When the dog died, we had sausages;
When the cat died, catnip tea.
When the landlord died I left, then;
Spareribs were too much for me.
(Too much for meeee...)
Fear the "A"!!!

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

vamp

Alaric

Just to give some background- I have a CD from a '70s sea-chantey group called the Starboard List. One of the songs on the CD is called simply The Boarding House Song, and is done as if it were a live recording of people singing informally in a boarding house, with a lot of talking in the background, etc. Anyway, I never really focused on the lyrics, due to the way it was presented- it came across more as a lead-in for the following song than anything else. Recently, I copied that CD to my computer and added the songs to the eclectic mix of folk, rock, television theme songs, and other music that I listen to at random while using the computer. Somehow, by chance, this particular song started coming up unusually often, and my brain started making sense out of the words... and then the song WOULDN'T LEAVE MY HEAD...

Anyway, the lyrics have led me to a couple of interesting observations:

1) Traditional music has a far greater tendency to deal with cannibalism than popular music does.

2) For some reason, the thought of dog-meat sausages disturbs me more than the thought of landlord spareribs.
Fear the "A"!!!

The Phantom Eyebrow

Quote from: Alaric on May 20, 2010, 12:00:12 AM
1) Traditional music has a far greater tendency to deal with cannibalism than popular music does.

:thumbup:  Heh.  That made me laugh far more than it should have (or more than would be considered healthy I'd warrant).  You really do learn something new every day though, eh?

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Alaric on May 18, 2010, 06:06:31 PM
In the boarding house I lived in
Everything was growing old;
Silver threads among the butter
And the cheese was green with mold.
When the dog died, we had sausages;
When the cat died, catnip tea.
When the landlord died I left, then;
Spareribs were too much for me.
(Too much for meeee...)

Cf. "The Salt," a title used by Kevin Coneff of The Chieftains on a solo album of his (entitled The Week Before Easter, if memory serves me) for what I believe is a traditional tune that has gone by various names.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and World Breaker
Two words: Moog.

Alaric

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on June 03, 2010, 07:21:47 PM

Cf. "The Salt," a title used by Kevin Coneff of The Chieftains on a solo album of his (entitled The Week Before Easter, if memory serves me) for what I believe is a traditional tune that has gone by various names.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and World Breaker

Never expected to see anyone here (other than possibly me) post a link to Mudcat...  :o
Fear the "A"!!!