The Nolans Directing The Man of Steel & Justice League?

Started by Midnite, February 10, 2010, 08:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?

QuoteIn possibly one of the biggest superhero movie shockers since the last one--when was the Spider-Man reboot, three weeks ago?--Deadline Hollywood is now reporting that The Dark Knight  and Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan has been assigned the potentially thankless task of being the latest filmmaker assigned by Warner Bros. to try to save the "Superman" franchise, in this case in a mentoring capacity to figure out the best way to proceed.

BWPS

I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

deano_ue

ok this can work out either of 2 ways

1 the bad an grim dark "realistic" superman which is moronic

2  the good a worlds finest movie

bredon7777

This better not delay a third Batman movie too badly.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

docdelorean88

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2010, 02:13:52 PM
Seeing as they are waiting on it to approve any more major films, i would think not. But who knows.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

freegentile

Man, if only DC would employ the animator who did the Marvel Ultimate Alliance cutscenes & the Iron Man adventures videos from the marvelkids page...looks like the same developer...they could make the most incredible movie. For that matter, Marvel should do the same. Unclear why they don't. Can't be that much more expensive than a live-action film.

steamteck

lugaru

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2010, 02:13:52 PM

I'm willing to bet he is getting a fat paycheck to look over some storyboards and talk to starstruck crew over lunch. Should help, Batman is the only trully succesful property they have right now. Also reboots are not bad, the Punisher and Hulk ones did not waste a minute on origins.

BlueBard

Quote from: freegentile on February 10, 2010, 05:31:55 PM
Man, if only DC would employ the animator who did the Marvel Ultimate Alliance cutscenes & the Iron Man adventures videos from the marvelkids page...looks like the same developer...they could make the most incredible movie. For that matter, Marvel should do the same. Unclear why they don't. Can't be that much more expensive than a live-action film.

I wouldn't necessarily bet on that.  Animation can be very expensive, especially if done right, and they still need to pay voice actors.  It can also take a long time to do.  Of course a live-action film would still have tons of SFX and CGI.  It's a pile of cash no matter which way you do it.

I'm not sure what Hollywood would do that wouldn't seem like a retread of the Donner films.  Kryptonite?  Done it.  Lex Luthor?  Check.  Lost powers?  Yep.  Superman clone?  Uh-huh.  Leftover Kryptonians?  Check.  Messy relationship with Lois Lane?  Every stinking time.

I still think they need to get Kevin Anderson in there to write it.  The same elements will be there, but I think he can do something inventive with them.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Gremlin

I'm just hoping he brings back that giant mechanical spider thing that was floating around for awhile, that sounded awesome.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Gremlin on February 10, 2010, 09:43:53 PM
I'm just hoping he brings back that giant mechanical spider thing that was floating around for awhile, that sounded awesome.

Ha!  That made my day.

What I want, what I've always wanted from a Superman film, is Darkseid.  See, the way I envision it, you'd start off with Supes facing some fairly earthly threats in the first movie, and gradually introduce more and more 4th World elements in subsequent films, before "BAM!" Justice League fighting off Apokolips invasion.  Of course, they've already botched any kind of nice progression with their Superman Returns snorer.  I'd like to see Brainiac show up as a villain, and then maybe Kalibak, Kanto, and Intergang.  That could lead up to a JLA flick.  It's the next best thing to the Martian invasion.  The only problem is it sorta' doesn't leave you too many places to go because of just how awesome it is. :D

Also:

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on February 10, 2010, 01:27:53 PM
ok this can work out either of 2 ways

1 the bad an grim dark "realistic" superman which is moronic

2  the good a worlds finest movie

They've already been talking about number two, there.  Remember "Superman will be an angry god"?  Perhaps, despite that tone being Nolan's forte, he'll tell them how incredibly stupid it is.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

stumpy

The first step in any new Superman movie is to utterly ignore Superman Returns. Just pretend it never happened. Then, when writing the next film, summarily reject any plot threads that include 1) Superman as a deadbeat who got Lois pregnant and then ran off for five years; 2) stalker Superman; 3) villains trying to cash in on real estate scams; 4) any bipolar villain who is half campy cornball and half utterly cold mass murderer; 5) Clark as an incompetent reporter; 6) any Superman progeny, superpowered or otherwise. There are lots of other things, but those should be mandatory.

I think they could do well with a good Brainiac story and there is huge potential in developing Darseid as a recognizable Superman baddy, though I would prefer they hold off on that until they have shown they can make a decent movie before addressing such an epic story. Heck, I would even like to see a good Luthor story (they would do well to read Elliot S! Maggin's Superman fiction to see how to do it), though I understand they would never do two movies in a row with Luthor as the villain, even if they were ignoring Superman Returns.

BTW, I don't have much feel for Hollywood budgeting, but I am almost certain that the budget for a live-action Superman movie would be way, way higher than for an animated feature. Not really even the same ball park. (And, that isn't to disparage the animated features in the least, because I have enjoyed them immensely.)
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

steamteck

Quote from: stumpy on February 11, 2010, 01:05:43 AM

BTW, I don't have much feel for Hollywood budgeting, but I am almost certain that the budget for a live-action Superman movie would be way, way higher than for an animated feature. Not really even the same ball park. (And, that isn't to disparage the animated features in the least, because I have enjoyed them immensely.)

That may be why they tend to be so much more exciting and well thought out. They're  below most of the execs radar.

steamteck

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 10, 2010, 11:00:59 PM

What I want, what I've always wanted from a Superman film, is Darkseid.  See, the way I envision it, you'd start off with Supes facing some fairly earthly threats in the first movie, and gradually introduce more and more 4th World elements in subsequent films, before "BAM!" Justice League fighting off Apokolips invasion.  Of course, they've already botched any kind of nice progression with their Superman Returns snorer.  I'd like to see Brainiac show up as a villain, and then maybe Kalibak, Kanto, and Intergang.  That could lead up to a JLA flick.  It's the next best thing to the Martian invasion.  The only problem is it sorta' doesn't leave you too many places to go because of just how awesome it is. :D

Sounds cooler than mortal comprehension if done right. I would like to see the TAS version of Brainiac myself because it makes it so personal.

BentonGrey

Quote from: steamteck on February 11, 2010, 02:50:58 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on February 10, 2010, 11:00:59 PM

Sounds cooler than mortal comprehension if done right. I would like to see the TAS version of Brainiac myself because it makes it so personal.

EXACTLY!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

freegentile

Sir Bentonian is right on. I remember that shortly after the movie made its run in the theaters, Singer or someone in this camp had circulated a possible movie poster that said, "a virus is coming" & it was an all black background w/ what looked like the Returns-style "S" in a green kryptonite look & the words below it...I suppose that was indicating the villain would be Braniac. I'm sure he could do a good job w/ it, but Returns was just too mish-mashed. Had some really really awesome moments, but super-lacking in the action & awesome department.

Midnite

Louis Leterrier is Hot for Superman

Quote"After 'Hulk,' I was meeting different people and they said they were thinking of doing Superman," he explained. "I was never asked to do it. I just love those universes and grew up reading Superman."

steamteck

Quote from: Midnite on February 12, 2010, 06:54:20 PM
Louis Leterrier is Hot for Superman

Quote"After 'Hulk,' I was meeting different people and they said they were thinking of doing Superman," he explained. "I was never asked to do it. I just love those universes and grew up reading Superman."

That would work for me.

BentonGrey

Yeah, after Hulk he's built up a pretty big boatload of good will on my part.
God Bless

tommyboy

The first step in any new Superman movie is to utterly ignore Superman Returns. Just pretend it never happened. Then, when writing the next film, summarily reject any plot threads that include 1) Superman as a deadbeat who got Lois pregnant and then ran off for five years; 2) stalker Superman; 3) villains trying to cash in on real estate scams; 4) any bipolar villain who is half campy cornball and half utterly cold mass murderer; 5) Clark as an incompetent reporter; 6) any Superman progeny, superpowered or otherwise. There are lots of other things, but those should be mandatory.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything but 5. If played right, bumbling Clark can bring some needed light relief or even comedy to the franchise. He doesn't need to be Mr.Bean, but it was one of the things that Christopher Reeve did seem to play well. And the incompetent/cowardly/bungling alter-ego is such an archetypal component of heroic fiction I'd be loathe to see it lost.
However, if you mean that despite his shortcomings Clark should still be a competent reporter, I agree. After all, he does work for a major metropolitan newspaper, they would fire a complete putz.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: tommyboy on February 20, 2010, 12:28:24 PM

Agree wholeheartedly with everything but 5. If played right, bumbling Clark can bring some needed light relief or even comedy to the franchise. He doesn't need to be Mr.Bean, but it was one of the things that Christopher Reeve did seem to play well. And the incompetent/cowardly/bungling alter-ego is such an archetypal component of heroic fiction I'd be loathe to see it lost.
However, if you mean that despite his shortcomings Clark should still be a competent reporter, I agree. After all, he does work for a major metropolitan newspaper, they would fire a complete putz.

Tommy, you hit the nail on the head with that last bit.  Clark Kent is NOT an incompetent reporter.  I've always had the opinion that this was a mistake that writers (both of the comics and the films) make too often about him.  For Clark to hold down a job at what is arguable the DC Comics equivalent of The NY Times or The Chicago Tribune kinda negates that he is going to be that incompetent.  I'd say "clumsy" maybe, definitely nerdy and maybe a bit socially inept (I would not call him "up to date" on popular culture) but he is completely able to write an honest journalist article and do good reporting.  He's a small town, old fashioned guy in the big city and all the potential awkwardness that might come with that.  The only "incompetence" that might linger over his work as a reporter would be the need for him to "go off and be Superman" and that is a perception that others should have of him instead of a fact.  It's a similar thing to Peter Parker always getting the good Spiderman pics but no one ever sees him there.

As for Nolan mentoring a Superman reboot.  I think Nolan should do more than just Superman in that regard.  He should be open to and welcome to advise on any of the big three.  If you want a set-up like what Marvel has with the potential Avengers movie and the movies that are building up to it, then go to a guy with not only a proven track record with your properties but who has done work that has generally been well received by critics and fans as a whole (with the exception of a few people here).  If only to help coordinate logistics and to get various projects moving.  DC should not have to wait for Nolan to get Batman 3 done before moving ahead on a Superman reboot or other films and this is a good way to handle the matter.

Talavar

Nothing Nolan has done that I've ever seen suggests to me that he'd be anything but terrible with Wonder Woman.

Mr. Hamrick

I'm not proposing he directs Wonder Woman.  I'm suggesting more of a consulting situation.  Like I said, advising.

Consider this:

In the third Batman movie, there could be an offhand reference to this super man in Metropolis.  (or some other, and better, foreshadowing.  maybe a bit more indirect) Something to establish the world that Nolan has more or less created in Gotham City as part of a larger world.  There could even be a subtle (key here is subtle) nod to something in the Wonder Woman universe.

A better avenue for the latter would for some sort of nod in a Superman reboot about a Themyscaran embassy being proposed in Metropolis.  It'd be more likely to happen there.  You have the nod to Metropolis in the third Bat film and then...

A Wonder Woman film FINALLY gets done.  The writer and/or director of the Wonder Woman would have Nolan and whoever directs new Superman reboot available as a consultant.  Furthermore, any DC Comics property that was produced in the future could call on Nolan or other creative members of the DC filmverse to make sure things mesh together but are still distinct.

Essentially, it'd be a way for a future writer or director of a DC comics film to utilize work that Nolan has done.  He gets paid for it.  And if Nolan were to do a fourth Batman film... or for that matter if the third takes that long to do... Nolan could equally utilize something another director or writer has done.  BECAUSE IT'S ALL THE SAME UNIVERSE.  

It'd be the equivalent of having the character crossover and references with the latest Marvel stuff only a bit more hands on with regards to the people behind the camera.

And just for the record, Talavar, there is not a director working right now who has done anything that suggests to me that they'd be "perfect to helm Wonder Woman".  I am including Joss Whedon in that.  I personally cringed at the thought of Whedon doing Wonder Woman.

stumpy

Quote from: tommyboy on February 20, 2010, 12:28:24 PMHowever, if you mean that despite his shortcomings Clark should still be a competent reporter, I agree. After all, he does work for a major metropolitan newspaper, they would fire a complete putz.

Bingo! I have no problem with wimpy Clark, timid Clark, or clumsy Clark; they are part the disguise because no one who knows Clark in that light can make the mental leap to him being the supremely powerful, confident, and graceful Superman. The superficial tweaks (glasses, hairstyle, etc.) are the disguise for strangers who have seen both Clark and Superman. The personality tweaks are what keep those people who see Clark and Superman regularly from realizing they are the same person.

But, for the reasons you have mentioned, it isn't believable that Clark is also an incompetent reporter. And that's pretty much the implication when, for instance, he doesn't investigate the very bizarre power outage, which must have had a supernatural explanation and would have caused hundreds of deaths.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Midnite on February 27, 2010, 02:02:58 AM
The Nolans Directing The Man of Steel & Justice League?

I'm not convinced that C. Nolan will be involved with in anything beyond The Man of Steel.  It's not even definite that he is directing it.  On the other hand, J. Nolan being involved with the scripts beyond third Batman and a Man of Steel is very likely. 

The only way I could see it happening is if Warner Brothers agreed to a distribution deal with Nolan on his non-Superhero films.  Another words, "The Dark Knight did incredible at the box office so WB will happily release Inception."  It happens all the time.  And honestly, it's what I'd do if I were in his position.

steamteck

The Dark knight approach is way way to dark for Superman or Justice league for me I sure hope that's not where this is going.

BWPS

I hope they don't put Batman in a Justice League movie. I also hope they don't feel the need to make movies of all the characters first because knowing DC that will never ever happen and they'd reboot it 50 times before it did. I have no confidence in WB to get good superhero movies made at this point.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: steamteck on February 27, 2010, 06:29:24 PM
The Dark knight approach is way way to dark for Superman or Justice league for me I sure hope that's not where this is going.

Batman is a dark character and always has been.  Even in the Justice League, he has always been the "dark brooding one".  The closest you got to him being "cheerful" was the characterizations in the 1960s that were largely influenced by both the comics code and the tv series.  It only becomes a problem when overdone ala the post Frank Miller stuff in the 1990s.  Even some of that was not bad, all things being said.

BentonGrey

Quote from: BWPS on February 27, 2010, 06:40:25 PM
I hope they don't put Batman in a Justice League movie. I also hope they don't feel the need to make movies of all the characters first because knowing DC that will never ever happen and they'd reboot it 50 times before it did. I have no confidence in WB to get good superhero movies made at this point.

Sadly, I agree with you BWPS.  WB has pretty much driven any excitement for DC movies out of me.  They've used up what was once a fairly substantial reservoir of good will on my part.
God Bless