News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Dragon Age Origins

Started by captmorgan72, October 21, 2009, 01:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtnall6

How open world is this game...Oblivion style free roam or more like KOTOR?
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Ares_God_of_War

I would say more like KotoR - to start you go from point A to B to C to D then from D you can sort of choose which order you do things in and do optional things but there are 4 things you have to do to progress then its back to the path ahead of you.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Jakew

Is this like a medieval / sword n sorcery version of Mass Effect?

Ares_God_of_War

no its alot closer to Balder's Gate, NVN and KotOR than Mass Effect
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

jtharris86

Yes! Very great game.

I need help, Im addicted....  :(

Uncle Yuan

Sigh - it's in my Amazon in-box.  Will be in my mail box soon.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Ares_God_of_War

I have already beaten it once as a Human noble. I tell you one thing it was hard as hell to be the good guy which was kind of cool.

TheMarvell

how is it in comparison to Bioware's other recent RPGs KotOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect? Is the story just as good?

Ares_God_of_War

never played Jade Empite and KotOR has been so long its kind of a haze. I believe it has an engaging story but I would liken it more to Balder's Gate and Neverwinter Nights more than Mass Effect. Mass Effect has a feel all unto itself. Like Mass Effect your actions can shape what happens during the game as far as your party and others but I think this game lets those descisions play out moreso in certain areas. Also unlike the KotOR or Mass Effect there isnt a Light/Dark or Paragon/Renegade meter.

Talavar

Just a note in regards to the "adult content;" the desire demons are basically topless, but the sex scenes are tamer than Mass Effect - apparently in Medieval fantasy worlds, people have sex with their underwear on.

detourne_me

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on November 15, 2009, 07:33:47 AM
Also unlike the KotOR or Mass Effect there isnt a Light/Dark or Paragon/Renegade meter.

How do the friend relationship meters affect the game? I haven't played enough to kow, but I think Morrigan hates me.

The_Baroness

I just started and right after joining my party i managed to get aproval from both ali and morrigan... and then i used a couple of gifts with her... mmm seems i will have to spend lots of money in gifts to keep everybody somewhat happy around me...

the game is simply awesome

Talavar

Quote from: detourne_me on November 17, 2009, 08:19:23 AM
Also unlike the KotOR or Mass Effect there isnt a Light/Dark or Paragon/Renegade meter.

How do the friend relationship meters affect the game? I haven't played enough to kow, but I think Morrigan hates me.

Relationship meters reflect your ability to initiate romances with certain characters, as well as what decision a character will make (generally to stay or leave) at key points in the game.

Ares_God_of_War

Quote from: Talavar on November 17, 2009, 04:42:29 PM
Quote from: detourne_me on November 17, 2009, 08:19:23 AM

Relationship meters reflect your ability to initiate romances with certain characters, as well as what decision a character will make (generally to stay or leave) at key points in the game.

Yes and no to this. There are certain events that you do that will cause people to leave or attack you even if they practically love you. Also some of these events will happen even if you decided to leave these people at camp knowing their reactions. But really the main goals for rep is either romance or the bonus the NPC will gain from high relationship values. Also if you are curious what a specific character is to you open up your character page in party or in camp and cycle through the characters and under their paper doll is a meter by their xp meter and it will say the rating and their general feeling. Its a good way to tell if you are in the friend zone with a romance PC when you have a high value with them.

Ares_God_of_War

Quote from: The_Baroness on November 17, 2009, 09:52:05 AM
I just started and right after joining my party i managed to get aproval from both ali and morrigan... and then i used a couple of gifts with her... mmm seems i will have to spend lots of money in gifts to keep everybody somewhat happy around me...

the game is simply awesome

If you want to romance Leilana watch giving her gifts. There is a bug that if she rises too high too fast you may miss some important romance convos. Also Leilana and Zevran are the only homosexual romance options. Morgiana and Alistair will not romance PCs of the same sex.

bredon7777

Getting really tired of finding chests I cant open. I know Im a mage and not a theif, but still...
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

Trelau

uh? i just started my first game, and i picked mage too. should i be worried taht i'll miss some loot too? should i invest points in lock picking?

Ares_God_of_War

I dont find anything good in chests, basically vendor trash weapons. if you dont want to be a rogue take leilana or zevran

detourne_me

just wanted to post a pic of my two tanks, Sten and Toben (me, the dwarf)
I love the DLC armor sets :)
Spoiler

steamteck

I loved KOTOR . One of my four favorites ever ( Freedom Force and FFVTTR, Morrowind, Oblivion and KOTOR) but found Jade empire just OK. I didn't like the combat as much as KOTOR's and the party management and decreased NPC party interaction and control really bugged me. I also found the enemies were less interesting and so seemed more repetitive. If I loved KOTOR but barely finished Jade Empire once, How  do you think I'll like this  one?

detourne_me

this game is much more like KOTOR than Jade Empire. It's more like KOTOR than Mass Effect even.
To me, it's like Freedom Force meets KOTOR because you can play it like a top-down strategy game.

Uncle Yuan

I just got my copy from Amazon, and I won't really get a chance to play it for a while.  I am on call today, then I will pick up the Boy, who will be staying for over a week.

Curses!
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

GogglesPizanno

This is one of those games that feels like a reverse of the current trend. A PC game ported to console. Ive been playing on my 360, and while they did a really good job with the interface, its complicated enough that I can see where the PC version might make navigating the interface and camera more intuitive (especially during heavy combat).

Early on, the generic fantasy elements were doing nothing for me. I realize that all these fantasy stories pull from the same basic Tolkien, D&D kind of pool -- and I can enjoy cliche' if you put your own spin on it, but there was just so little that felt original to me that i was a bit disinterested early on. As its gone on, Ive gotten a lot more into it, and the sheer amount of story options and missions is nice, but as a whole i think I liked both Mass Effect and Oblivion better. Mass Effect pulled me into the world and story a lot more, and Oblivion's free form openness overcame a lot of its story/gameplay flaws (for me anyway). Dragon Age is fun, and well worth the money if you like the Fantasy stuff, but it just feels slightly less engrossing than other games to me.

Tortuga

Best Buy Canada dropped the XBOX 360 DA:O price to $39 for this week.  I'm tempted to pick it up but I've bought way too many games in the last month and a half.

Podmark

Quote from: Tortuga on November 28, 2009, 12:15:44 AM
Best Buy Canada dropped the XBOX 360 DA:O price to $39 for this week.

Interesting....
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

thalaw2

I talked about this game briefly with colleagues yesterday and well....
Spoiler
can you really...bag the wife?
革命不会被电视转播

Talavar

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on November 27, 2009, 09:58:42 PM
This is one of those games that feels like a reverse of the current trend. A PC game ported to console. Ive been playing on my 360, and while they did a really good job with the interface, its complicated enough that I can see where the PC version might make navigating the interface and camera more intuitive (especially during heavy combat).

Early on, the generic fantasy elements were doing nothing for me. I realize that all these fantasy stories pull from the same basic Tolkien, D&D kind of pool -- and I can enjoy cliche' if you put your own spin on it, but there was just so little that felt original to me that i was a bit disinterested early on. As its gone on, Ive gotten a lot more into it, and the sheer amount of story options and missions is nice, but as a whole i think I liked both Mass Effect and Oblivion better. Mass Effect pulled me into the world and story a lot more, and Oblivion's free form openness overcame a lot of its story/gameplay flaws (for me anyway). Dragon Age is fun, and well worth the money if you like the Fantasy stuff, but it just feels slightly less engrossing than other games to me.

I don't know, I think they put a pretty good spin by 'dirtying up' the traditional fantasy cliches in my opinion - I mean, the elves & dwarves in this are fairly miserable actually, just like humans  ;)

I liked the setting of Mass Effect better, but the gameplay & game mechanics worse.
Quote from: thalaw2 on November 28, 2009, 01:16:26 AM
I talked about this game briefly with colleagues yesterday and well....
Spoiler
can you really...bag the wife?

If by wife you mean queen, then yes ...
Spoiler
providing you play as a male human noble.

Tortuga

Just needing some clarification here...is there any multiplayer or co-op in DA:O?

jtharris86

Quote from: Tortuga on November 28, 2009, 11:22:29 PM
Just needing some clarification here...is there any multiplayer or co-op in DA:O?

Nope

Trelau

OK, i've finished the story for the first of many, many times but the the time being i have interest in something else: mods.
i've played a little with Dragon Age tool set and i'm amazed by it's potential (since it's essentially what the level/game designer used you can do almost anything you want, if you know a little programing) and so i wonder: does any of you have already found a "must-have" mod? or heard of one in developpment? there's rumor that some part of the NeverWinterNight modding community are working on adapting there work for Dragon Age, any idea if there's a website/forum where i could follow there work?
anyway, if i find one i'll let you know