Artemis' scribbles: 2nd September 2013. Portfolio Prep

Started by Artemis, January 06, 2010, 01:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Just trying out my wacom bamboo. I'm unlikely to get back into skinning but i thought I might show some little doodles i have just started. I'm very scatterbrained so they're likely to go unfinnished. But I'd love critique - anything that can help with colouring, etc. Anything at all would be helpful.

Spoiler

Some sketches of Mileena and Sonya Blade...I dont know why i chose them....just did. They're kind of the beginnings of character re-designs. but honestly, I don't see them going beyond this point. I'd love to do a finnished piece in photoshop but I seem to get bored really easily.

And this is a sample of one of my projects, hand drawn and basic colour in letraset marker then sacnned and worked ontop in photoshop:

Spoiler

It's a fashion illustration but it's incredibly boring. Just a basic line-up figure. The real life one has garment flats beside it.

I'd love any feedback, something to help me further my technique or just general comments.
Thanks!

Reepicheep

These are really, really cool. I like them, especially the style in the last one.

:thumbup:

murs47

I echo Reep here. These are very cool. The third's style seems like a mix of multiple mediums, which looks really nice. Prismacolor marker, watercolor, and pen ink.

Artemis

Thanks for the comments guys. I have something a bit different here, actual garments I made for a recent project before Christmas.

A dress and jacket made by me, from initial concept to final garments it took about a month (there are a lot of processes to make sure the final garment is right; we usually make at least two toiles - rough versions of garments which are fully made but not finished with buttons, hems, zips etc. to make sure the design can be made properly and then fit the toiles to a model to make sure the fit is perfect.) so i'm not a really slow sewer....well I am but.... anyway. Less talk.

I would have had her take the jacket off it it weren't such a tight fit, but the dress was pretty simplistic so your not missing much.

(BIG PIC) On the catwalk:
Spoiler
This model wasn't my fitting model, so I was extremely panicked on the day of the show, i literally found out five minutes before that I couldn't have my original model. But I am glad I got this girl - She "Sasha Fierce'd" it so good! :D

Artemis

When I get a computer which runs nifskope & character tool I plan on creating my re-imaging of the original FF.

This is man-bot. Just a quick sketch, but in my mind, he towers over the other members, not giant man tall, but definately around 15 feet.

Blkcasanova247

I love the checkered pattern on that dress and the way you utilized the fabric underneath and on top. ;) Very cool...I wish I could have seen more of the dress however. And I'm liking the idea for your Man Bot! :thumbup: You should post this over at the Irrational Games Forum as well in the Fan Art section...I stared a FR thread there you can use start one yourself. ;) :D
http://irrationalgames.com/community/forums/fan-art-amp-screenshots/
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

Artemis

I think I will cass, I hope so much that IG see how much love there is for FF. I really hope we get another game.

Here's Alchemiss - I'd like her to use a staff but i dont have a design in mind yet. so until then./....

Also, not sure on whether i want her masked or not. And if unmasked if I want her to have pure white eyes like in the original games or if I should give her normal eyes.

Blkcasanova247

Liking the hood...and go with the mask. If it were me I'd try her out in a skirt and boots over the "unitard" look. I think it'd work to the asthetic of the hood you designed...and maybe 3/4 length sleeves with short gloves. Thats just me.  :rolleyes: :P :D I have also been working on new Freedom Force designs with updated looks for a couple of the "classic" characters. ;)
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

Artemis

I think your definately right about the mask and skirt Cas, its also something to strengthen the link to her original look. Definately will be updating her with your suggestions.
I've got looks for Blackbird, Sea Urchin and Eve up next. Eve is my favourite FF character, it's a bit of a departure, and she has multiple costumes - but that's what she gets for being my favourite :)

Reepicheep

You've got such a cool style, both artistically and design...istically.

I second Cas' words. Mask. Skirt. Can't wait to see what you do for the other ladies.

Artemis

Thanks Reep, I'm adjusting Alchemiss and have BBird and Sea Urchin sketched out..

But here is Eve, if i were to turn this project into what I would like it to be ( a mod) Eve would be a constant presence, but not a playable hero until the FF had around 6 or 7 members. before that she would play the role of an Ultimate Nick Fury type: manipulating and orchestrating events in the pursuit of some goals known only to herself and Mentor. She would later go on to be the traditional Eve we know and love, bow arrows and all.

Spoiler

Reepicheep

I'm interested, why did you chose the greek/hoplite look? Awesome style and drawings as usual, but I find that choice quite odd for a character rooting from the eve of genesis.

Artemis

Quote from: Reepicheep on July 04, 2010, 09:29:31 PM
I'm interested, why did you chose the greek/hoplite look? Awesome style and drawings as usual, but I find that choice quite odd for a character rooting from the eve of genesis.

I totally understand what your saying, it's quite a big departure from what the original character is. But these designs are kind of like my "ultimate" versions of the characters....I don't know if that's the best way to explain it but basically, I'm using the original concepts of Freedom Force and then moulding them into something...else. I really should write down the backstories I have in mind, it would definitely explain some of the visual elements.

This version of Freedom Force would be founded in the early 2000's.

My interpretation of Eve is basically this:

Having lived on earth for centuries, she does not know how she came to be there. Using her beauty to entrance men Eve has lived a dozen lifetimes full of wealth, power and influence. Now, she finds herself in a world about to undergo an incredible change. Her status and abilities have come to the attention of certain powers and she, sensing sinister motives she is wary of allying herself with them. However, she decides to bide her time; not wishing to risk defying this ominous presence.

As an agent of this powerful force she uses her beauty and wealth of knowledge acquired throughout the ages to help put into motion plans she knows very little about...

Anyway, Eve would discover whatever this evil was planning. She would then enlist a group of individuals to stop them. Knowing only of her ability to manipulate men she feels she cannot put a stop to this force alone.
With FF founded, Eve would act as a liason with other groups, team secretary and other non field roles. There would be a few missions and a bolstered roster before Eve would begin to understand who she truly is....

which is basically wonder woman with a bow and arrow instead of a lasso. oh and she can't fly.
An (alien) amazonian princess (maybe I shouldn't call them amazons) Eve was taken from her mother as a ritual sacrifice to Gaia, however instead of a blood payment the goddess required a physical rebirth. Eve would be the vessel for this. An intrusion by agents of Pan meant that Eve was erroneously sent to earth and knew nothing of her true heritage.

Pan's agents would find her eventually, abduct her and FF would need to rescue her. during the course of these events she'd reconnect with the various ins and outs of her culture and reason for being. Pan would defeat FF and Eve would somehow become Gaia's vessel. This would bring about the powers and abilities that the traditional Eve has, only she wears a little more...
Defeating Pan, Eve returns to earth with her teammates and moves onto active duty, using her new abilities to put a stop to the evil within Patriot City with Freedom Force.

.....not great or particularly original, but I'm no writer, and I just wanted to flex what little creativity i have.

Reepicheep

I like it, actually. Hardly unoriginal. Pan is a greek image so the look is justified right there. Visually bridges the gap between hero and nemesis.

Perhaps, to carry it through, the planet she comes from be called Eden? Or is that TOO unoriginal? :P

Artemis

Thanks Reep, and i actually like the Eden planet idea.

Cyber Burn

Really liking that Man-Bot. I would love to see it in game.

Artemis

Thanks Cyber. Right now FF : Reborn is taking a back seat to some work for University. I've been given free rein over what to draw so I'm picking subjects I like. I need to be able to come up with fashion design concepts from my sketchbook however so, I need to do alot more analytical drawing.

This is an idea I had for a printed T-shirt design. a hand drawn sketch coloured and drawn into again in PS.

Spoiler

Still unfinnished, I'm thinking I may print out and collage onto of it before scanning it in again and add some more PS elements to it. I really want to creat a kind of multi faceted, textured look.

And this may or may not make it into the sketchbook. It's a drawing of my avatar, but I need to edit it quite a bit. All done traditionally with a regular ballpoint pen and watercolour pencils for colour. I don't love the face. I may just photoshop in some fashion model. :S

Also, i'm considering using my FF skins as print ideas, however I'm not sure it would be considered my work if I used someone else's mesh. Even with my own base skin. Or am I wrong. Should I stick to Irrational meshes as they're basically a kind of free ware?
Spoiler

murs47

These are excellent Artemis! I can definetly see the top one being a t-shirt. Is that supposed to be a female Man-Bot? Fem-Bot.

Artemis

Quote from: murs47 on August 29, 2010, 03:14:28 PM
These are excellent Artemis! I can definetly see the top one being a t-shirt. Is that supposed to be a female Man-Bot? Fem-Bot.

Thanks Murs, i didnt even realise the resemblence to Man-Bot! originally it was just a woman coloured blue, then i added the armoured elements because I just ordered the Art of Iron Man 2 book and was really exicted for it :D. But now that you mention it, I can seem to think of anything else! I think you're right, Fem-Bot she shall be!

cmdrkoenig67

I really like the armored lady t-shirt design, Art.

Dana

naitvalis

i like most  the idea of the last, that woman outfit with that lil parts apllied to the costume, i imagine them as little diamond with many sparkling effects, or maybe sapphires or other kind of gems, could be fun if she have a face made of gem material to, but not scomposed in parts.

i like "woman bot" design too even if she look to "droidy" in my opinion, maybe human eyes under some protection can solve this.

now if i can give you a little suggest: you look skilled in draws more "normal dresses" i mean not "superoutfits", why don't you try to draw
a more "everyday" outfit ? i mean like that one of  "spirit" for example?
( i hope you accept my suggest as a way to better your work not as a sensless critic)

Artemis

A long time since I've posted, and while I'd like to say i've done loads of great pieces I think I'm going to struggle to complete an azmaing sketchbook. However I completed a piece today which i am very proud of. Inspired by the Rita Hayworth movie Gilda :

*TALL IMAGE*

Spoiler

About 3 or 4 hours in PS. from sketching the full figure to deciding exactly which lines I wanted to use. and then the colour completely shut my brain down, i spent at least 1 hour on several differnt application methods. this I feel is contemporary and fashion illustration-esque without losing the elegant quality i was aiming for.

MJB

That's very good. What type of tools did you use in PS?

Artemis

Thanks MJB. I started with a 20-30min sketch :
Spoiler
and used the pen and freeform pen tool to create lines which i felt were most interesting then used the stroke path command and various sizes of a hard edged brush with shape dynamics and (sometimes) other dynamics selected and simulate pressure? checked. i used my tablet throughout - i can't bear doing PS with a mouse anymore, it's too depressing :(

murs47

I love it! I love your pen/ink style...it's so fresh.

MikeB7

That's a beautiful image - I keep coming back to look at it, lol.  Cool to see the progression from sketch, too.  I love that you left the legs out of the final image, it really adds a touch of elegance.   :)

And I just actually read what you wrote and you used the word elegant.  I'm not gonna go back and change my sentence, cuz that was the honest initial impression without reading what you wrote.  Which is good, since that's what you were going for.   :P

Artemis

I've got back into creating skins for FF so here's a couple of concepts for some upcoming characters:
Just rough colours on the right trying to get a sense of the outfits.

Amethyst on the right is supposed to me composed of faceted precious stone. I'm not looking forward to trying to skin that.

Artemis

Eve, Entropy, Alchemiss, Sea Urchin, Blackbird.

Eve is needing some gloves. I wrote previously about my version of Eve being an off field agent of FF until a few more recruits have been added. This is when she's a field member, the body suit would be panelled and reinforced kevlar, with neoprene gussets at key areas (backs of knees, crotch, back of shoulders) to enable maximum mobility while still retaining the protection of such an outfit. Some kind of flat sneaker shoe built in to the costume, like a track and field shoe - built for maximum comfort and mobility. Like a Nike Rift.

Alchemiss is a vessel for 'The Goddess'. She was an archeology student helping her professor with a dig at a celtic burial ground in the United Kingdom. Returning their artefacts to Patriot University for further study she is compelled to wear a solid gold death mask that was unearthed, believed to belong to the warrior queen Boudicca . Imbued with mystical energy she has strong mystical powers. She would use alchemy alot, turning thugs into solid gold to prevent them fleeing, and then removing the state when they were apprehended. The gold symbols on her hood/shawl and loin cloth would be celtic knotwork, her golden greaves would be embossed with the same motifs.

Entropy is again Alchemiss gone mad. Her mastery of mystical arts and alchemy is supreme, her body armour is composed of constantly shifting molten gold which hardens and liquifies at her will allowing for weaponised transformations of limbs similar to Venom/Plastic Man/etc. Her hair would be a long braid, with golden accents tying the knots.

Sea Urchin. Her skin is marked similar to that of a fish, it's not scaled or slippery, just slightly shiny. Her eyes are black like a sharks. Gills on her shoulders because I wanted to keep her cute. The outfit is supposed to be similar to those American cheerleader dresses that I've seen on so many US high school series'; like Glee's Cheerios. It would be sequined and impractical. Young and fun, she doesn't take her battle wear as seriously as she should. a shoe similar to Eve's.

Blackbird. Biker influence. Lots of leather, metal zip detailing. A biker helmet with Large mirrored lenses representing eyes of a bird. Really trying to aim a feminised Batman.

Podmark

You're doing some great design work! I really like the Blackbird and Sea Urchin.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

naitvalis