News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Final Fantasy 13

Started by TheMarvell, March 11, 2010, 04:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarvell

So, any fans out there? Just wondering thoughts on this game.

Personally, I've never been that into Japanese RPG's. Most of the time, they just come off as silly to me, with most of them having at least one really, really annoying/obnoxious character, often kiddy, that pulls me entirely out of the experience. So, generally I'm not too interested in them.

however, for whatever reason, I was drawn to Lost Odyssey. And it was one of the best games I've played in a long time. Easily one of my top 5 on the 360. Now I've taken a little more interest in the JRPG genre, and was thinking of picking this up, since FF is so popular. Out of the entire series, I've only played 1 on the NES as a kid (hated it, but I was a kid and didn't know how to play), and parts of 7 (it didn't pull me in, as I tried it out long after PS1 was extinct).

so, as someone who loved Lost Odyssey, do you think I should pick up FF13?

chuckles

I've seen only one preview of it, but I'll get it. I'm a fan of the series, and that might have a lot to do with it.

kkhohoho

Well, take these accounts into consideration:

1.FF13 costs $60.00, which would be a waste of money if you ended up not liking FF13.

2.The creator of Final Fantasy left the series after FF10, but went on to create games such as Lost Odyssey, which you seem to like.

3.FF13 is apparently devoid of a lot of RPG staples. There isn't much exploring to be had, and NPC's that don't have to do with the plot, as well as towns in general, are virtually non-existent.

4.Another report is that FF13 is really about the story, which is natural considering the previous aforementioned losses of what help make a JRPG a JRPG.

5.Bottom-line, FF13's main goal is to tell a story, though while it's serviceable, there are better stories in existence. If you want a RPG that's either more of a game, or at least strikes a happy medium between story and game, you might want to look elsewhere, because FF13 doesn't seem to veer more-so down the path of 'game'.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

TheMarvell

well, one of the reasons why I loved Lost Odyssey so much was because of the story, specifically its strong cast of characters (its main plot actually isn't that great, especially with that horribly cliche villain). Obviously I want a fun game, but I'm all about having a solid story in my games, especially RPGs.

People keep complaining about how linear it is, but Lost Odyssey was really linear too. Is FF13 more linear than LO?

as for the price...yeah, that's a very good point. I can, however, take advantage of a local sale where the store is giving a $15 gift card with the game, so that's why its all the more tempting to buy this week. But you're right, I shouldn't buy a game with that high of a price I'm taking a chance on. The game looks really good though, and I've always wanted to get into a FF, if only to say I actually played and finished one.

but yeah. If its anything like Lost Odyssey, I'll most likely enjoy it. I'm just not sure since I haven't played that many JRPGs.

marhawkman

play FF X-2 :)

I loved it but I still quit playing before I finished one playthrough.

BWPS

Disclaimer: FF7 is the best game ever, FF6 is almost just as good, I am pretty much a fanboy and I decided I loved this game during the opening credits.

This game is ultimate awesome. The linear walking and combat reminds me of Eternal Sonata (which I liked) only turned up to 11. I tend to love games that are heavy on cutscenes. Yeah, it's definitely different, totally focuses on the combat which is two or three billion levels of amazing. The world is very sci-fi and the characters are totally cool. Anyway, I'm only on Chapter 3 and hardly anything has happened, but I totally recommend it. It's really serious but some of the trope characters are funnyish. I surprisingly like Sazh, even though he's voiced by Mudflap from Transformers 2. But he says "I'm getting too old for this" like every five seconds. Hilarious.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

JeyNyce

I'm not a big Final Fantasy fan, but I did love FFVII.  I have it for the PC.  I'm kinda if-y about 13 but it has gotten great reviews.  I want to try it out just to see how it plays.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

lugaru

Honestly I played halfway through 8 and that was it for me (if you dont count tactics games, although the DS tactics game was a letdown). I dunno, I'm more for the "american school" of RPG (wich is better represented in europe ironically) which is about character building, "what you see is what you get" loot (no laser sword loot from a dog) and a slightly more adult direction.

Still I would not mind trying out a FF game these days, especially if made more linear (I hated the grind in those) but is this one console only? If so I need not bother myself.

EDIT: just wanted to add that I did play almost all the ones before 8, when I say 8 was it I mean it was my last.  :P

marhawkman

"no laser sword loot from a dog"

:p  maybe the dog stole it frm someone?  Seriously though, most of the FF games have a set variety of items you can steal/get from enemies.  usually they aren't silly.

Previsionary

Most Final Fantasies (all 13+ of them. Yes, they're more than 13 games in the series.) are console only EXCEPT FF7, 8, 11, and the upcoming 14. Also, no one forced you to grind. :P. I beat FF8 my first playthrough with level 15-30 characters, and there's a fan made challenge for FF12, which involves beating the game with level 1-3 characters (since leveling barely matters in the game).

But seriously, one of the most important factors of the FF universe was the exploration and city details. I spent more time exploring in FF12 than I did on the actual story, and you were allowed to pretty much examine a good portion of the area around you right off the back in said game, so the linear nature for 15-20+ hours of the game disappoints me (and reminds me of FF10). I've also heard that the side-missions seemed tacked on just to give you something extra to do later in the game, which is another downer for me considering last installment had so many even without the "Hunt" stuff.
Disappear when you least expe--

lugaru

Quote from: marhawkman on March 12, 2010, 04:41:49 PM
"no laser sword loot from a dog"

:p  maybe the dog stole it frm someone?  Seriously though, most of the FF games have a set variety of items you can steal/get from enemies.  usually they aren't silly.

What is funny is that I see that in more american games now, Dragon Age and your standard MMORPG have a lot of moments like that, like finding leather armor on wolves or healing potions on ghosts.

I do wonder what they are doing storywise though... Final Fantasy was always great about having you live in the moment. Like "forget about the past, now you are on another continent". Finishing a 40 hour game was like watching a TV series, things at the start and end did not really match up but if you did not think about it you had a great trip one hour at a time.

marhawkman

I know that the FF games did that as recently as FFX-2.  Enemies had only two different items they could drop.  (always steal from bosses, the items weren't pwnsome, but you'd get them sooner than normal.)

Actually that was another thing about X-2.  Levels mattered, A LOT.  There were enemies you couldn't beat without having enough levels.  Also enemy stats were the same regardless of what your levels were.  That and equipment items were useful more for resists than anything else.

JeyNyce

I bought the game when it came out and started playing it yesterday, and all I can say is WOW!  I didn't think I would like it because I'm not a big Final Fantasy fan, but I'm loving it.  I'm liking the characters and the story is not that bad.  What I love about this game the most are the controls.  Yep the controls are easy and there is so much you can do.  This is the first time I like a game because of the controls.  It at least worth a rental if you're in doubt.  It's like watching a movie.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!