News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

John's Skopes and Skins

Started by John Jr., April 04, 2010, 12:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Jr.

When you hear the name "Ultraman" you think in the Crime Syndicate Super-Villain? Well, this name always make me remember a 40 meters giant from a distant galaxy who fought... rubber clad monsters?!
I always play the Bobby 69/Lightning Man Ultraman in the Danger Room, but I wanted more of the Ultra brothers (they were very popular here in Brazil when I was a kid), so I'm working in a skin for the "New Ultraman"/ "Ultraman Jack"  from the 1970's series.
He's still a WIP, but I learned so much with the feedback I received in my "Superboy, Aquaboy and The Executioner" thread I could'nt resist post him.
I know he's not shiny at all, but I loved the shiny look Lightning Man gave to the original (it's better looking for a cosmic hero than a rubber suit anyway, so I used it too).

AfghanAnt

I would tone done the refl a little but honestly when I hear Ultraman this is who I see. :)

John Jr.

Yeah, it's too shiny, but I'll only fix it after I finish the skin and all those detail in the red parts are killing me :banghead:
Great to know you're a fellow Ultra fan, AA.

originalbat

I think in the crime syndicate. hahaha lol

ei, John Jr... voc? ? do Brasil? Eu tbm cara hahahah
Parab?ns pelo seu mod Batman/Superman ficou bem bacana!  :thumbup:

Scorpion13mk2

Oh yeah. Im liking the whole idea.

Its a shame we didnt get more live-action japanese sentai heroes before now. Id love to see more Ultras, although I dont know how we're gonna get more monsters than we have now.

I always especially like the Kamen Rider meshes that came out years ago when Unfluffy Bunny was still up. Those were amazing, the movements were spot on, but there wasnt much excitement about them.

John Jr.

Quote from: originalbat on April 04, 2010, 02:08:47 AM
I think in the crime syndicate. hahaha lol

ei, John Jr... voc? ? do Brasil? Eu tbm cara hahahah
Parab?ns pelo seu mod Batman/Superman ficou bem bacana!  :thumbup:

Valeu, fico muito feliz que voc? tenha gostado do Mod! Por favor deixe seu coment?rio no t?pico do Mod, dizendo o que voc? gostou, esse feedback sempre me ajuda na cria??o dos novos mods.

John Jr.

Quote from: Scorpion13mk2 on April 04, 2010, 02:24:07 AM
Oh yeah. Im liking the whole idea.

Its a shame we didnt get more live-action japanese sentai heroes before now. Id love to see more Ultras, although I dont know how we're gonna get more monsters than we have now.

I always especially like the Kamen Rider meshes that came out years ago when Unfluffy Bunny was still up. Those were amazing, the movements were spot on, but there wasnt much excitement about them.

Yeah, my Ultraman is always fighting Godzilla, I would love more Japanese monsters.

Tawodi Osdi

I think Valandar has done most of those giant monsters.  He has also done the Transformers.

daglob

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but there was an Ultraman at FXForce. New, improved version are always welcome, though.

If they weren't, I wouldn't have all these Wolverine meshes...

I think there are Male Basic Ultraman keyframes out there, too.

Scorpion13mk2

Oh yeah, Glob, but this is Ultraman Jack; The Ultraman who Returned. He was next in line after UltraSeven (Whom Ill hope well see sometime soon).

Im pretty sure that theres an Ultraman Powered floating around too, based off of the Australian show.

John Jr.

Quote from: Scorpion13mk2 on April 04, 2010, 11:45:36 PM
Oh yeah, Glob, but this is Ultraman Jack; The Ultraman who Returned. He was next in line after UltraSeven (Whom Ill hope well see sometime soon).

Im pretty sure that theres an Ultraman Powered floating around too, based off of the Australian show.

Scorpion is right. Lightning Man made a great skin for the original Ultraman, I'm trying to skin the "New Ultraman", AKA as Ultraman Jack (I'm using the same mesh as LM, Bobby 69's Ultraman). You can see both and some of their brothers here:

Original is the third from the left, "Jack" is the last, on the right corner.

John Jr.

Update.
Followed AA's and Daglob's suggestions about the reflex and details in the red parts of the costume.

laughing paradox

I like the design you put into it.. the shapes of the red, as well as the face, look really good.

However, I don't love the reflection yet. The reflection you have now makes the red on the chest seem distorted.

Try a different lightmap. Experiment with a few different ones and see how it comes out.. you may notice drastic differences.

daglob

What LP says.

I used a different lightmap (one that looks vaugely like Kirby cosmic rays) on my Machine Man skin, and it made all the difference.

John Jr.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try it.

Scorpion13mk2

Yeah, some sort of different reflection thing. You'd want to be able to see the detail on the suit, seeing as how putting all those lines on it must have been a pain.

hoss20

QuoteI think Valandar has done most of those giant monsters.

They're here: http://newpowerinc.com/ and they're AWESOME. Just go to Meshworks and click on Valandar<Gargantuans

John Jr.

I was playing with the refl and some lightmaps Daglob sent me (thanks again!).
This is my favorite result:

What you think, guys?

daglob

I haven't seen an epiode of Ultraman since the '80s (I think it was on Night Flight on the USA network), so I can't remember if the red areas are raised or not. Translation: should the edges be highlighted and shadowed?

John Jr.

Quote from: daglob on April 07, 2010, 10:35:10 PM
I haven't seen an epiode of Ultraman since the '80s (I think it was on Night Flight on the USA network), so I can't remember if the red areas are raised or not. Translation: should the edges be highlighted and shadowed?

I believe the red areas are only painted on the rubber suit.

Scorpion13mk2

Im diggin that reflection you got there. Nice.

area34

My suggestion, if you want to give a painted on look but make the edges not as jaggy you can add an outer glow to the red layer. When I want to do two colors on a outfit (but not have seams) I use the outer or inner glows to give it a less harsh line.

Tawodi Osdi

Daglob, you just really impressed me.  I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world who watched Night Flights in the 80's, but I don't remember seeing Ultraman on it.  I do remember going to see it at the movies when I was a child in the 70's.

daglob

Quote from: Tawodi Osdi on April 08, 2010, 01:48:20 AM
Daglob, you just really impressed me.  I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world who watched Night Flights in the 80's, but I don't remember seeing Ultraman on it.  I do remember going to see it at the movies when I was a child in the 70's.

Could have been on WTBS (not even a Superstation, in those days), or we were getting New Orleans stations on cable back then.

That reflection does look great, buy the way.

Tawodi Osdi

This is way off topic, but does anyone remember an old movie that was made up of different serials like Dick Tracy, Captain Marvel and so forth.  It had the heroes fighting for the forces of Muzak and they had Ming the Merciless fighting for the Rock and Roll.  Most of the characters were redubbed to say rather silly things.  I have thought so many times that it would be great get a CD of it.  Of course, now that I live a life of sobriety, I might not like as much as I think I would.

laughing paradox

The reflection is perfect, but I agree with Area and Daglob, the red could use some extra oomph.

It's a balance between being accurate to the source material and making a skin look good in the game.

You have some good suggestions from Area (the outer glow trick) and Daglob (light and dark seams on the red) that could make your skin pop.

With that said, Ultraman looks really good already.

cascarudo

John Jr.

Thanks, guys!
Area, LP,
How I make that "outer glow" trick? I just draw the red areas I want in the glow file?

area34

In Photoshop you can add effects to a layer. I don't know if you do things in layers but if the red is a separate layer you can go into the blending options and you can select(among other things) outer glow. It will only effect that layer you've selected. That's why I mentioned keeping the red as a separate layer. What I tend to do with outfits that I don't want the seam on or to soften the seam is to make the outer glow be the seams color. Depending on the color the glow will be almost completely invisible but when you view him as a 3d model you'll definitely see a difference.

The Power Packers I'm working on have no seam whats over, just an outer glow. For an example.

John Jr.

I always wanted skin this guy: James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes.
I love the Grenadier/C6 version, but I really wanted to play the older Bucky in "Last Days of the War" scenarios.
Mesh is VXMaleV2, by Vertex. I just hide parts I didn't need and unhidden the parts I needed.
I used C6's Male_Costume and Male_New Face base skins. Extras were edited over the mesh's base skin