The Return of the Artistic Challenge!? The assignments have been posted!

Started by Rick Battlemage, February 01, 2010, 12:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Battlemage

Today I was diving through FR's past and came across this post http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=40914.0 made 3 years ago. So here I was like... I wanna do this again! So I'm not sure how many artists FR's got left, but I wanna see all of you here! You can hold a crayon? Sign up!

For old times sake here it is. With a tip of the hat to Pyroclasm :D.

The challenge is Randomizer.

Sign up by declaring the character you intend to use as your art subject. (It must be a character not previously named in this thread, so name it before someone else does!) Don't care where it's from. It doesn't have to be a comic character.

On Friday February 5th I will randomly create assignments for each participant from a list. They will be such things as Medieval, Failed Clone, Horror etc.  (No one will have the same assignment.) This challenge ends on the 28th.  If you want join this challenge anytime in February, PM me so I don't miss your post. (You can even sign up again if you did your first pic and want another go.) After Feb 28th, I will not give out assignments.

I should note this is not a contest, it is a challenge for yourself.

Rules:
1) Virtually any style--  Drawing, painting, CG, sculpture, action figures/dioramas, etc.
2) It must be your art.  No reposting or plagiarizing other people's art.  Obviously it's an honor system, but you don't wanna get called out on it and end up ruining it for others.
3) Nothing from Freedom Force or City of Heroes/Villains.  (Both have their own sections on FR.) If you make something (like a skin) that coincides with your art entry, you can link to the another thread.
4) Although technically not a work in progress thread, it's ok to make one in-progress post and then your final.  You can also create a new thread featuring your work in progress and link to it.  I just don't want other artist's work buried under repeated postings of your progress.
5) Forum rules still govern subject matter.

Rick Battlemage

Naturaly I'm gonna participate as well :3 I'll pick my favorite X-Man. Nightcrawler

MJB

I'm a bit weary about this... I hope I follow through...

I nominate Lou. If you don't know who Lou is you are dead to me.

Rick Battlemage

Quote from: MJB on February 01, 2010, 09:42:41 AM
I'm a bit weary about this... I hope I follow through...

I nominate Lou. If you don't know who Lou is you are dead to me.

I remember Lou, he's the devil character from comics you've drawn right? Must have been years ago since I've last seen him though :P

Xenolith

Okay, I'll play.  I'm nominating a character I created called Doctor Oculus.  He is a cross between Doctor Doom and Mysterio.  I'll post a picture of the original and then the final.

Reepicheep

DrMike2000

OK, count me in. I'll do Spiderman. I haven't drawn him for a while.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

The Hitman

Man, I haven't drawn anything in years... but I'll give it a shot. Maybe... Darkwing Duck?

bearded

i want to try to do this.  give me ...batman.  in fact, i want double batman!  whatever method you use for the theme, give me 2.  so, i can do science fiction cowboy batman, for example.  and don't disregard it if you get the same results twice.  like, double emo batman, twice the emo!

and, family is looking for a project, is that cool?  if no one minds, wife wants to take the challenge.  but she wants a duet, she wants to do a single art piece based on dream and death, from the sandman series.  it would be funny if she got goth as a theme!  goth sandman, can you imagine?
i've got some ideas for themes also, if you need any.

Rick Battlemage

Quote from: bearded on February 03, 2010, 06:17:15 AM
i want to try to do this.  give me ...batman.  in fact, i want double batman!  whatever method you use for the theme, give me 2.  so, i can do science fiction cowboy batman, for example.  and don't disregard it if you get the same results twice.  like, double emo batman, twice the emo!

and, family is looking for a project, is that cool?  if no one minds, wife wants to take the challenge.  but she wants a duet, she wants to do a single art piece based on dream and death, from the sandman series.  it would be funny if she got goth as a theme!  goth sandman, can you imagine?
i've got some ideas for themes also, if you need any.

Sure, a double theme might be interesting :) and of course your wife can take the challenge as well. The more the merrier :3

docdelorean88

Hmmm, okay. I will try to participate, its nothing terribly fantastic, i just do some basic drawings, but i'll try. So, i guess i will do...Tron.(I bet i'm gonna regret picking him, but oh well) Also, can the art include related objects(Light cycle, Solar Sailor, etc)?
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Rick Battlemage

Quote from: docdelorean88 on February 03, 2010, 06:04:38 PM
Hmmm, okay. I will try to participate, its nothing terribly fantastic, i just do some basic drawings, but i'll try. So, i guess i will do...Tron.(I bet i'm gonna regret picking him, but oh well) Also, can the art include related objects(Light cycle, Solar Sailor, etc)?
It's your art, the rules are very loose. So I'd say yes. :)

bearded

and the daughter chooses spongebob.  if you can get us our themes, we'll start on saturday.

docdelorean88

Quote from: Rick Battlemage on February 04, 2010, 10:31:32 AM
Quote from: docdelorean88 on February 03, 2010, 06:04:38 PM
It's your art, the rules are very loose. So I'd say yes. :)
Great, thanks for doing this, its a great idea!

daglob

Rick Battlemage

These are the assignments, I'd like to see them finished by the end of February if possible. Now in the past when I took the challenge I sometimes got stuck for an idea, so if you need any help shoot me a PM or maybe ask here so others can chime in as well.

Rick Battlemage - Nightcrawler

Space Opera: Aliens, Space-age knights, Smugglers, etc.  Your character exists in a sci-fi fantasy universe or perhaps just a galaxy far far away...

MJB - Lou
Western: Your character came to be during the height of the Old West.

Xenolith - Doctor Oculus
Evolved: The character's abilities have been increasing and adapting.  Think how over the years some comic characters gain new abilities or mutate into new forms.  Perhaps their powers are forced into overdrive making them freaks among freaks...

Reepicheep - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Steampunk:  Victorian era sci-fi adventure ala Jules Verne, Alan Quartermain, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...

DrMike2000 - Spider-Man
Megalomaniac: Not just a villain, but the uberpowered bast**d that destroys the world's supers for their cause.  If you get this theme and a megalomaniac, just try and push the envelope further.

Hitman - Darkwing Duck
Old: The character is just shy from living in the home of retired superheroes.  Perhaps this is at the tail end of the character's existence, perhaps how he/she would look on his/her last mission...

Bearded - Batman
Historic: The catchall category for other historical time periods not covered in other categories.  Ancient Greece, the Rennascaince, Ancient Egypt...
Pet/Furry: Lycanthrope (Captain America as Wolf), animal hero (Underdog) or perhaps just the character's faithful companion (Krypto)...

Bearded's wive - Dream & Death
Child: Any age from baby to teenager.  Your character started his adventures at an earlier age.

Bearded's daughter - Spongebob
Genderbender: Your character reimagined as the opposite gender.

Docdelorean88 - Tron
Medieval Fantasy: Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, etc.  You know the drill.  The character exists in a medieval world of magic & monsters.

Daglob - Dr. Solar; Man of the Atom
Horror: Your character has been or is transformed into a creature of darkness.

docdelorean88

MJB

Very cool, Rick. Don't think I've ever drawn anything with a western theme. Sounds like fun.

Reepicheep

Xenolith

I'll post the basic version of Doctor Oculus here later.  Without a reference it's kind of hard to tell how advanced he has become.  I think this is his robotic body from the late 1960's and early 1970's.  My comic world setting is stuck in 1964.  

Basically Doctor Oculus is a black blob floating in some goo in the transparent head of a man-sized robotic body.  He fires energy beams from his helmet and the robot body has super-strength and stamina.  The old Doctor Oculus was on foot, so part of his upgrade was a hover disc.  The main improvement is his new body.  It still has a glass head, but now it roughly looks like a man's face.  The body is slimmed down.  He has some disc that uses ambient sunlight to shoot powerful ray blasts.  I'm not sure why he has it.  Maybe it was just for this issue.  :)

I can't draw muscles worth a poo, and the guy on the right is really stiff, I know.

Here is the old Doctor Oculus - the one I use in my RPG world.

MJB

Nice job, Xenolith! Love the classic comic look.

I finished mine as well. Shocking, I know.

Couldn't decide which was better so I asked the wife. She says "Post them both!". So here they are:

-MJB

DrMike2000

Bearded has the same assignment as Grant Morrison there. Pretty cool :)
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

Xenolith

I like both versions.  You should do an on-line comic of that character.  Very cool.

Deaths Jester

Blast!!  If I had known this was back in vogue I would've joined in...blast it!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Rick Battlemage

@Xenolith: Your sketches are so clean! My sketches usually are really rough and messy. That's after I clean them up :P. Also I really like the idea of shaping his dome like a face. Awesome work :)

@MJB: Awesome Lou, and you got it done fast too! ;) You always have such great coloring.

Quote from: Deaths Jester on February 12, 2010, 04:57:44 PM
Blast!!  If I had known this was back in vogue I would've joined in...blast it!
It's not too late. Name a character and I'll roll my 23 sided die to get you an assignment ;P

MJB

Quote from: Rick Battlemage on February 12, 2010, 05:27:01 PM
@MJB: Awesome Lou, and you got it done fast too! ;)

I was really inspired by the challenge but I knew if I didn't start on it right away I wouldn't finish. :oops:

Rick Battlemage

I'll start drawing Nightcrawler tonight... I actually started 2 days ago. I sketched, I inked and then when I was coloring it Photoshop crashed... 2 hours of work gone! I was so angry! :P I decided to go to bed early and call it a night. I didn't wanna draw no more.

So yeah... moral of the story. The age old rule. Save your work! :P

MJB

That sucks, Rick. I know the feeling. Same thing happened to me many times.

I'm just excited to see the other entries. :D

Rick Battlemage

Well here it is, space opera Nightcrawler. It was a lot of fun drawing him. Even though I was stumped at what he would look like. So I googled some pics and came across the cover of Nightcrawler #1. I decided it would be nice to do a homage to that cover so I started from there.

MJB