News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Dragon Age Origins

Started by captmorgan72, October 21, 2009, 01:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ares_God_of_War

Tactics work for me like 90% of the time. I really only have to micromanage the healer every once in a while
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

lugaru

I'm the other way around, I enjoyed setting up tactics at first but fights are hard enough that I find myself micromanaging a lot, but that is because I use a few area attacks and stuff. I dunno, I get more out of my fights that way too.

NeoDarke

Well, beat the game with my Human Noble Warrior. Next up, Human Mage.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

Tortuga

Finished last night as Human Warrior (focused on Shield and Two-handed weapons).  I was the goody-two-shoes all the way through.

Today, I started an Elf Mage.  Behaviour-wise I'm doing everything I can to be selfish and quite a prick.  It's not always easy, but it's funny to hear the reactions from the NPCs when you say something tremendously rude.

If I'm still up for it, my third playthrough will be a noble dwarf rogue.

Mr. Hamrick

I am having some issues setting up additional tactics.   Any suggestions?

Trying to set up my main character (human noble rogue) as a striker.  Leliana as a range (and that other rogue, the elf assassin, as a secondary range) then one of two characters as my tank.  (though there are four characters in all who seem tailor made for that role) and then my fourth is my mage.  I am about 3/4 the way through the game and what I am doing seems to be fine so far with the exception of a few fights.

Spoiler
anyone know a good strategy on how to beat the witch dragoness that is Morganna's mother.  I think her name is Flemming or Flemmish

have a second game where my main character is going to be a mage and then my ranged attack girl, my tank, and not sure what else.

suggestions for tactics?

Tortuga

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 01, 2010, 11:21:28 PM
Spoiler
anyone know a good strategy on how to beat the witch dragoness that is Morganna's mother.  I think her name is Flemming or Flemmish

I couldn't have won that fight without Shale.

GogglesPizanno

I did it through just luck and sheer brute force. I managed to find a timing sweet spot, where I could attack and run while it was focused on my other characters (mostly power house characters that could take a beating).

Ares_God_of_War

Spoiler
I had a warrior and alistair and I used sheild slam or whatever it was each time the dragon flemeth grabbed a character and that worked well for me
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

BWPS

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 01, 2010, 11:21:28 PM
I am having some issues setting up additional tactics.   Any suggestions?

Trying to set up my main character (human noble rogue) as a striker.  Leliana as a range (and that other rogue, the elf assassin, as a secondary range) then one of two characters as my tank.  (though there are four characters in all who seem tailor made for that role) and then my fourth is my mage.  I am about 3/4 the way through the game and what I am doing seems to be fine so far with the exception of a few fights.

Spoiler

have a second game where my main character is going to be a mage and then my ranged attack girl, my tank, and not sure what else.

suggestions for tactics?

My guy was an Arcane Warrior, and I really wasn't able to have everyone else stay alive. With AW's final power (where they turn all ghostly) and potions, it's pretty much just a matter of time until the big dragons go down.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Mr. Hamrick

hmph!

not sure really what kind of strategy to use then.  and well, i am not adept at setting up the tactic stuff.  :P

anyone want to add me on xbox live by the way? 

lugaru

I chickened out against THAT dragon but I beat the other one out of sheer luck...  it got stuck on a crack in the ground and my people just shot at it without any fear that it would run up and grab 'em.

I finished all 4 main quests and I guess I'm going into the endgame soon but I've gotten sidetracked by Champions Online. Still I think it is time I get back into Dragon Age and finish it.

Podmark

Honestly I haven't really cracked the whole strategy part of the game yet lol
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: lugaru on February 02, 2010, 04:35:34 AM
I chickened out against THAT dragon but I beat the other one out of sheer luck...  it got stuck on a crack in the ground and my people just shot at it without any fear that it would run up and grab 'em.

I finished all 4 main quests and I guess I'm going into the endgame soon but I've gotten sidetracked by Champions Online. Still I think it is time I get back into Dragon Age and finish it.

i am in a similar boat.  toward the last fourth of the game and sidetracked.

could use more friends who i could co-op with if i got back on xbox live gold for a month.

Tortuga

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 02, 2010, 05:50:25 AM
could use more friends who i could co-op with if i got back on xbox live gold for a month.

Can't co-op in Dragon Age, sadly.  It's too bad -- the combat exploration part would be great for co-op but the story would get a little fragmented I guess.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Tortuga on February 02, 2010, 11:23:32 PM
Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 02, 2010, 05:50:25 AM

Can't co-op in Dragon Age, sadly.  It's too bad -- the combat exploration part would be great for co-op but the story would get a little fragmented I guess.

true but people can still feel free to add me who are posting on this thread. :P

Talavar

Dragon Strategy:

Spoiler
With Flemeth, stay at range as much as possible, except for a character to tank the dragon.  She won't move around, so only the tank is vulnerable to being picked up and savaged.  Put your characters in as much fire resistance gear as possible (the dragonskin and dragonbone armours help a lot here).  Using Wynn is great, because she can heal/resurrect the tank as needed.  For spells, don't bother with fire.  Lightning and cold seem to work well for elemental damage.  I can't remember if Mana Clash, the mage's win button, works on dragons.

lugaru

Well I'm moving forward again, the 4 main quests are done and finished the "landsmeet" one. Next up: the final battle.

Tortuga

I was halfway through my second playthrough (as an elf mage) when I got distracted by Mass Effect.  After a year of owning the game, I'm finally giving it the attention it deserves, so that eventually, I can enjoy ME2.

Spoiler
I'm wondering...on this playthrough I'm completing the major missions in an evil manner...or at least opposite of my first playthough.  So, I was planning on siding with the Mages and the Werewolves.  Will that mean I won't have the Templars and Elves at the final battle?

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Tortuga on February 09, 2010, 05:55:46 AM
I was halfway through my second playthrough (as an elf mage) when I got distracted by Mass Effect.  After a year of owning the game, I'm finally giving it the attention it deserves, so that eventually, I can enjoy ME2.

Spoiler
I'm wondering...on this playthrough I'm completing the major missions in an evil manner...or at least opposite of my first playthough.  So, I was planning on siding with the Mages and the Werewolves.  Will that mean I won't have the Templars and Elves at the final battle?

I'm still on the first playthrough.  Well, sorta.  I started two other playthroughs that I am keeping and a few other that I have not kept.  Just so I could get the achievements for all the origin stories.  I'm taking a break from it though as I have loaned it to a friend.

Spoiler
Yes and No.  You either get the mages or the templars.  However, I have heard (though yet to see) that you can get the Elves and The Werewolves in the final battle if you play your cards right.  I sided with the elves and the mages on the playthrough I am doing.  I have two other games started.  One of them, I plan on siding with the Templars but for the most part, I don't care for the Templars all that much.  Want to try what I have heard about the way to get the Werewolves and The Elves though on my next playthrough.  I think you can get the Golems and The Dwarves both too.

I need to get in on this whole Mass Effect thing.  I had not heard of the game till the hype for part 2 started.

Talavar

Anyone played 'Return to Ostagar' yet?

Uncle Yuan

Has anybody else gotten the "Marta" and Pa Kent random encounter?  I LOL'd.  Still waiting to see what I can do with my chunk of meteoric iron . . .
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

BWPS

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on February 22, 2010, 12:58:35 PM
Has anybody else gotten the "Marta" and Pa Kent random encounter?  I LOL'd.  Still waiting to see what I can do with my chunk of meteoric iron . . .
No, and I've run back and forth trying to get it.
The meteor is for
Spoiler
getting the best sword in the game by taking it to the Warden's Keep.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Uncle Yuan

That was my plan, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Mr. Hamrick

lugaru

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 23, 2010, 12:36:33 AM
Quote from: Talavar on February 09, 2010, 02:43:35 PM

Yep, I have.

Is it any good? After the patch I ran into the hook and it looked cool but so far the DLC has not felt absolutely essential to me except for maybe the first (stone prisoner) but most peoples games came with it.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: lugaru on February 23, 2010, 04:51:25 AM
Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 23, 2010, 12:36:33 AM
Quote from: Talavar on February 09, 2010, 02:43:35 PM

Yep, I have.

Is it any good? After the patch I ran into the hook and it looked cool but so far the DLC has not felt absolutely essential to me except for maybe the first (stone prisoner) but most peoples games came with it.

Stone Prisoner and Warden's Keep are both great to have. 

Warden's Keep has a storage chest that is great for upper level items that you get early in the game, items that you have which you don't have the characters to apply them to yet (like gifts for example) and generally just to store the surplus of items you will inevitable have that you might be tempted to sell but might regret later. 

Plus, you get
Spoiler
One of the best swords in the game.  Thanks to the little meteorite cut scene and an additional specialization class option though it really isn't all that useful given the limited amount of skill points to use when you level up, in my opinion.

Return to Ostegar has a good and armor set.  It's something more for the middle of the game than later in the game unless you are playing as a fighter.  I guess it could be useful if you do not have the Red Dragon armor DLC (which I do).  There is also a really interesting plot point of the game involving the former king.  As I understand it, it varies based on who you have in your party.  I have heard (not not seen it confirmed) that the forthcoming expansion might utilize information based on a decision you make in it.  It's a nice little add-on for fighter classes more than anything unless you were not lucky enough to get the Red Dragon Armor.  It's rather short, too.

The Red Dragon Armor DLC is really great but you will not be able to use it till the second half of the game more than likely because of the strength rating.

lugaru

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 23, 2010, 12:13:41 PM

The Red Dragon Armor DLC is really great but you will not be able to use it till the second half of the game more than likely because of the strength rating.

Or you can "cheat", my second playthrough is with a mage, I gave her the Arcane Warrior specialization which allows her to subsitute Strength for Magic, and with her 30+ magic (to get potent spells early on) she easily equiped it. Her weapon is still really bland though, but I'm grateful for that in a way, it makes me still feel like I'm not uber equipping her right from the start.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: lugaru on February 23, 2010, 12:59:54 PM
Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 23, 2010, 12:13:41 PM

Or you can "cheat", my second playthrough is with a mage, I gave her the Arcane Warrior specialization which allows her to subsitute Strength for Magic, and with her 30+ magic (to get potent spells early on) she easily equiped it. Her weapon is still really bland though, but I'm grateful for that in a way, it makes me still feel like I'm not uber equipping her right from the start.

thanks for that info.

Tortuga

Or you can "cheat", my second playthrough is with a mage, I gave her the Arcane Warrior specialization...

I can't remember -- is that power passive, sustained or activated?

BWPS

Quote from: Tortuga on February 23, 2010, 11:14:51 PM
Or you can "cheat", my second playthrough is with a mage, I gave her the Arcane Warrior specialization...

I can't remember -- is that power passive, sustained or activated?
The strength-to-magic is passive. Arcane Warrior is insanely powerful and basically makes your character an equal or even better tank than most warrior types. My main character was an Arcane Warrior (after I realized how terrible shapeshifting was and restarted) and just mostly turned on all sustained spells like flame weapons, stone armor, and of course the AW shield spell and the final one that turns you into a fade spirit. At the end of the game, all my other characters were pretty much terrible and died quickly but I was able to defeat all three dragons with just him (it took a while, but thats kinda how it goes with them).