News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Windows 7 FFVTTR Issue...

Started by cmdrkoenig67, January 20, 2010, 03:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmdrkoenig67

Hi FR Folks,

Member Jackfrost's Editor issue sounds kind of like my issues with Win 7, except I get errors messages for  :ffvstr: mod tools (I wasn't sure if I should post this in with his or not). 

I try to start the Nif Viewer and I get a "MSVCP71.dll is missing from your computer" error...I try to start the Editor and get a "mss32.dll is missing "error message and when I try to start the Character Tool, I get a "zlib-1.1.3.dll is missing" message....All of these error messages  instruct me to reinstall them programs (which I've done four times)...Nothing seems to be working.  When I look into my FFVTTR folders all of those "missing" items are there...So what's the deal?

Can anybody please assist me with this?

Thank you.

Dana

Tomato

where are the dlls located? If they aren't already in the same folder as the exes, copy them both to that folder and to your system32 folder. If nothing else, try googling the dlls... there might be a directx or c++ pack or something that you'd get automatically under XP that Vista/7 ignores.

cmdrkoenig67

Thank you, Tomato...it worked!  Windows 7 has a habit of placing files and new programs in an alternate Program Files folder called Program Files (X86) and not the main Program Files folder.  While all the .dlls were in my Irrational Games folder in the main Program Files folder....The Editors couldn't find them.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

I have a new issue with Win 7...Neither of the mesh converters seems to working...I downloaded the NPI version and Lightning Man's converter from the Freedom Fortress.  When trying to use either of them, both open a command line for a second and then slam shut.  Not really sure what to do now...

Dana  :huh:

GogglesPizanno

Lightning Man's converter was written in .NET version 1.1 I believe, and after a quick googling it looks like while windows 7 will install and support .NET 1.1 there are some registry entries and other things that don't get installed which can cause older apps like this to not function correctly. I think in these instances the best bet would be to try something like VirtualPC and running XP as a virtual machine (which is basically what I believe Windows 7 Professional does with its XP emulation mode).

Tomato

I wouldn't get too far ahead of myself goggles- The ez nif converter works fine on my Win7, so it might just be that all dana needs is net 1.1

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Tomato on January 20, 2010, 08:19:11 PM
I wouldn't get too far ahead of myself goggles
I'm currently in First Place in my own race of one!!!

Actually as tech nerdy as is sounds... I love VM's. You can break things 20 ways to Sunday in a VM without actually hurting anything on the host. So I like having at least one set up to test stuff and do "stupid" things.

Tomato

Oh I agree, but installing a VM just for a nif converter is a bit extreme... you install a VM for something major, like 3ds Max.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Tomato on January 20, 2010, 09:58:02 PM
Oh I agree, but installing a VM just for a nif converter is a bit extreme... you install a VM for something major, like 3ds Max.

Which I also can't use on Win 7...LOL.  BTW...I did try to download the Net 1.1 thingy, but I keep getting an error message.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

Tomato...Is it the dotnetfx35 that you're referring to or is it actually something called net 1.1?

Dana

BTW...Thank you, Goggles, but I wouldn't have clue as to how to set up a virtual machine...I'm a techtard.

GogglesPizanno

You might try just uninstalling and reinstalling the converter.
It usually throws an alert error if you are missing .NET, and I think Win 7 bundles all versions 2.0 and up with the OS, and as Tomato said, he can run it. So it might just be a corrupted file thing.

One other thing is to try multiple meshes. I still get the occasional skoped mesh that breaks the converter.

Tomato

I'd also suggest running it with the cmd prompt (I forget exactly how it's done, but there might be a readme somewhere). It won't actually convert anything it wasn't before, but it'll give you more information as to WHY.

And yeah, I use a virtual PC for my copy of max... stupid discreet and their stupid security measures of stupidness.

cmdrkoenig67

OMG!!  So I got the converter working, but now I'm having issues with Character Tool2, NifSkope and a Skoped mesh I'm working on...Win 7 is driving me insane.

I'm Skoping the mesh on my desktop and then replacing the one in my character folder every now and then with the altered mesh, yet when I open the mesh in Character Tool it shows the mesh as it was before I altered it...I then attempt to alter the mesh in the character folder, I re-open CT and it shows the changes...I then go back to the desktop mesh to open the other mesh in NifSkope and it now shows the changes I made to the mesh in the character folder (which it should not do)???!!....AAAAAAAARRRRRRGH!

I'm sure it's some compatibility issue, but this is frustrating and rage-inducing.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Tomato on January 21, 2010, 07:23:57 AM
I'd also suggest running it with the cmd prompt (I forget exactly how it's done, but there might be a readme somewhere). It won't actually convert anything it wasn't before, but it'll give you more information as to WHY.

And yeah, I use a virtual PC for my copy of max... stupid discreet and their stupid security measures of stupidness.

I unfortunately, can't run a Virtual PC on my computer, though...I don't have Win 7 Professional.

Dana

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on January 23, 2010, 05:42:32 PM
I unfortunately, can't run a Virtual PC on my computer, though...I don't have Win 7 Professional.

If you wanted to pursue it, Ive read you can download Virtual PC 2007 (with SP1) and it will run under Windows 7.
http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/08/19/running-virtual-pc-2007-on-windows-7.aspx

Its not supported by Microsoft of course. Its what i used on my XP home edition (another OS not supported) but if you go through the installer past the warning it worked. I imagine windows 7 is similar... though I haven't tried it and cant verify it.

cmdrkoenig67

Thank you, Goggles....I don't think I'll try it just yet.  I've had far too many computer disasters of late and I'm not a gambling man.

Dana