional content I can deal with (Like Mass Effect) but I'm concerned this goes beyond that, so please give me a report on this.  I would greatly appreciate it.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Ares_God_of_War

So far the nudity seems about on par with what Neverwinter Nights had if you took off all the character's armor. I started as a human noble and played for quite a bit. I also haven't noticed any big swear words or even made up ones like Battlestar Galactica. The only thing I can say that may bother people is violence so far. blood splatters and pools and on the boss fight I foought you perform a coup de grace on the boss. Again all this is from the human noble point. The other race/class origins may have some salty language but nidity I dont think you will see toplesssness or frontal or anything like that.

Talavar

You think a major American games publisher is going to deliberately put a game out with nudity?  It'd be faster for them just to lay down behind Joe Lieberman's back tire when his car is in reverse.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteYou think a major American games publisher is going to deliberately put a game out with nudity?

That's what it says on their rating.  Also, Mass Effect by the same people apparently has some, if limited, in the optional--and easily avoided--sex scenes.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Ares_God_of_War

I have yet to see anything with any actual nudity yet. The "love scene" has less flesh than the mass effect one but more positions, lol. Basically if you make any character and take off their clothes thats the amount of nudity you get in that part of it. Although with the grim moral choices you need to make I am thinking maybe there is a brothel somewhere or something. Also the mass effect scene was about at tame as alot of the vogue and other fashion magazines. The models are nude but all the bits are covered by arms or something else. Basically you get some alien side boob and maybe a butt? the whole thing lasted like 15 seconds.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 05, 2009, 01:09:56 AM
QuoteYou think a major American games publisher is going to deliberately put a game out with nudity?

That's what it says on their rating.  Also, Mass Effect by the same people apparently has some, if limited, in the optional--and easily avoided--sex scenes.

When I say nudity I mean what movies would consider nudity - not shoulder, midriff or back, which is what was in Mass Effect.

detourne_me

It's still ridiculous in my mind that nudity and swearing are taboo, but lopping off somebody's head? Oh, go right ahead, that's ok!

Midnight

Quote from: Talavar on November 05, 2009, 04:25:21 AM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 05, 2009, 01:09:56 AM

When I say nudity I mean what movies would consider nudity - not shoulder, midriff or back, which is what was in Mass Effect.

Desire Demons run around with metal pastie things and low-low-low cut leggings; a little bit worse than something you'd see in the club or at the pub on Halloween. They're not terribly common though and since the Desire Demons are blue, and the lighting is moody, most people won't notice in combat. I've only run into two cutscenes where their boob-age is very prominent. Both of these scenes, to my memory, were entirely optional but it's rather easy to stumble into them.

To be quite honest I didn't notice any off-color language, but I don't notice those things either.

*stabs detourne_me with a barrel* VIOLEEEENCCEEEE.

On another note; has anyone done The Circle Mage Tower portion of the game with Shale? I'm running into a pathfinding issue in Shale's Nightmare that is basically making it impossible for me to progress any further and I'm a bit miffed.

Midnight

Fun fact; even though the pathfinding is borked when you try mouse navigation, WASD works fine for Shale's Nightmare.

Ares_God_of_War

no I went to Redcliffe first - man that sucked - I recomend going circle before redcliff unless you want to make a real hard choice.

TheMarvell

so for those of you who are playing it, how is the story? I've always had an interest in Bioware's games ever since KotOR and that's mainly due to how well they handle the stories of their games. From what I've seen and read of this game, at least in reviews, is that they say the story is good but then either barely describe it or make it sound like every other "dark fantasy" cliche. So I'm curious, how well does it stack up agains Bioware's past games, specifically KotOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect? (I've never played any of the Baldur's Gate games, and Neverwinter Nights' story was hardly even there).

electro

Spoiler
Only played about 6 hours so far with a Drawf commoner - My sister is a whore & everyone in town seems to have there eye on her - I tried threw the dialog to kill everyone who talked bad about her but, wasn't able to because she didn't seem to have much of a problem with her job LoL - The best part about the game is the dialog & cutsceens which show your characters with very high quality personalities & shows all the details of your characters like there armor, wepaons etc.... I hate games where they don't show your characters uniforms & weapons in the cutsceens - Also the dialog really shapes the events that happen around you which is very fun - So this game suceeds in all that - My only grips are that the world textures are a bit weak - Like sometimes the trees look like cardboard cutouts or just a smudge but, with a game this large you can sometimes understand that lack of graphical impact
:blink:

Ares_God_of_War

I went a different origin than electro and it is much different from that. So it seems depeding on which origin you choose you get different options.

Uncle Yuan

Anyone playing on a console?  If so, any thoughts or reflections?
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

captmorgan72

I'm playing it on the 360 and absolutely love it. I borrowed my friend's pc copy just to see how my rig would handle it. I made the right choice getting it for my 360. Sure, on the pc I can get crisper graphics at higher settings but the frame rates take a dive. On my 360, everything seems to be balanced very well. Graphics look decent and frame rates are smooth. Now if I had a really nice rig, well then it would be a different story.

detourne_me

Steams got it.... but i haven't beaten Batman yet... should i get it now or wait a bit.... ugh!

Podmark

A new Bioware RPG? Must investigate...
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page