Can you script for a character to remove defenses and/or null specific powers?

Started by ElijahSnowFan, January 16, 2010, 02:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElijahSnowFan

Hi, all!

So, I'm back in the mix of scripting AIs, which can be pretty darn fun...when you get it right. Of course, there's nothing quite as frustrating as being just a little bit off... :D

But anyway, here's my scenario/question.

I have a formidable little DC character who has the ability to control light -- all kinds of ambient light. I'm trying to script him, and he's just a little bit off...just giving him ranged energy attacks isn't quite enough.

So, another of this guy's tricks is "stealing light." If it's ambient, he can take it -- for instance, he can shut down power rings/shields and nullify Superman's heat vision. Quite cool, actually...

That is, if I can script it. I don't know that I can...because I can't find the subtype or situation that indicates if a character is using an active defense. Does that exist?

Also, can a power null be scripted to stop something like subtype=['ranged_heat', 'ranged_energy']? Would that work, or would the AI not understand something that specific and then not use the power at all?

Thanks for the help, good people!

ElijahSnowFan

Ha! Never mind, everybody! I got back in there and tried something just a little bit different, and it's working pretty well -- Green Lantern just got PWNED, which is just about right for this scenario/power set.

As always: FFX is the single-best mod I have ever seen in gaming! Yeah, I said it! :thumbup:

DrMike2000

I concur! ;)

I'd use transmutation attacks and custom forms.

e.g. make a supeman_nl (nl for no light), green_lantern_nl and so on, and script a custom function for determining the for that you transmute the character into. I think that would work....
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

ElijahSnowFan

Huh...thanks, Dr. Mike! That is a darn good suggestion -- that would be even better, because while Doctor Light is still very effective, he still spends a tad too much time nullifying powers.

Back to work for me!