News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Video Skinning Tutorial

Started by murs47, May 23, 2010, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murs47

So I recently bought a microphone and a screen recording program and I'd like to do some skinning tutorials. I was originally just going to record myself going through the entire skinning process. But, once I started, I realized it wasn't going to work out.

Instead, I'd like to create a collection of mini-tutorials based on questions the rest of you ask. For example: Podmark could ask, "Murs, how did you make the teeth on your venom skin?" In turn, I would answer his question with a video clip.

All tutorials will be hosted @ FRP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How I do my highlights.

2. Making the blue for my Spider-Man 2099.

3. Hurr...I mean hair.

4. How I did a single boot.

5. How I do a logo.

John Jr.

Great idea, Murs. Tutorials are a great help for the beginners like myself.
Let's start with "Murs, how did you make the (perfect) highlights on your Spidey 2099 skin?"

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on May 23, 2010, 11:01:33 PMFor example: Podmark could ask, "Murs, how did you make the teeth on your venom skin?"

Like I'd ask you for help  :thumbdown:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on May 23, 2010, 11:11:41 PM
Quote from: murs47 on May 23, 2010, 11:01:33 PMFor example: Podmark could ask, "Murs, how did you make the teeth on your venom skin?"

Like I'd ask you for help  :thumbdown:

:(

Hulk sad.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: John Jr. on May 23, 2010, 11:09:45 PM
"Murs, how did you make the (perfect) highlights on your Spidey 2099 skin?"

Are you asking about the seams or the highlights on the muscles?

John Jr.

The highlights on the muscles. I'm trying learn how to do highlights on my skins and yours are great looking.

laughing paradox

Cool idea. I look forward to the kind of tutorials you end up creating.

You should definitely do one on highlights.

murs47

I answered JJ's question. Check the first post for the link. ;)

laughing paradox

Murs, very cool video and a way of highlighting that I never thought of!

I look forward to some other tips you may have. You could do a tutorial on skinning extras, maybe.. I remember having a really hard time with that when I first started skinning.

deano_ue

great video murs, though i don't agree with the method it was well done

murs47

Quote from: laughing paradox on May 24, 2010, 05:52:43 PM
Murs, very cool video and a way of highlighting that I never thought of!

Thanks LP. Adobe's tagline for Photoshop should be: "There's more than one way to skin a cat." Because there are numerous ways to achieve a certain effect. My way is just one of them.

Quote from: laughing paradox on May 24, 2010, 05:52:43 PM
...You could do a tutorial on skinning extras, maybe...

Sure, did you have something specific in mind?

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on May 24, 2010, 08:56:34 PM
great video murs, though i don't agree with the method it was well done

Thanks UE.

John Jr.

Thanks for the tutorial, Murs.

murs47

area34

Very cool. I always wonder how other people do these things. With me I tend to treat the image like an actual canvas and constantly paint the highlight/shadow on top and then blend everything with the smudge tool. My way works but has it's problems. If the colors aren't right they don't blend. It becomes very much just trial and error - and because I smear so much I tend to have blurrier details. It also helps that I have a tablet too. I don't know how people can draw with a mouse.

Previsionary

Are you trying to imply something about us users that have to use the mouse to do photoshop work, Area? Oh, there's about to be a fight in this joint. *dramatic, yet exciting, fight music plays*
Disappear when you least expe--

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on May 25, 2010, 06:01:32 AM
*dramatic, yet exciting, fight music plays*

Vega's theme from Street Fighter 2? That always gets me pumped!

Podmark

I just watched your highlight video, we actually use the same technique.
Also I really got to start using my tablet.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Podmark

I have a question Murs, how do you colour your base? Like going from your original base to the blue tone you have for the Spidey 2099 skin you did.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

area34

I don't think it's a negative to be a mouse person but I couldn't draw that way (I don't even surf the internet anymore with a mouse).

laughing paradox

The extras I had in mind were maybe belts or different weapons, like a gun or a sword. I'm sure people can definitely learn from that.

However, the thing that I believe all skinners could aid from is different techniques in doing HAIR, for both male and female meshes.

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on May 25, 2010, 06:34:56 AM
I have a question Murs, how do you colour your base? Like going from your original base to the blue tone you have for the Spidey 2099 skin you did.

I don't remember exactly how I did it. I'm guessing I just took a blue version of my base and pasted it over a desaturated version of it. Set the blue to multiply and merged down. I'll play around a bit and hopefully I'll have something up by tonight.

Quote from: area34 on May 26, 2010, 04:48:35 PM
I don't think it's a negative to be a mouse person but I couldn't draw that way (I don't even surf the internet anymore with a mouse).

I don't think I could live without mine. It's like digital crack.

Quote from: laughing paradox on May 26, 2010, 05:43:19 PM
The extras I had in mind were maybe belts or different weapons, like a gun or a sword. I'm sure people can definitely learn from that.

However, the thing that I believe all skinners could aid from is different techniques in doing HAIR, for both male and female meshes.

Alrighty. I have been wanting to re-do Deadpool...again. That's a good opportunity for doing extras.

As for hair, I think I can come up with something by today or tomorrow.

murs47

Another video posted @ FRP

First post has a direct link to the tute.

Podmark

Just watched the video Murs. You use a few techniques that I don't so I'll have to try those out.
These videos are really good, quick and to the point and I think they can really help out some skinners.

The reason I asked about this was basically to see if you knew a better way to accomplish colouring bases. Sometimes I can get them the way I want quickly but other times it takes a while. Like I said above you do some things I don't so I'll try those out in future skins.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

Quote from: area34 on May 25, 2010, 05:10:47 AM
Very cool. I always wonder how other people do these things. With me I tend to treat the image like an actual canvas and constantly paint the highlight/shadow on top and then blend everything with the smudge tool. My way works but has it's problems. If the colors aren't right they don't blend. It becomes very much just trial and error - and because I smear so much I tend to have blurrier details. It also helps that I have a tablet too. I don't know how people can draw with a mouse.

I treat the skin much as canvas too and I use just a mouse...actually never had a tablet so I had to teach myself new ways to paint some stuff...though I stay away from the smudge..that thing is EVIL!!!!  More of layers of fine, low opacity paint actually works better, I find.

Maybe one day, I'll take up the challenge of showing folks my way like Murs did his..but I doubt that!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

John Jr.

May I ask another question?
Murs, how you did the boots of your Red Son Superman? Most of skins (including all of mine) has the boots looking form fitting, like spandex. Your Red Son Supes has a great leather feel and no muscles showing in his boots. How you did that?

murs47

Quote from: John Jr. on May 28, 2010, 10:50:12 PM
May I ask another question?

Ask as many questions as you want JJ. That's what this is for. My goal is to answer at least 2 questions a week.

I actually have a question. Would it be helpful to anyone to record myself making a skin? It wouldn't have any audio. I don't think I could talk that long without some sort of human interaction.

daglob

I can already skin, but I'd be interested to see how someone else does it.

murs47

The Enigma

That's fantastic, Murs. I've always struggled with hair more than any other part of a skin but with your video, I feel like I could really get a grip on it. Thank you so much for sharing your techniques.
The Enigma skin by Juancho, thanks Jay. Fate skin by Kitt Basher, thanks Kitt. Microhero by Reepicheep, thanks Reep. Fate smiley by Paradox. RIP dude.