Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

JLA: The Yesterday's War WIPs

Started by John Jr., March 19, 2010, 04:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Jr.

We have villains too:
Alien Soldier:

I used base textures from The Gryphon, C6 and The Baroness to make this skin.

UnkoMan

That one in the front looks like he is crying or something.

I see you are going with simple base meshes. In this age of nifskoping I have to wonder if it is a conscious choice? If so, more power to you. If not, you can get things closer to the costumes shown by putting different parts together. Example, I think Ren's made a cape that does that collar thing. Maybe on his NoMan mesh. And the flared gloves would be easy to find.

If, however, you are all "I am doing it this way on purpose" then I apologize.

I will suggest one thing though. Maybe add some shadow where parts overlap (IE where boots meet pants). It adds depth and makes a skin pop that much more.

In any case it's good to see more people working on obscure characters. They are, obviously, the best to skin. KEEP IT UP!

Kenn

Quote from: John Jr. on March 30, 2010, 10:47:39 PM
We have villains too:
Alien Soldier:

I used base textures from The Gryphon, C6 and The Baroness to make this skin.

Pre-Crisis white-skinned Martians from JLA #144!!   Coool!
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

John Jr.

Quote from: UnkoMan on March 31, 2010, 04:20:06 AM
That one in the front looks like he is crying or something.

I see you are going with simple base meshes. In this age of nifskoping I have to wonder if it is a conscious choice? If so, more power to you. If not, you can get things closer to the costumes shown by putting different parts together. Example, I think Ren's made a cape that does that collar thing. Maybe on his NoMan mesh. And the flared gloves would be easy to find.

If, however, you are all "I am doing it this way on purpose" then I apologize.

I will suggest one thing though. Maybe add some shadow where parts overlap (IE where boots meet pants). It adds depth and makes a skin pop that much more.

In any case it's good to see more people working on obscure characters. They are, obviously, the best to skin. KEEP IT UP!

I always use generic meshes in my mods to make the download lighter. I'm using specific meshes for the main characters (including some all-new skopes), but sometimes 2 or 3 supporting characters will share the same mesh. Since the Martian Soldier is only cannon fodder in my story, I believe it's better use the Male Cape and share it with other characters.
I liked your ideas about the costume, so I added the collar to the skin and made the brown parts darker:

Scorpion13mk2

Call me crazy, but Im kinda diggin the whole old-school skin design, what with the simple mesh and the Gryphon base.

Kenn

You and me both Scorpion.  But then again, I'm still old school with my skinning.

UnkoMan

Makes sense!
And, actually, it suits the style so why not? I like the cape collar!

John Jr.

I really need your feedback with this one, guys. I never did a detailed civilian skin before, and the seams gave me a hard time. I don't know if he's good enough to use in the Mod, but I don't know what else I can do.
Shoes are placeholders (because I can't draw a decent pair).
Clark Kent, college student (mesh is "Superboy_TT", by Ink and I used C6 and Tomato's "Male Suit" base skin and The Gryphon's Male Basic to make the skin).

murs47

I'd say the cloth work looks really good. Especially the button-up shirt. If anything add some detail to the undershirt to make it look like it's underneath the button-up a little more.

Good detail on the White Martian too.

Xenolith

I like everything but the hair.  I think it is too gray.  You might have to work in more black and white and leave out the big patches of gray.

Outcast

:o I think you did an amazing job with the civilian skin, not to mention Superboy's face. You can definitely use it in your Mod.

Great work JJ. :thumbup:

laughing paradox

You've improved in such a short time, JJ.

I love how the pants and shirt came out on young Clark. I'd recommend adding shadow to the shirt at the end of the sleeves and in the collar part, against the chest, to add more depth.

John Jr.

Thanks a lot, guys.
I added the shadows as suggested by LP and Murs. Once again thanks for the tips!

BentonGrey

Man, that Clark Kent looks fan-freaking-tastic!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

John Jr.

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 02, 2010, 09:10:40 PM
Man, that Clark Kent looks fan-freaking-tastic!

Thanks a lot, Benton. I'm very glad you liked Clark. I'm still have 3 more civilians to finish for the mod and the feedback in this thread helped me a lot.

Podmark

Wow that looks great. I love the hair, and the cloth look great.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

John Jr.

Quote from: Podmark on April 04, 2010, 07:20:41 AM
Wow that looks great. I love the hair, and the cloth look great.
Thanks, Pod.

John Jr.

Young Bruce Wayne, he's not Batboy or even Batlad, but he's trying to become world's greatest crimefighter.
Once again I used Male_Basic, by The Gryphon; Male_Costume by C6 and Male_Suit, by C6 and Tomato as base skins. Used some Irrational's textures on the sweater too.
I tried give to Bruce a face different from Clark's.
The mesh is the same I used for Clark (Superboy_TT, by Ink, I just alphaed out the glasses and the belt).

Scorpion13mk2

Youre hitting the faces spot-on there with your Kent and Wayne meshes.

John Jr.

I changed the Martian Soldier's mesh to one of Tommyboy's great Versatiles meshes. So, now our soldier have flares and a 3d belt and I still can use the same mesh to more than one charater (thanks for the Alfa channel trick you taught me, guys!). I added some shadding to the overlapping areas as suggested too.

John Jr.

Martian Commander:

I used the same mesh as the soldier and C6's Male_Costume and Male_Grim (yeah, I changed the face a lot. I noticed the Commander was more a "cocky smile guy" than a "grim visage guy".
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a helmet like the one on the reference pic.
Feedback is welcomed, as always!

Kenn

Commander Blanx is looking pretty good.

I have an idea for some parts that could be hexed/skoped into something closer to his traditional helmet.   If you'd be interested (since I believe you're trying to keep the number of meshes down) please let me know.

John Jr.

I'm always interested in having something made by you, Kenn.
Thanks!

EDIT: I was very unsatisfied with the skin, so I added more details (wrinkles and seams), I believe it's a little better now.

laughing paradox

It's always good to change the faces up and what you did came out great. I'm happy Kenn is helping you out with the skope for the character, too.. should be very cool.

John Jr.

Quote from: laughing paradox on April 13, 2010, 04:28:06 AM
It's always good to change the faces up and what you did came out great. I'm happy Kenn is helping you out with the skope for the character, too.. should be very cool.

Thanks, LP! I'm a fan of Kenn's work and it's great have his help, since I can barely skope.

John Jr.

New skope and skin for Superboy.
I had some problems with the older skope, so I made this one with parts of Ren's Invincible, Ren's Superman and the head from an Ink mesh.
I made an "alternate", classic skin, with a brighter blue. I changed the s-shield (this one was edited over an screenshot from John Haymes Newton's Superboy costume form the tv series) and added more shadow on the overlapping areas. I added more black to the hair too.

Lana Lang (It wouldn't be a Superboy mission without her, right?)

Lana's is a skope with parts of Ink's Marvel Girl II and Tommyboy's Female Versatile Mesh. The skin was made over a C6 Female Basic, I changed the face a little, as usual. I used some textures form The Baroness basic skins.
What you think, guys? What I need to change to make the Smallville Sweethearts better looking?

laughing paradox

I love the Superboy.. came out perfect.

Lana Lang's clothes are great. I think it's her face that's throwing me off.. she looks a little old and mean for Lana. Maybe give her bigger eyes for youth and happiness.

And she's missing a leg!! What kind of skope are you making? :P

murs47

Scorpion13mk2

I really dig the blues and the subdued musculature on that Superboy there.

John Jr.

Thanks to you all, guys! I'm really glad you liked Superboy.

Quote from: Scorpion13mk2 on April 16, 2010, 12:26:52 AM
I really dig the blues and the subdued musculature on that Superboy there.

Thanks, I really tried to make Superboy looks less built than his older counterpart. I'm not a fan of the musclebound teenager look some comic book artists are found.

Quote from: laughing paradox on April 15, 2010, 09:53:40 PM
Lana Lang's clothes are great. I think it's her face that's throwing me off.. she looks a little old and mean for Lana. Maybe give her bigger eyes for youth and happiness.

And she's missing a leg!! What kind of skope are you making? :P

Missing a leg?! What are you talking ab... Damn! I knew I had forgotten something!