The old Human Torch is the new Captain America

Started by AncientSpirit, March 29, 2010, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 01, 2010, 09:54:48 PM
Quote from: lugaru on April 01, 2010, 06:25:21 PM
I agree... Captain America is not supposed to be an aryan superman, he is supposed to fight them. Dye his hair and throw him in front of the camera. I was a big supporter of the Heath Ledger joker casting (if you do a search on these forums) and while I dont consder Chris Evans to be an amazing actor, I'll wait until it comes out.

Ehh, considering that comics are a visual medium, and that, therefore, the characters are at least partially their appearance (and Cap more than most given his status as a symbol), then I hardly think that such physical features are completely irrelevant.  The fact that this fellow isn't blonde isn't enough to make me despair, but it really does bother me, because I feel like it shows something of a disregard for the details (minor though they may be) of who and what Cap is.  Also, it is a good deal harder to make a brown haired guy believably blonde than vice versa. :P

Yeah, but at the end of the day they have to put the actor first and the hair department second. The only case I remember saying "wow, he looks exactly like the character he is playing" is when Ron Pearlman was cast as Hellboy.

:P

BentonGrey

Yeah, but I have a hard time believing that there isn't a blond actor out there who could do as good or better of a job.  As a matter of fact, I rather think that there almost has to be. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteEven if it is just a name toss. They were war buddies.

Does Walmart advertise Target's products.  No. Remember, in the movies these characters are owned, at least for the purposes of making movies, but two completely different and competing companies.  Don't expect them to be promoting their competition.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

bat1987

I dont mind the hair thing at all, but I just don`t see this guy as Captain America. Not sure he could pull off the presence Steve Rodger has whenever he appears.

herodad1

i dont want to shoot him down to soon but i'm with benton....theres gotta be someone out there blonde that could play the part.if chris is gonna do it, like i said before he needs to be alittle bigger.he needs to really look like a super soldier.

JeyNyce

I really don't like Like Chris playing as Cap, but I also didn't approve Heath playing the joker, and look how that turns out, so I'm going to give him a chance.  Marvel is doing a great job so far with Iron Man 1 & 2 and HULK. I don't think they are going to screw it up now with Cap.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

Quote from: JeyNyce on April 02, 2010, 02:20:15 PM
I really don't like Like Chris playing as Cap, but I also didn't approve Heath playing the joker, and look how that turns out, so I'm going to give him a chance.  Marvel is doing a great job so far with Iron Man 1 & 2 and HULK. I don't think they are going to screw it up now with Cap.

Yeah, like I said before, they've earned some good will on my part.  This doesn't strike me as great, but I'm keeping my hopes up.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

AncientSpirit

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 02, 2010, 02:43:37 PM
Yeah, like I said before, they've earned some good will on my part.  This doesn't strike me as great, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Agreed.   And dittoed. 

However, even though I am one of the few movie-goers who thoroughly enjoyed both Fantastic Four movies, it still bothers me that they dyed Jessica Alba's hair blonde and used her as Susan Storm.   Great actress.  Great performance.  But there was a basic disconnect for me between what she looked like and who she was playing.

That said, this role probably isn't the same since Sue always looked like Sue ... and Steve Rogers wears a mask when he's Captain America.    The mask itself may go a long way to solving my problem with this casting choice.
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

Talavar

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 02, 2010, 01:25:08 AM
Yeah, but I have a hard time believing that there isn't a blond actor out there who could do as good or better of a job.  As a matter of fact, I rather think that there almost has to be. :P

Make a list of legitimately blonde actors with some degree of fame (given Marvel's casting potentials, they weren't looking for an unknown).

Now remove all the ones that are too young or old or not physically fit enough.  Do you have a large list of potential Caps?  Because I sure don't.

Now cast the star of potentially two major franchises (Avengers & Captain America) from that list.

JeyNyce

John Jr.

Quote from: JeyNyce on April 02, 2010, 04:44:44 PM
Sebastian Stan will play Bucky

http://marvel.com/news/moviestories.11746.captain_america~and~bucky_cast_for_2011_film

I was surprised with their choice to Cap, I'm not a fan of Evans, but... Let's see if he can do his part.
But I'm more surprised Bucky will be in the movie. Since the actor is not a kid I suppose we'll have the Brubaker's "Armed and dangerous" Bucky Barnes, and that's fine with me. After all Bucky was alway using guns in the forties.
Who knows, maybe it will be good after all.

docdelorean88

Quote from: JeyNyce on April 02, 2010, 04:44:44 PM
Sebastian Stan will play Bucky

http://marvel.com/news/moviestories.11746.captain_america~and~bucky_cast_for_2011_film
Color me soooooooooooooooooo confused. I can see maybe throwing in bucky, i don't really know how...but i can see it. But this dude is a grown man pretty much. What were they thinking?
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm guessing they're updating the character for a modern movie audience.  The US army letting a young boy fight beside they're elite super soldier?  I don't think so.

My guess is that in the new version he will be a fully adult soldier, probably a very good one assigned to assist Cap.

EDIT:  After doings some searching, I'm thinking, as they already have, they'll borrow heavily from the Ultimates and Ultimate Bucky was an adult.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

John Jr.

In the current Cap. continuity Buck was about 19 when they Cap was frozen. Ed Brubaker figured Bucky as a teen when the war started, so he should be in his late teens, 5 years later.
But I agree, probably will be non-costumed Bucky...
Damn!

JeyNyce

Or maybe they are going for the Batman & Robin approach......?  LAWD!, I hope not.

NomadX

Quote from: Talavar on April 02, 2010, 04:13:35 PM

Make a list of legitimately blonde actors with some degree of fame (given Marvel's casting potentials, they weren't looking for an unknown).

Now remove all the ones that are too young or old or not physically fit enough.  Do you have a large list of potential Caps?  Because I sure don't.

Now cast the star of potentially two major franchises (Avengers & Captain America) from that list.

Disregarding hair color it still doesn't take away the fact that Chris Evans is a poor choice to play Cap. I'll always think of him as that guy from "Not Another Teen Movie". Also, I didn't really care for the Fantastic Four movies (everything about them just seemed wrong). But hey, if you like him as an actor have fun seeing the movie, I just won't be watching it.

Previsionary

Chris Evans wouldn't have been my choice either. Looking at his sample of work and everything I've seen him in, he just comes off as the funny/jerk guy. I've never seen him in anything that required major acting chops such as a dramatic role. I also don't think the Heath Ledger comparisons are working. Heath had a ton of different roles under his belt by the time we learned he was playing Joker, so we at least knew he had range (though people complained all the way until the movie came out), with Chris, that's not really there. Even the next few movies he's featured in, which are coming out soon, promote his "comedic" acting.

But, I'm going to trust that he's going to take this role seriously and prepare as best he can. No point in being negative when we don't know what he'll bring to the table. Besides, there's a lot of time for things to change.

Also, I can't believe people are making hair color such a big deal. There're dyes out there and they can work wonders with editing. That's what hair & makeup workers + editors are paid to do. ^_^
Disappear when you least expe--

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Previsionary on April 03, 2010, 11:36:56 PM
Chris Evans wouldn't have been my choice either. Looking at his sample of work and everything I've seen him in, he just comes off as the funny/jerk guy. I've never seen him in anything that required major acting chops such as a dramatic role. I also don't think the Heath Ledger comparisons are working. Heath had a ton of different roles under his belt by the time we learned he was playing Joker, so we at least knew he had range (though people complained all the way until the movie came out), with Chris, that's not really there. Even the next few movies he's featured in, which are coming out soon, promote his "comedic" acting.

But, I'm going to trust that he's going to take this role seriously and prepare as best he can. No point in being negative when we don't know what he'll bring to the table. Besides, there's a lot of time for things to change.

Also, I can't believe people are making hair color such a big deal. There're dyes out there and they can work wonders with editing. That's what hair & makeup workers + editors are paid to do. ^_^

Actually, you proved my point spot on about the comparison to Heath.  People WERE complaining about Heath being cast as The Joker up until the movie came out.  And in the case of some people (including a few members here), they are still complaining.  Furthermore, Heath had never done anything remotely akin to The Joker before doing so.  He was largely seen doing comedies, romantic comedies and period drama.

My point regarding the casting of Chris Evans is that he is an unknown in this kind film.  Even the action films he has done had some degree of comedy to them.  Or that flat out sucked for reasons other than his performance.  He doesn't have as much experience doing drama and that is probably the biggest reason he took the part.

I'm not saying that he will deliver the kind of Oscar winning performance that Heath gave.  However, I do suspect he will be better than his performance in Fantastic Four.  And better than Ben Afleck in Daredevil.

Previsionary

What point of yours did I prove? Your comment was a sentence long, lol. If anything I expanded on or reiterated your concise statement, which isn't the same as proving. *nitpick*

Yeah, I just did that. :P
Disappear when you least expe--

Talavar

Quote from: NomadX on April 03, 2010, 11:23:06 PM
Quote from: Talavar on April 02, 2010, 04:13:35 PM

Disregarding hair color it still doesn't take away the fact that Chris Evans is a poor choice to play Cap. I'll always think of him as that guy from "Not Another Teen Movie". Also, I didn't really care for the Fantastic Four movies (everything about them just seemed wrong). But hey, if you like him as an actor have fun seeing the movie, I just won't be watching it.

Read what I've said in this thread:

Quote from: Talavar on April 01, 2010, 03:29:33 PM
Will Chris Evans be good?  I hope so, but I'm not betting the farm on it.  Is his hair colour relevant?  No.

I have no real opinion on Chris Evans as an actor; I've seen him in 2 movies that weren't very good but that he was okay in.  My point is that choosing actors based on hair colour alone is ridiculous, and that deciding whether or not to see a film based solely on a casting decision seems like an over-reaction.

My real issue is with fans of geek properties who latch on to some bit of minutia that they dislike, and blow it way out of proportion in terms of its importance or impact in the story being told, and claiming its ruined for them because of it.  It can be Spider-man's organic web-shooters, Hugh Jackman's height and theatre background, the exclusion of Tom Bombadil, James Bond's hair colour, etc., etc., etc., and 90% of the time these things don't matter. 

Will Captain America be a poorer movie because Chris Evan's isn't blonde?  No.  Will it be a poorer movie because he's not the right actor for the role?  Maybe.  I'm at least willing to wait until I see actual information about the film aside from a casting notice before deciding whether or not to see it.

TheMarvell

Quote from: Talavar on April 01, 2010, 03:29:33 PM
I have no real opinion on Chris Evans as an actor; I've seen him in 2 movies that weren't very good but that he was okay in.  My point is that choosing actors based on hair colour alone is ridiculous, and that deciding whether or not to see a film based solely on a casting decision seems like an over-reaction.

My real issue is with fans of geek properties who latch on to some bit of minutia that they dislike, and blow it way out of proportion in terms of its importance or impact in the story being told, and claiming its ruined for them because of it.  It can be Spider-man's organic web-shooters, Hugh Jackman's height and theatre background, the exclusion of Tom Bombadil, James Bond's hair colour, etc., etc., etc., and 90% of the time these things don't matter. 

Will Captain America be a poorer movie because Chris Evan's isn't blonde?  No.  Will it be a poorer movie because he's not the right actor for the role?  Maybe.  I'm at least willing to wait until I see actual information about the film aside from a casting notice before deciding whether or not to see it.

I completely agree with everything you just said here. There's 2 big things that really irritate me about big budget movie adaptations like this. First one is when movie executives simply don't get the property they're making a movie about. The second thing is when fans get all bent out of shape over trivial details, like the ones you listed for Spider-Man, Wolverine, Lord of the Rings, and James Bond. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm cautious with Chris Evans because of the past roles he's done, including his ties to a previous Marvel superhero. Not because his eye lashes aren't the exact length as they are depicted in the comic book. But Marvel seems to be pretty particular with who they choose lately, especially considering how long it took them to pick Evans. And you know what? I hope they don't dye his hair blonde and leave it the way it is. Why? Because most of the time dying looks like an unnatural eyesore. See Kirsten Dunst's hair in the first Spider-Man, or Bryce Dallace Howards in the third (maybe a bad example, but you know what I mean).

Anyways, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

AncientSpirit

My biggest beef with Evans is that he played the Human Torch.   For those of us who liked the Fantastic Four -- or even Daredevil, for that matter -- and continue to watch these films over and over, the problem isn't hair color, its a basic disconnect.   I love Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, and think he's a great overall actor.  But do I want to see him as Thor now?  How about Doctor Strange?   I have no problem seeing Patrick Steward as Professor X and Captain Picard.   Two different franchises.   But having the same actor in different leading roles in major Marvel films helps break the "fourth wall" that separates the actors and story from the audience.    Is this a reaction from nerdy fans?  Not at all.   Sadly, many of the our best tv series stars never got beyond their basic tv role because the viewing public sees them as one specific character.  Get Smart's Don Adams never got beyond being Maxwell Smart. 

You can disagree, that's your right.   You can be hopeful that Evans won't suck on-screen, as I do, though I fear for the worst.   But to dismiss other people's concerns by referring to them as "fans of geek properties" isn't just a rude and dismissive argument.  It misses the basic boat.
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

Ares_God_of_War

All I can say is at least it isnt Jim from the office
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

captmorgan72

Totally agree with AncientSpirit. I already think of Chris Evans as Johny Storm in the Marvel movies. Now to see him as Steve Rogers is going to be very strange. Speaking of strange, I think that Robert Downey Jr would have been fantastic as Stephen Strange but it would be too weird now because I only see him as Tony Stark after seeing Iron Man.

Talavar

Quote from: AncientSpirit on April 04, 2010, 11:51:36 PM
My biggest beef with Evans is that he played the Human Torch.   For those of us who liked the Fantastic Four -- or even Daredevil, for that matter -- and continue to watch these films over and over, the problem isn't hair color, its a basic disconnect.   I love Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, and think he's a great overall actor.  But do I want to see him as Thor now?  How about Doctor Strange?   I have no problem seeing Patrick Steward as Professor X and Captain Picard.   Two different franchises.   But having the same actor in different leading roles in major Marvel films helps break the "fourth wall" that separates the actors and story from the audience.    Is this a reaction from nerdy fans?  Not at all.   Sadly, many of the our best tv series stars never got beyond their basic tv role because the viewing public sees them as one specific character.  Get Smart's Don Adams never got beyond being Maxwell Smart. 

You can disagree, that's your right.   You can be hopeful that Evans won't suck on-screen, as I do, though I fear for the worst.   But to dismiss other people's concerns by referring to them as "fans of geek properties" isn't just a rude and dismissive argument.  It misses the basic boat.

Dismissing legitimate concerns of fans of geek properties is a jerk move; dismissing trivial concerns by fans of geek properties - like those about hair colour - is important and necessary if fans of geek properties - of which I include myself - ever want our opinions to be heard by Hollywood.

BentonGrey

Like I said, it is a minor detail, but it could point to something larger.  Time will tell.  In the meantime, however, the man himself has made a small comment on why he wanted the part:
http://superherohype.com/news/captainamericanews.php?id=9243
God Bless

Tawodi Osdi

I think the biggest problems with fan expectations is that movies ain't comic books.  Writers of comics and novels are not as constrained by real world issues.  Movie makers may try to make things look outside of reality, but they have to work with reality to make that work.  Movie makers have to deal with real people and real physics.  A perfect rendition of the original property is frequently at odds with actually making a good movie.  I can't say I like this fact, but it is a fact.

murs47

I just watched Street Kings. Evans played a serious role in it, and he played it well. Was it memorable? No. But he didn't screw it up. In fact, I dropped the "look, it's the Human Torch" feeling about midway through his first scene.

He's actually a pretty muscular guy, I think the issue is his frame. He'll have to go through a rigorous training regiment to pack on any more muscle. Which really may not matter if his costume is WW2 fatigues modified to have a Captain America look to them. Something similar to the first issue of Millar's Ultimates.

All in all, I'm a lot more optimistic about Evans playing Captain America. He's proved to me that he's not just a one trick pony.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 05, 2010, 05:37:30 PM
Like I said, it is a minor detail, but it could point to something larger.  Time will tell.  In the meantime, however, the man himself has made a small comment on why he wanted the part:

I think this article is good for a couple of reasons.  

A) It makes a good point about Rogers as a character not just as a comic character.

b) It makes a great point about how actors should approach playing comic characters as though they are real people.  And Chris seems to get that.

Having said that, it now comes down to the director's vision for the film and the script.  Both of which can change and shape an actor's performance (particularly if the actor has any range).  A good director will be able to someties bring a performance out of an actor than will surprise and please an audience.

Tawodi Osdi

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on April 06, 2010, 10:28:23 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on April 05, 2010, 05:37:30 PM
Like I said, it is a minor detail, but it could point to something larger.  Time will tell.  In the meantime, however, the man himself has made a small comment on why he wanted the part:

I think this article is good for a couple of reasons.  

A) It makes a good point about Rogers as a character not just as a comic character.

b) It makes a great point about how actors should approach playing comic characters as though they are real people.  And Chris seems to get that.

Having said that, it now comes down to the director's vision for the film and the script.  Both of which can change and shape an actor's performance (particularly if the actor has any range).  A good director will be able to someties bring a performance out of an actor than will surprise and please an audience.

I think Hamrick has a point.  If the movie is going to be a hit, it is going to have to have broad appeal beyond its basic fanbase.  These movies cost a lot of money to make and comic fans tend to be niche group in most communities.

I can also see his point regarding the directing.  Consider GI Joe, it was a lousy movie, but it had great special effects, and in spite of the apparent lack of rehearsal time, it did manage to have well acted scenes.  It seems to me that the main problem with that movie was on the creative side trying to do too much too quickly.  Under the right creative team, I think it would have been much better, and that would probably be a good warning for any franchised movie property.