News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Dragon Age Origins

Started by captmorgan72, October 21, 2009, 01:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detourne_me

Well, just like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, there is http://www.dragonagenexus.com/ too!
I'm still hesitant on mods for these games,  I've got Steam versions of all 3, but haven't ventured into modding them yet. there are some issues with compatability on the mods (i tried some basic Fallout mods, but they couldn't work with the steam version)

captmorgan72

Oh, this just sucks. My 360 copy is cracked and will not play now. No idea how it got cracked, never dropped it. This is my favorite game though and I have to replace it. I hope I can find some used copies at GameStop.

Ares_God_of_War

So on the Dragonage forums people have been crying about the download content and such due to length and etc. What are your opinions of it so far? I think the one you get free, Stone Prisoner, is a little bit hard to swallow for the money you would have to pay for it if you get it used unless there are more things I am missing but I understand that is also due to voice acting and the new character, etc. The Warden's Keep one I paid for and I am happy with what I got and price. I am curious on the new $5 one.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Talavar

If I'd had to pay for the Stone Prisoner I'd be a little cheesed off - despite it including 2 new areas, and a new companion, its point cost is pretty steep - but I didn't, so I don't care.  People buying the game used can go kick stones.

Warden's Keep was a more reasonable price, and I didn't feel ripped off by the amount of added gameplay.  I'll probably get the new one as well, since it's only going to be 5 bucks, but I'll have to wait until after I've played it to decide if its worth the money.

Tortuga

Just picked DA:O for the Xbox today.  The $40 price tag made me cave.

NeoDarke

Quote from: Tortuga on December 29, 2009, 01:45:27 AM
Just picked DA:O for the Xbox today.  The $40 price tag made me cave.
I did that for the PC. Just finished the Dwarven city part a few days ago, would have been sooner, but I had just gotten a new 360 and find myself currently trying to rebuild all I lost.

Out of all the saves I lost, I regret Too Human the most.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

captmorgan72

Speaking of Too Human, when is a sequel coming out? Loved that game.

Podmark

Quote from: captmorgan72 on December 30, 2009, 12:20:59 AM

Too Human was made in my home town. The game didn't do as well as hoped and I never heard if they been given the go ahead for a sequel.

Also I got the 360 version of Dragon Age for Christmas. Thanks to Tortuga for posting about the Best Buy sale a while back, as it prompted me to strongly hint what I wanted for Christmas. Really enjoying the game, but I'm not too surprised as Baldur's Gate 2, KOTOR, and Mass Effect are counted among my all time favorite games. Wasn't huge on Neverwinter Nights though.

Playing through as a man human noble warrior right now. I've only ever played a BioWare game through once, but there's a good chance I'll play Dragon through again because I want to see the different origins.
Was a little worried I made a mistake getting the 360 version instead of the PC version, but so far I'm enjoying it enough and all the controls seem pretty good so I think I'll be ok.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tortuga

Quote from: Podmark on December 30, 2009, 02:37:18 AM
Playing through as a man human noble warrior right now. I've only ever played a BioWare game through once, but there's a good chance I'll play Dragon through again because I want to see the different origins.

I've made three different characters just to see the origin stories.  I think I've settled on a human noble warrior for now too.

The_Baroness

finished as female city elf rogue and as female human noble warrior (shield)... and the difference in origins really affect your perception of the world...

currently playing as a male dwarf noble... and... thats a really great origin...

lugaru

Quote from: detourne_me on November 30, 2009, 07:27:33 AM
Well, just like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, there is http://www.dragonagenexus.com/ too!
I'm still hesitant on mods for these games,  I've got Steam versions of all 3, but haven't ventured into modding them yet. there are some issues with compatability on the mods (i tried some basic Fallout mods, but they couldn't work with the steam version)

You HAVE to play fallout 3 with mods, it really improves the game. I recommend:

FWE: major balance overhaul that compiles multiple mods (including one of mine) making the game ingo a deep and highly modifiable first person shooter. Seriosly the game turns into a great action game with it.
FOOK2: like 100+ weapons and armor.
My radio mods: Look for Radio Blues and Invasion Radio, they rock!

My copy is a STEAM copy and you can totaly play the game with mods without even loading GFW (you need it closed for the good mods) and I also own all the DLC, they work great too if you move 'em to another folder.

lugaru

As far as Dragon Age:

Have not picked up any DLC, most if it looks a bit unbalancing but I might pick up some adventures.

Loving the game, I'm playing with a dual wielding warrior. I wanted him to use dual axes but not really an option with the good swords and daggers. As for my "path" he is a heroic thug... in other words he kills and intimidates most "non good" characters and takes rewards but he will do some freebie rescues here and there. My team are the Bard, the Shapeshifter and the Qunari dude, although sometimes I'll use the other characters.

Ares_God_of_War

New Expansion is coming in March and the new DLC has been delayed. New XP sounds interesting. You can import your character or start a new Warden from Orlais.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Talavar

Any word on the when that new DLC has been delayed to?

GogglesPizanno

The new expansion is priced at $40 for ~15 hours of gameplay.
That seems way above my price point for purchasing it. especially after I got 20+ hours from each of the GTA addons for $20.

Ares_God_of_War

no word on Return to Ostagar yet and that thread derailed and was closed.

I am kind of sad that only one companion from Origins is returning for Awakenings. It will probably be someone I dislike but I am hoping for Morigan or Leilana. I wish it was both.

Mr. Hamrick

defintiely hoping for Leliana.  LOL!

Ares_God_of_War

here is an IGN interview. It isnt too spoilery but just in case be warned. The main things I got were that as said by the person interviewed "This will be our biggest expansion" so the 15 hours of gameplay may be a rumor. You can use a tome to respec your character. Alot of your companions make cameos and if you import your choises made during Origins including and especially how you handled the Archdemon will be touched upon. Also it said that if you read David Gaiders 2nd book that you will get some background info on the big bad in this game but it wont spoil the game. Also the transfer from DA:O to DA:A can be done at any time but it is a one way transfer. Also thinking about it I bet the npc is the damn dog, lol.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1058713p1.html

BWPS

Sweet! thrall-abilities is awesome!

I guess I should mention that's what I named the dog but I'm sure the censor is going to butcher it anyway.

Higher level cap I hope means more spells otherwise what's the point? Either way I love this game so much that I'll gladly pay $40 for a good sized expansion pack.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Ares_God_of_War

yes, more spells and skills are in this game. That is also the reason for the respec. It also sounds like there are more specializations you can learn. Also they said that they think the level will end up at mid to high 30s by the end so if you are level capped thats potentially another 15 levels worth of play.

NeoDarke

Quote from: Podmark on December 30, 2009, 02:37:18 AM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on December 30, 2009, 12:20:59 AM

Too Human was made in my home town. The game didn't do as well as hoped and I never heard if they been given the go ahead for a sequel.

Also I got the 360 version of Dragon Age for Christmas. Thanks to Tortuga for posting about the Best Buy sale a while back, as it prompted me to strongly hint what I wanted for Christmas. Really enjoying the game, but I'm not too surprised as Baldur's Gate 2, KOTOR, and Mass Effect are counted among my all time favorite games. Wasn't huge on Neverwinter Nights though.

Was a little worried I made a mistake getting the 360 version instead of the PC version, but so far I'm enjoying it enough and all the controls seem pretty good so I think I'll be ok.

I believe Too Human 2 got the greenlight, though all we've heard is the name. Too Human: Rise of the Giants. There's a poster as well.

I think I'm getting close to the end with my Human Noble Warrior, next I may go Human Mage.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

Podmark

Quote from: NeoDarke on January 07, 2010, 04:13:44 AM

I believe Too Human 2 got the greenlight, though all we've heard is the name. Too Human: Rise of the Giants. There's a poster as well.

Cool, I'm surprised I never heard that.

Expansion interests me greatly, but if it is only 15 hours that's disappointing.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Where is the 15 hours coming from, by the way?  Nothing even semi-official I've read about the expansion has quoted a number - it seems to have been plucked from the ether.

Ares_God_of_War

People are just assuming that and are running with it. I think basically someone stated that they thought the expansions was like a cetain % of the original game and from there it somehow became that it was 15 hours. All I know is that they said this would be the largest XP and that the goal is to have about a 2 year total XP and DLC lifetime on DA:O

Tortuga

I have no problem with 15 hours.  When games are 50+ hours I tend to never finish them.  DA seems to have a ton of replayability, so if that means 15 hours to do the story once then that means I'd actually get around to doing a second playthrough.

GogglesPizanno

Yeah the 15 hour thing I read may just be speculation...

But regardless, at this point unless the cost comes down, or there emerges some amazing detail about the expansions that I just have to have, I'll probably just wait for the inevitable GOTY edition that includes a bunch of the expansions (ala Fallout) that I can get on physical media (Im still a bit of a luddite when it comes to downloadable content -- especially with my crappy internet connection).

While I liked Dragon Age, I didn't completely go head over heels in love the way others have. I'm way more excited about giving Bioware my money for Mass Effect 2.

kkhohoho

I have a question about this game, particularly the system requirements. I don't have an PS3 or a 360, which leaves the PC as the only possibility, though I'm not sure if it would work on my specs. I have an XP and a Vista Laptop. If I put the game at the very lowest of it's capabilities, would I be able to run it, and on which computers? I'd be fine with it not working perfectly, but it would need to at least run decently.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Trelau

well, i hope it helps:
QuoteWindows XP Minimum Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
        * AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
        * RAM: 1GB or more
        * Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
        * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
        * DVD ROM (Physical copy)
        * 20GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
        * AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater
        * RAM: 1.5GB or more
        * Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
        * NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
        * 20GB HD space

Recommended Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
        * RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2GB (XP)
        * Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
        * NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
        * 20GB HD space [quote/]

Tortuga

Ok, there was a battle in which I got whalloped over and over again until I turned down the difficulty.  So here's my question...how do I assign attacks/moves/etc for my party to carry out during a fight?  (beyond the "tactics" choices, etc.)

detourne_me

you can only issue 1 command per character. so in that respect the game is more akin to Freedom Force than KOTOR.
Seriously though, the tactics are great. once you get a hang of setting up the AI you never really need to micromanage a fight.