The old Human Torch is the new Captain America

Started by AncientSpirit, March 29, 2010, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientSpirit

According to CNN.com, Chris Evans has been chosen for the role of Captain America.   

Don't know about you, but I don't see Johnny Storm leading Tony Stark and Thor into battle.   And I don't see Chris Evens "leading" Robert Downey Jr.

As a comic book movie geek - and one of the apparent few who actually enjoyed the Fantastic Four movies - I also don't get why you would use the same actor for multiple superhero roles.   

This does not give me a good feeling about the Captain America movie ... or the Avengers movie.

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

lugaru

We posted this in the ongoing thread about it but since it is early and I'm half asleep I thought this was the comics thread. Like "wait, the android Human Torch will wield the shield?!"

AncientSpirit

Oh.   OK.

Then ... in related news ... THIS JUST IN:   Lindbergh made it!!!!!!!    (But Amelia has gone missing!)   :doh:
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

lugaru

Meh, an admin can merge the thread later, personally I dont mind having this conversation again, I love talking comics and movies.

About Chris Evans well we will have to wait and see... the dude is an actor but I honestly dont know if he is a good one, therefore capable of two very different roles. I mean I hope so, but we will see. Unfortunately I picture the caps voice as the stereotypical superhero style The Tick parodies (think Minuteman from Freedom Force), I hope that his voice carries some weight.

And yeah, I also enjoyed the Fantastic Four movies. I mean they are not good films, but they are probably the most fun out of all the comic book movies. They made me want to be in a superhero team, as opposed to the "woe is me" of Spidey (3), Batman, Superman and Daredevil. X-Men was a little fun too, so I did not include it.

Talavar

He was the best part of the 2 Fantastic Four movies, but will he make a good Cap?  Time will tell.

Here's hoping!

herodad1

yeah, i say give him a chance.he needs to bulk up alittle more.as far as him in a more serious role...well, i never thought brandon frasier would have been an action type actor either and he kicked butt in both mummy movies.

lugaru

The only reason I like the casting is that I also think you need a comedian to play such campy roles dead serious. People like Jackman (wolvie), McGuire (spidey) and Downey (Iron man) are really funny so it is easy for us to believe they are these butt kicking heroes without it becomnig overbearing. Heroes need to smile from time to time or for it to sometimes be funny when they get hurt. That is why EVERYONE wants to see Bruce Campbel in a superhero movie.

AncientSpirit

Well, in fairness, Christopher Reeve had to bulk up to play Superman.   And Chris Evans IS an actor ... so maybe he's not as light as the character of the Human Torch was meant to be.
AncientSpirit

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: AncientSpirit on March 29, 2010, 04:50:08 PM
Well, in fairness, Christopher Reeve had to bulk up to play Superman.   And Chris Evans IS an actor ... so maybe he's not as light as the character of the Human Torch was meant to be.

Just remember, a lot of people thought Heath Ledger would do horrible as The Joker.  He did good, as I recall.

thalaw2

Quote from: lugaru on March 29, 2010, 12:38:23 PM
We posted this in the ongoing thread about it but since it is early and I'm half asleep I thought this was the comics thread. Like "wait, the android Human Torch will wield the shield?!"

That was my thought too.
革命不会被电视转播

lugaru

Fan made poster, dont freak out. Also a more USAgent design:

Shogunn2517

To those who think Chris Evans has to increase his build, I have to point to the previous film in continunity, the Incredible Hulk.  In it, Emil Blonski was given the Super Solder Serum and Tim Roth didn't have to increase his build.  They did CG his tone, but but Evans is already toned.  He'll probably buff up a bit, but not excessively.  He'll still be a Olympic-level athlete who will be able to do all kinds of crazy stuff, but he won't be Schwarzenegger like.

BWPS

WTF guys have you not been looking at half-naked pictures of Chris Evans? He's really buff, he's actually a really good fit except for the fact that he's goofy in other movies. But I think he can play serious. He'll look just fine with some blonde hair.
http://www.hotjunkie.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/chris_evans_towel.jpg
http://www.nndb.com/people/191/000098894/chris-evans-1-sized.jpg
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

AncientSpirit

Quote from: BWPS on March 31, 2010, 02:17:39 AM
WTF guys have you not been looking at half-naked pictures of Chris Evans?

LOL.   No, I guess I haven't been looking at half-naked pictures of Chris Evans.

AncientSpirit

GhostMachine

Regarding the two fan-made posters, the second outfit would work if they removed the seams from the mask, colored the red part of the upper shirt blue or white, colored the lower sleeves white, then removed the Ultimate universe Cap red circle with white star from the shoulders.

The first version beyond sucks, and looks like a retarded version of Ultimate Cap.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: GhostMachine on March 31, 2010, 03:21:49 PMThe first version beyond sucks, and looks like a retarded version of Ultimate Cap.

Not *quite* my first thought.  But really, pouches on gloves/gauntlets?  Who designed that, Liefeld?   :thumbdown:
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Gremlin

Hey has anyone ever seen a bepouched hero work? Other than Batman?

docdelorean88

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on March 31, 2010, 06:12:44 PM
Quote from: GhostMachine on March 31, 2010, 03:21:49 PMThe first version beyond sucks, and looks like a retarded version of Ultimate Cap.

Not *quite* my first thought.  But really, pouches on gloves/gauntlets?  Who designed that, Liefeld?   :thumbdown:
Agreed. The first design would be acceptable for his 2010 outfit. I don't like the look of Ultimate Cap anyway shape of form other than his WWII garbs http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/darkq1/ULTIMATES/8215-captain-america_400.jpg

IMO, The First Avenger, Captain America needs to be entirely a WWII movie, until the last 2 minutes of the credits when, after being cryogenically frozen, they show him being thawed by (insert avenger here).
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BWPS

I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Panther_Gunn

catwhowalksbyhimself

Since the rights to Wolverine and all the other mutant characters is currently away due to licensing agreements, that can't happen anyway, even if anyone wanted it to.  Which no one does.

It will have to be either Fury or Stark.  Probably the former, but I can see Tony's tech being used to thaw/revive him without killing him and the process.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

JeyNyce

That mock up second pic  :D he looks like he waiting to be kissed
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: JeyNyce on March 31, 2010, 11:50:13 PM

They're *both* way too pouty.  You'd think whoever made them could have at least found a pic of him looking manly.   <_<

Sevenforce

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on April 01, 2010, 03:40:08 AM
Quote from: JeyNyce on March 31, 2010, 11:50:13 PM

They're *both* way too pouty.  You'd think whoever made them could have at least found a pic of him looking manly.   <_<

Sure. While they're at it, they can probably find the Higgs Boson, or prove String Theory

;)  :P
I so need booze -_-

NomadX

I'm going to be honest. I really hate that they went with Chris Evans. I probably won't even bother seeing the Cap movie even though I liked the comics when I was younger. Chris Evans is not blonde, maybe casting directors fail to realize this. I know it seems minor but comic characters are known for well...certain characteristics. It'd be like having Superman being portrayed by someone with red hair. I feel like they aren't even going to bother getting his hair color right like they did with Johnny. "Mr. Blonde Ambition", did becoming a giant rock monster make you blind Thing!, his hair is clearly dark brown. Eh, I guess I'm the only one bothered by hair color. Everyone else seems to be worried about build >.>

Talavar

Quote from: NomadX on April 01, 2010, 02:51:24 PM
I'm going to be honest. I really hate that they went with Chris Evans. I probably won't even bother seeing the Cap movie even though I liked the comics when I was younger. Chris Evans is not blonde, maybe casting directors fail to realize this. I know it seems minor but comic characters are known for well...certain characteristics. It'd be like having Superman being portrayed by someone with red hair. I feel like they aren't even going to bother getting his hair color right like they did with Johnny. "Mr. Blonde Ambition", did becoming a giant rock monster make you blind Thing!, his hair is clearly dark brown. Eh, I guess I'm the only one bothered by hair color. Everyone else seems to be worried about build >.>

I think you are the only one worried due to hair colour with good reason: a hair dye kit costs about ten dollars, and even then, hair colour doesn't act.  If they'd limited their casting options to male actors with genuinely blonde hair that would be a very short call list.

Will Chris Evans be good?  I hope so, but I'm not betting the farm on it.  Is his hair colour relevant?  No.

lugaru

I agree... Captain America is not supposed to be an aryan superman, he is supposed to fight them. Dye his hair and throw him in front of the camera. I was a big supporter of the Heath Ledger joker casting (if you do a search on these forums) and while I dont consder Chris Evans to be an amazing actor, I'll wait until it comes out.

docdelorean88

Quote from: BWPS on March 31, 2010, 07:14:13 PM
Quote from: docdelorean88 on March 31, 2010, 06:56:14 PM
they show him being thawed by (insert avenger here).

WOLVERINE!
I couldn't see him thawing Cap anyway, but i do think they need to do some reference to the character. Even if it is just a name toss. They were war buddies.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BentonGrey

Quote from: lugaru on April 01, 2010, 06:25:21 PM
I agree... Captain America is not supposed to be an aryan superman, he is supposed to fight them. Dye his hair and throw him in front of the camera. I was a big supporter of the Heath Ledger joker casting (if you do a search on these forums) and while I dont consder Chris Evans to be an amazing actor, I'll wait until it comes out.

Ehh, considering that comics are a visual medium, and that, therefore, the characters are at least partially their appearance (and Cap more than most given his status as a symbol), then I hardly think that such physical features are completely irrelevant.  The fact that this fellow isn't blonde isn't enough to make me despair, but it really does bother me, because I feel like it shows something of a disregard for the details (minor though they may be) of who and what Cap is.  Also, it is a good deal harder to make a brown haired guy believably blonde than vice versa. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/